Hard Case Crime discussion

Robert B. Parker vs. Robert B. Parker

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kemper (last edited Jul 16, 2009 11:49AM) (new)

Kemper | 34 comments Hard Case nearly fooled me because I almost bought Passport to Peril thinking it was the Robert B. Parker of Spenser fame. (And while I think that Robert B. Parker has gotten almost unreadable since the early '90s or so, I still love the early Spenser books so I was hoping this might be some quality early work.)

Anyhow, I was about to buy it when a careful reading of the back cover showed that this wasn't the author of Spenser, but another Robert B. Parker I had never heard of. I ended up not buying the book.

My question is, did this book actually rate being released or was HCC just going for a little cheap name recongition to make some quick sales from Spenser fans who weren't paying attention?

To HCC's credit, the back cover makes it clear that it isn't the Parker of Spenser fame, but this other guy. However, I thought the cover's note of "By the Original Robert B. Parker" was confusing.

There aren't any posted reviews on this one yet for me to see if it's actually a decent book, but considering that I'd never heard of this other Parker at all, I'm a little suspect of HCC's motives on this one.

Or is my ingrained GenX cynicism making me overly sensitive?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Well, the original was born 27 years before the one of Spenser fame & is now dead, but I agree, it's confusing. Look up "Robert Parker" on Fantastic Fiction, & 2 "Robert B. Parkers show up:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/r...
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/r...

The second one is the 'original'.

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 142 comments HCC is about realesing forgotten writers,books too.

This Parker must have been important in paperback pulp era to be realesed after so many years.

Your thought about them wanting to make money on another more famous authors name doesnt make any sense. They could easily get some minor book by the famous Spenser Robert B. Parker and realese it to make money on his name.

message 4: by Kemper (new)

Kemper | 34 comments @ Mohammed - I doubt HCC could get any of his books because I'd always heard that his first book (The Godwulf Manuscript) was published and all are still in print. That's why I was initially excited about this because I thought it was some kind of long lost novel.

I'm really not bagging on HCC and I'm not mad at them because it was plainly indicated on the back that it was not the Spenser RBP, but I just find it curious that out of all the old pulp stuff that's out there to reprint, they decided to go with an author who has the same exact name, including middle initial, of a guy who writes bestsellers.

That's why I'm asking if anyone has read it and thinks that it's an exceptional story that rated being reprinted and that the name is just a fluke. Or maybe the story is weak and HCC might have capitilized on an opportunity to use the name to sell a few extra copies if someone got the wrong idea.

Yes, I am a cynical bastard.....

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I didn't look hard, but Fantastic Fiction lists only this book for the original Parker. Put the name into Google & you get the Spenser writing Parker, who has a bunch of books out there, including a Wikipedia entry. Personally, if I find the time & the books, I'll read both & judge myself. I hope that HCC unearthed an oldy but goody.

message 6: by Thomas (last edited Aug 09, 2009 12:36PM) (new)

Thomas (thomasroche) | 5 comments I trust Hard Case to only release a vintage book that warrants reprinting; I can't think of a classic title I've read by them that didn't impress me. Some of their modern stuff hasn't worked with me, but Ardai seems to find only the vintage material that's either drop-dead amazing or has critical historical value, like E. Howard Hunt's recent House Dick, which was maybe not the world's best thriller but was damn good fun and by a Watergate Burglar.

In my opinion, it doesn't seem like Hard Case to capitalize on the author having the same name.

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) | 125 comments Has anyone read Passport to Peril yet? It'll probably be the next Hard Case I tackle.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I don't think I have this one yet. I still only have about half the HCC books.