Morning Coffee Group discussion

Lexicon

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Feb 23, 2008 08:08AM) (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Kim made an interesting point in another thread of how some of the vocabulary is rather dated and without the use and ease of a dictionary that contains these words the reader is often times left struggling with the meaning of a passage.

I decided to start a "Lexicon" (aka glossary) thread so that we can pool the words/terms/etc that we don't know and have an easier way of finding the meaning without having to spend hours hoping to find an answer.

I love words (reasons why I have degrees and a masters in English) and I love figuring out why an author chose a specific word or phrase. So I get to combine my love for words and research here to make WWE even more enjoyable than Follett already has made it!

I will start with Kim's list and expand as people request and require. When you submit a word, please make note of the page you found it on if possible, thanks!

I hope this helps!

message 2: by Sara (last edited Feb 23, 2008 08:13AM) (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Matricularius ~ (1) A title given to feudal families that tended to ecclesiastical (church held, suitable of God) held lands. (2) One of the obedientiaries in a Benedictine Monastery -- A person in charge of making sure the house is ready for work. (3) The subsacrist, also known as the secretary, the "matricularius", or the master of work.

(Probably referring to Godwyn.)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Clerestory ~ (1) The upper level of a church or cathedral. (2) Any window or traceried opening in a church, e.g. in an aisle, tower, cloister, or screen. (3 - modern) Windows in an aisled nave, or to the range of wall in which the high windows are set. Sometimes these windows are very small, being mere quatrefoils or spherical triangles. (4 - modern) A high wall with a band of narrow windows along the very top. The clerestory wall usually rises above adjoining roofs.

Pronounced ~ "clear story"

Picture Definition

message 4: by Sara (last edited Feb 23, 2008 09:13AM) (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Ribvaulting ~ A rib vault or ribbed vault is any vault reinforced by masonry ribs. A rib vault may be a quadripartite rib vault (which is divided into four sections by two diagonal ribs) and a sexpartite rib vault (a rib vault whose surface is divided into six sections by three ribs).

Picture Definition

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Extrados ~ (1) The upper or exterior curve of an arch. (See figure 1 in picture defintion link.) (2) The exterior curve or boundary of the visible face of the arch. (See figure 2 in picture definition link.)

Picture Definition

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Sycophant ~ A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

(Probably referring to Godwyn, again.)

message 7: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 187 comments Mod
*Applause* .. fantastic job Sara!

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim prevaricate pg 196
physiognomy pg 203
(I did look these up..but come on ...everyone knew what these words meant?)

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Prevaricate ~ To deliberately mislead; to lie.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 65 comments Mod
Physiognomy ~ Interpretation of the outward appearance, especially facial features, that may give insight into the person's character or personality.

The theory of Physiognomy is actually a very interesting one. And if you google "physiognomy" there are countless websites about facial features and how they relate to a person's personality.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim perspicacity. pg 270 (hope you are enjoying this...it seems to be just you and I... I am having fun finding words!)

message 12: by CS (new)

CS (chrisubus) hey, I love words too! I'll play.

Perspicacity ~ 1)shrewdness: intelligence manifested by being astute (as in business dealings) 2)judgment: the capacity to assess situations or circumstances shrewdly and to draw sound conclusions

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim hey Im at about 400 have not had any problem words in awhile..

message 14: by CS (new)

CS (chrisubus) I've heard this twice now: phlegmatic.

Looked it up myself and found this:
showing little emotion; "a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative man"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim yeah...that was one of my words too.