Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Themed Movies/Shows > Showtimes "The Tudors"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 824 (824 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Anyone watching and want to discuss?

message 2: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Haven't seen them all yet... only the first 2 seasons and I don't think I saw all of season 2. Anything in particular you want to talk about?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I've seen them all. what part do you want to talk about?

message 4: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Anything really. I think the show is hideously inaccurate but the costumes and scenery are gorgeous! Was it just me who got so into the first two seasons that I actually cried both when Thomas Moore and Queen Katherine died?

Opinions of the casting? Natalie Dormer was excellent as AB, JRM is sexy and intense as Henry, I do think KH was poorly poorly cast. I am not looking forward to seeing those episodes.

I am not caught up yet either, I have to finish S2 and watch S3.

message 5: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments JRM is entirely sexy, isn't he? Just can't picture him fat and rotting!

message 6: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Oh no, JRM refesued flat out to "get fat" seems like he didn't refuse getting more muscular and sexier by the day!

Besides by the time AB got to him he was starting to get old and fat then the accident and rotting ulcer. He's already trying to ditch AoC (I haven't finished S2 or seen S3 so just going off of what I have heard).

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I agree with the JRM comments. I have seen all three seasons so far I love the costumes. Whether or not they are accurate, they are stunning. The best casting so far has been Natalie Dormer as AB and Maria Kennedy as Katherine. I was sad to see AB go because I enjoyed watching Natalie Dormer so much. Let me know when you finish season 2 and we can discuss.

message 8: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Yes, I cannot stand AB but ND played her with incredible acting skill. MKD as Queen Katherine was also extremely well cast, beautiful accent and portrayal of KoA's strength.

I also completely got pulled into the actor that portrayed Thomas Moore. What a man to be so steadfast in his religion and beliefs.

Oh, and Peter O'Toole as the Pope? For the casting directors to score such a classic old school actor was amazing. Did you know in the episode where PO delivered a lengthy prayer to the masses in latin, after the first take he nailed the scene so well the extras and actors forgot themselves and applauded him.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Funny, I was going to include Thomas More in my note last night but decided that might be gushing a little too much. But I agree, his character is very compelling. And how could I forget Peter O'Toole?? Man, he was fantastic. I found myself wishing he had a bigger role. I didn't know that about how well he did the scene. He is phenomenal.

message 10: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments LOL Lyn, I have no shame about Tudor gushing (or dissing) but that's what we are all here for to openly obsessive about all things Tudor right?

Gush alert: the first season opening credits would give me the chills thinking of the upcoming episode with PO, JRM, MKD, ND and I can't think of the name of the guy who played Thomas Moore.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) It was Jeremy Northam, and he was great. And by the way - I could sit and watch Henry Cavill all day long!!

message 12: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 47 comments Lyn wrote: "It was Jeremy Northam, and he was great. And by the way - I could sit and watch Henry Cavill all day long!!"

I agree on both counts! I saw today that Joely Richardson is slated to play Katherine Parr next season.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (chaigrl) Henry Cavill is a sexy man!

I really liked Sir Thomas Moore and was very sad when he lost his head.

I wonder if this show will make it through all of the wives? And if it does continue to get more seasons what will they do then?

message 14: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Which one is Henry Cavill?

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) My understanding is that the next season will cover the remaining wives. I don't think the series is going to go past that, though.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 4 comments It is a shame that the series will not go past Henry and his wives. There could be so much more that could carry it on..His Son whom he left the throne too. Then Bloody Mary, and my absolute favorite Tudor Elizabeth.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Jennifer - He is the actor who plays Charles Brandon.

Stephanie - I agree, I think there is so much more available here!

message 18: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Thanks Lyn. I thought it might be Brandon and he is delicious! That show is so full of beautiful people that I don't even care how inaccurate it is!

Stephanie, I agree too! Henry's not the only interesting part of the Tudors, not by a long shot. Actually, in some ways, the history gets more interesting when Henry dies. (Elizabeth's my favorite, too!)

message 19: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Susan wrote: "My understanding is that the next season will cover the remaining wives. I don't think the series is going to go past that, though."

Yes, that's what I've heard too. I think it would be interesting to keep going with Henry's children but the series will go out with a bang as it were with everyone wanting more. Better that than the series to just peter off.

Jennifer- I totally agree, so many gorgeous people, scenery, costumes, it dazzles even Tudor lovers so much we glaze over the horrid amount of inacuracies!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) so - Colleen, how are you coming on watching the shows?? I am thinking of renting them from Netfilx from the beginning and pigging out on them since I miss them. Especially since my son is leaving for school tomorrow, and I will be on my own all day.

message 21: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I've seriously got to get these and start over at the beginning too. I know I haven't seen them all yet so I want to start fresh. Or maybe it's just an excuse to spend days watching JRM? heehee

message 22: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments Lyn wrote: "so - Colleen, how are you coming on watching the shows?? I am thinking of renting them from Netfilx from the beginning and pigging out on them since I miss them. Especially since my son is leaving..."
Lyn, you should rent all the Showtime Tudor movies. Isn't JRM magnificent as Henry. I watched them all and then watched them again on the Showtime repeats.
Mary Lou

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) If you have Showtime on Demand from your Cable TV company, you can watch the last season (#3). When Season 4 comes out, you can watch them a week ahead of advertised presentation. That was the case last year.

message 24: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I've only watched the first season and different parts of the second season. The inaccuracies freak me out!!!! but JRM is sooooo beautiful, how could I say no?? I wish the show would continue after Henry. After all, it is called The Tudors, and there are a couple more Tudors after Henry dies....*SIGH*

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) Aly wrote: "I've only watched the first season and different parts of the second season. The inaccuracies freak me out!!!! but JRM is sooooo beautiful, how could I say no?? I wish the show would continue afte..."

