The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Looking for books similar to "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for books with a combination of any or all the the following:

- A murder mystery (especially when characters get picked off one-by-one and they don't know who's going to be next!!)
- A creepy or isolated location (a big country manor house with a weird butler or something, an island, etc)
- Weather: thunder, blowing gales, hurricanes, tornadoes, torrential rain, etc.

I loved "And Then There Were None" as it had the one-by-one murders, the creepy/isolated location. I also loved Shutter Island as it had the isolated location and the weather etc. Anyone know any more along these lines?

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 906 comments You might like another of Agatha Christie's mysteries The A.B.C. Murders. It has multiple murders one-by-one.

message 3: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (wordtrix) | 8331 comments You might also like her Murder on the Orient Express -- train gets stuck in a blizzard, murderer has to be on the train.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Joseph and Heather! Thank you so much for your recommendations. I've actually read both of those but those are both great examples of the types of things I am looking for so thank you very much. :)

message 5: by Joseph (last edited Mar 26, 2014 11:48AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 906 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Joseph and Heather! Thank you so much for your recommendations. I've actually read both of those but those are both great examples of the types of things I am looking for so thank you very much. :)"

No big surprise you've read more of Christie's works. I find that most of the mysteries I read tend to be one murder per book, but a few that I have come across that are good serial murderer cases are:
Dark Eye and Strip Search by William Bernhardt, starring Susan Pulaski, a police psychologist in Las Vegas.
Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano, a 4-star YA mystery that just came out this month.
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting, first in a YA series about a teenager who has the "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered.