What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 1980-90s Childrens Paperback book about blocks and sharing. [s]

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Nov 19, 2015 08:44AM) (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments When I was young I had a book about two kids who had blocks that they fought over. Each Child wanted to build a tower larger then the other and they were unwilling to share the blocks. Soon the towers were built, but not nearly as tall as they could have been if they had shared. After that a small child toppled the towers. They learned that they could build a taller tower by sharing the blocks rather then fighting over them.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments I should add that this is a picture book and no more then about a dozen pages.

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1074 comments I feel like I've read this book, maybe to my daughter, but I'm not sure. When were you "young"?

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments Young as in 5 years to 8 years old. I guess young is all about perspective.

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1074 comments lol - no, I mean when did you have the book - I was reading books to my daughter in the early 2000's but you might be remembering a book from your childhood in the 1970s or something.

message 6: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1074 comments I just looked at your profile, which I probably should have done to start with. You are quite a bit older than my daughter, but it is still possible I might have read this to her. I will see what I can find.

message 7: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 97 comments Good moral to the story here. A book I would find helpful to have so I am just plunking my profile here to follow the conversation.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments For me I can only guess that I had the book around 95' to 98'. I had called my Mother and asked her if she remembered the book and she says she does but not the title. she said it might have been titled, "Mine" but I cant find that title anywhere. Also she said that I checked it out at a local Library, so I cant rummage through my old books to find it.

message 9: by Kevin (last edited Nov 20, 2015 08:50AM) (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments Maybe this will help, the book used these blocks.

Building Blocks

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments Bump! Thought I would give this another go.

message 11: by Kris (last edited Dec 01, 2015 01:02PM) (new)

Kris | 17970 comments Mod
Kevin, the typical bump period is 30 days - unless you have new details to add.

message 12: by Kris (last edited Dec 04, 2015 06:18AM) (new)

Kris | 17970 comments Mod
"They're My Blocks!" (1991) by Kroha Associates., Alvin S. White Studio, and Walt Disney Company.

"Baby Pete learns that it is more fun building a castle when he shares his yellow blocks with the other Disney Babies."

http://www.worldcat.org/title/theyre-...

message 13: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 97 comments Not found on GoodReads....

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Dec 06, 2015 12:20AM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 30082 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

added

cover can be seen upper right here:

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments unfortunately those are not the books that I'm looking for. These are hard cover and the book I am thinking about was not. Also the reading level of my book would be a little bit above these.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments Blocks This is the closest I've found to what I'm looking for, but this wasn't produced till around 2010-2015.

In this book there are no words, and I know that in my book I had at least a few lines per page on most pages.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Kevin is still looking for this.

message 18: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 97 comments And you folks think it is difficult to find me in a crowd!

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments @Lobstergirl
Thank you for giving this another push. I had forgotten that I had posted on here a while back. So I've copied my 2nd(Removed) post and put it below since it has a little more information.

When I was a Child I read a book about two siblings or friends that had blocks and liked to build cities. while the two siblings tried to out do each other in how big their city could be, a third younger sibling crawled in and ended up knocking over the block city. This happened only because the two siblings were fighting over who gets what blocks and weren't paying attention.

This children book is about sharing and learning to work with each other. In my search for this book, I came across this:

Mountain View
http://fmillustration.typepad.com/blo...

This book is so very close to the book I read with a few changes being made. The blocks and the amount of siblings/Characters is exactly the same. As close as this book is, I am looking for the original book. My guess it was published some time between 1980-1995.

Please ask questions or help me find the original book as I know my daughter would love this book as much as I did at her age.

The search continues!

message 20: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 97 comments Don't give up Kevin. If I could find an obscure Satanic dissertation here, you can find your book too. Touchstones between parent and child are, IMHO, extremely important especially in today's world.

message 21: by Ayshe (last edited Apr 01, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Ayshe | 3594 comments This doesn't appear to have the third party part, but: That's Mine! by Elizabeth Winthrop?

I can't find cover image. This is the Kirkus review:
The girl"" and ""the boy"" playing here with building blocks (and unnamed throughout) are clearly unaware of Erikson's observation that boys build towers and girls enclosures; each starts out with a separate pile of blocks and each claims to have built the tallest tower, thickest walls, and biggest castle. But wait--there's another message here, and after their rivalry takes the form of knocking down each other's structures, they start to build a bigger, better castle together. And when it's done they climb inside ""and they played and they played and they played."" Sound moral, top-heavy story.
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments Ayshe wrote: "This doesn't appear to have the third party part, but: That's Mine by Elizabeth Winthrop?

I can't find cover image. This is the Kirkus review:
The girl"" and ""the bo..."

@Ayshe You are a godsend. I believe you may have found it. I've reached out to the author for more information and hopefully an image of the book. If it is in fact the book, I'll make sure and do a resolution post. Thank you.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments I should add that there is a good change I was wrong about a third party being apart of the book. its been years since I've seen it or read it. I think it threw off my search a little bit and everyone else. Sorry about that.

message 24: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 97 comments Yes, I would appreciate knowing this one has been resolved. Also, is the book still available in print?

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Milne (kmilnedc) | 14 comments Alright, I had a response from the author. This is definitely the book. I've attached the image that she sent me. This little book was published 40 years ago and I used to love looking through the pictures as a kid.

http://elizabethwinthrop.com/guestbook/
Here is a message from the author: ________________________________________
Kevin, you are right. I believe the book of mine that you’re referring to is THAT’S MINE which was published 40 years ago. What a lift it is to any writer’s heart to know that you still remember it from your childhood. I’ve sent you an email directly with a photo of the book cover which I hope will help you find a copy for your own children.

Thank you for being so persistent.

Best,

Elizabeth

Thank you to everyone for their help in putting an end to a frustrating search for this book. Now time to find a book that isn't in print and difficult to find in a good condition.

Wish me luck.

If anyone has the ability to update the image on the Goodreads page for this book with the image given, that would be great.

message 26: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3594 comments :) Great! And good luck!

Regarding the cover any librarian can upload it, but it's not confirmed that it is the cover for the specific edition that is on goodreads currently (there may have been more than one). So you can create new edition with the cover, or you can wait till you find copy and confirm the details are the same, and then you can post here or here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group... (I or another librarian may not see your post here in time).

message 27: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

How nice that the author sent you a personal message.

message 28: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 97 comments This is good to see. Thanks Kevin for your efforts to find this book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

That's Mine! (other topics)
Blocks (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Winthrop (other topics)