What a neat idea!

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 4 comments Oh the inaccuracies drive me crazy with the series. I just can't help watching though just to see JRM. I am surprised I haven't seen him on the cover of a magazine for the sexiest man alive.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 4 comments BTW. I just added THL on my facebook. So excited about that. :)

message 28: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments Stephanie wrote: "Oh the inaccuracies drive me crazy with the series. I just can't help watching though just to see JRM. I am surprised I haven't seen him on the cover of a magazine for the sexiest man alive. " JRM should be on the cover of all women's magazines as sexiest man alive.

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin Rowe (erins2run) | 5 comments Amber wrote: "Henry Cavill is a sexy man!

I really liked Sir Thomas Moore and was very sad when he lost his head.

I wonder if this show will make it through all of the wives? And if it does continue to ge..."

I think so too!

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin Rowe (erins2run) | 5 comments I can't get enough of this show! Am waiting to get my hands on Season 3....I thought season 2 was a little bloody! Totally love Katherine and cried when she died.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Henry Cavill is my favorite. I could watch him all day.

message 32: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments Lyn wrote: "Henry Cavill is my favorite. I could watch him all day. "

Mary Lou wrote: I so agree with you , Lyn

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Don't you love how instead of being all intellectual and discussing the merits of the show, and the inaccuracies of the portrayals, we are focusing on the merits of the various male actors, LOL?

message 34: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments LOL They do have a lot of various merits :D

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin Rowe (erins2run) | 5 comments Hell yeah! Too bad Henry the 8th didn't look that good in tights!

message 36: by Connie (new)

Connie (boleynfan) | 41 comments Lyn wrote: "Don't you love how instead of being all intellectual and discussing the merits of the show, and the inaccuracies of the portrayals, we are focusing on the merits of the various male actors, LOL?"

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...haha

I have enjoyed JRM (and Henry Cavill) through every delicious, inaccurate moment.

message 37: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I drive my boyfriend crazy when I watch the show because I point out everything that is wrong and give him a more accurate description of things. (I'm sure he also isn't thrilled when I gush over JRM and Henry Cavill!!)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) That is the crux of the issue, isn't it. We know what the inaccuracies are, so we look for the silver lining the costumes and the hunks!

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin Rowe (erins2run) | 5 comments that makes it all better!!! LOL

message 40: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (kellie35) | 2 comments Haha I'm new here guys so just peeking around- I love the show too. I study this period at Uni and agree the inaccuracies are unbelievable but having said that.... I can't get enough :) I'm in Aus though so we have only just had S2 released :(

As much as I would like to see the show continue to his kids, there is one slight problem... Lady Jane Grey. THe grandaughter of Charles Brandon and Mary Tudor, Henry's younger sister. But in the show, both of Henry's sisters were combined into one and although 'Margaret' married Brandon, they did not have any children :( If they continue the series I would really love to see how they fix that small minor detail up lol :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Kellie - You are absolutely correct. What would they do about Lady Jane Grey both her mother and grandmother never existed. Hmmm. Interesting dilemma. Of course, since they are not really interested in accuracy, they could just skip her 9 days and go from Edward to Mary. I'm sure they would figure out some way to justify it.

As you said, though, inaccuracies not withstanding, I can't wait for this show each season, and wish the seasons were longer.

message 42: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookspinesandwine) I love the show. There are many inaccuracies but also a lot of details that really did happen are included in the show. And the show has sparked interest and caused a lot of people to want to learn more about the real Tudors so I think that's great. ND did an amazing job playing Anne Boleyn.

message 43: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookspinesandwine) Oh. And Henry Cavil? HOT

message 44: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Is anyone else bothered by the casting choice for Katherine Howard?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) In what way Colleen. I was because she looked like Roman Polanski bait. You know, about 12 or so.

Danielle - I agree, both HC and ND were great. And HC is certainly hot!!

message 46: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments She may be in her twenties but she does look about 12yrs old, that doesn't sit well with me. Makes the whole thing creepy. I don't like how the actress is portraying KH. Blech.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) That's what I thought, it makes the whole thing creepy. And she is so blatant. I'm going to have to research KH to see if she was really that bad.

message 48: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 47 comments Colleen wrote: "Is anyone else bothered by the casting choice for Katherine Howard?"

She really bugs me and her laugh is annoying.

message 49: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments KH was as i understand it more a silly girl and a pawn of her uncle. She was so young and in love with love so the actress portraying her as a cunning whore is just wrong wrong wrong. Her laugh... *shudder*

message 50: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I haven't seen any of the episodes with KH in them yet... It doesn't sound good though! Sad!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17