Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Xandra's read-a-thon.... Fueled by puppy snuggles and Mountain Dew.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments This will be my first 24 hour read-a-thon. I participate in my school's two week read-a-thon every year and have been doing the Book Riot Read Harder challenge along with my goodreads challenge so I'm excited to knock even more off my TBR list! I'll also be posting over on my Instagram ( @xandraj09 ), where I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures of Rue, Turkey, and Eamon, my resident snugglers. :)

message 2: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 1392 comments Mod
That is so exciting that your school does a two week read-a-thon every year. I am definitely jealous of that fact!

message 3: by Kathryn CA (new)

Oh, and I have moved your thread over to the blogless folder.

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Darn. That's where I thought I posted it but it was from my iPad so I may have done something wrong. Thanks! Happy reading!

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Mini challenge 1:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Nashville, TN
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Extra Toasty Cheeze its.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I am an elementary school special Ed teacher. I have two dogs (Rue and Turkey) and a foster puppy through the rescue group Pittie in Pink. I'm also doing the read harder challenge through book riot and have read over 60 books since January. :)
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I'm looking forward to an excuse to ignore adult life things and read in comfy clothes with puppy snuggles all day :) also knocking more off my TBR list.

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments First up: finishing this off:
How They Met, and Other Stories by David Levithan
Got to meet David Levithan a week ago and it was amazing! He's awesome.

message 7: by Kathryn CA (new)

Two of my sisters went to college in Nashville. I've visited there a couple of times. Great city!

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Two of my sisters went to college in Nashville. I've visited there a couple of times. Great city!"
make sure they check out the Southern Festival of Books- you should too. It's pretty amazing. Got to meet some authors, listen to author talks, and buy book related stuff. :)

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments #shelfie for mini challenge 3 is on my instagram https://instagram.com/xandraj09/ Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments cover escape is also up on instagram Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 71 comments Good luck x

message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Book Scavenger Hunt answers:
Currently reading: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
1. something hard: ""whittling words into the branches with my pen, allowing my hear to break in private"
2. Something fast: "a gang of miniature Toby skate rats whiz by on their boards, tearing apart the sidewalk, quiet as a 747"
3. Something sweet: plum tarts
4. Something high: "I hear he had another treetop visitor the other day"...."She rode up with him in the barrel high into the canopy" 5. Something funny: "Aunt Gooch! Aunt Gooch!" Gram is shrieking in between peals of laughter. Aunt Gooch is the name Bailey and I gave to Gram's laugh because it would arrive without notice like a crazy relative who shows up at the door with bright pink hair, a suitcase full of balloons, and no intention of leaving."

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments next up: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

message 14: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments oops, forgot to say that I just finished The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

message 15: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (OhKaeReads) | 52 comments You're doing great. :) This is my first 24 hour readathon as well. Hope you're having fun!

message 16: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Thanks, Miranda! I've had to stay off social media for the most part or I get too distracted. How's yours going?

message 17: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (OhKaeReads) | 52 comments Alexandra wrote: "Thanks, Miranda! I've had to stay off social media for the most part or I get too distracted. How's yours going?"

Yeah, I have been distracted by that for the past half hour. Haha. Mine is going well. :) I can feel myself starting to fade though, going to have some pizza and maybe a walk to try and get going again.

message 18: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Mid event survey:
1. What are you reading right now?
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
2. How many books have you read so far?
I am now on book 3
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Seeing how many books I can finish before I can no longer fight off sleep.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Yes! Letting the dogs out, unexpected guest coming for dinner so I had to clean the house... I've had a hard time focusing with all the social media stuff, so I've had to leave my phone and iPad in another room and only visit them during breaks so I don't get sucked in.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
How slowly I actually read. I really thought I'd be further along by now!

message 19: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Accio, cinnamon rolls! Challenge:
We accept the pizza we think we deserve. - the perks of being a wallflower.
(Had home made pizza for dinner tonight)

message 20: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Accio, cinnamon rolls! Challenge:
We accept the pizza we think we deserve. - the perks of being a wallflower.
(Had home made pizza for dinner tonight)

message 21: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 17-18 is where sleep started to take over.
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
For people who like YA: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon; I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor (long, but so good)
For something that will make you laugh out loud: Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson, Let's Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
Honestly, I had to stay away from social media in order to actually get reading done. Some of the mini challenges were fun, but for me hourly was too much so I just checked every once in a while.
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
It was fun to see how many other people were also doing it.The scavenger hunt mini-challenge was really fun!
How many books did you read?
3. I wanted to read more, but sleep won out since I knew I had work to do the next day.
What were the names of the books you read?
How they Met & Other Stories by David Levithan, The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan
Which book did you enjoy most?
The Sky is Everywhere, though I liked some of the short stories in How they Met a lot.
Which did you enjoy least?
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? N/A
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again?
very!
What role would you be likely to take next time?
reader again :)

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Readathon Year 2 is approaching quickly. Excited to cross some books off my TBR list!

message 23: by Kathryn CA (new)

Welcome back!

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison Barilone (bookgirl1987) | 128 comments Gearing up for this spring read-a-thon with you Alexandra!

message 25: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Thanks, ladies! I've recruited a few friends to join in as well so I'm excited about that.
Current plans for my reading pile: finishing Stars Above, the book of speculation, the wise mans fear (king killer chronicles 2) on audiobook when my eyes need a break, and probably some of the bad feminist essays in between. I have a feeling I may need to throw some light short stories or kids books in there too.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah A (simplerevelry) | 66 comments Your list sounds great! Let me know if you want to add Nimona :) I think my reading list is way too big, for the event, but I'm excited nonetheless.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 250 comments Sarah: Too many books is not a bad thing! It gives you flexibility in case something just isn't clicking with you.

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison Barilone (bookgirl1987) | 128 comments I agree with Amy, we all need variety and tons of choices!

message 29: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Opening Meme

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Nashville, TN
Stella by Starlight
Jeni's wild berry lavender ice cream
I'm a special Ed teacher. I have 3 dogs (one is a foster puppy) who I'm a little obsessed with. I used to get in trouble with my parents for reading too much.

message 30: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Top 5 childhood bookish moments:
1. Pat the bunny was one of my faves as a baby, or so I've been told.
2. I have a picture of my brother reading a book with me that has always been a favorite. My brother wasn't a big reader but I love that when he was still little he took the time to sit with me and read.
3. My first library card from the montville township public library in Nj... Which I still have.
4. Discovering the library on LBI where we would go on vacation during the summer and spent most of my summer weekends. I would check out tons of books and the my parents would get mad at me because I would stay inside reading instead of going to the beach with them.
5. The redwall series. I never left home without a book and people would always comment about how giant these books were (I have always been small). The hostess at a restaurant that we went to often would always ask to see what I was reading and talk to me about it. I later ended up working at that same restaurant. And I have now read every single redwall book. ❤️

message 31: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments https://instagram.com/p/BEi1P1WrVFV/ for the picture I was referring to and one of my dad reading to us!

message 32: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Hour 3 mini challenge: 5 word story about books.
Trees create oxygen and books.
❤️

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Apr 23, 2016 08:00AM) (new)

Sarah (SarahJh26) Just wanted to say love the mountain dew and puppy snuggles!

message 34: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Haha. Thanks. And it's totally accurate.

message 35: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Finished book 1: Stella by starlight.

message 36: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Mid-Event Survey:

1. What are you reading right now?
Bone: quest for the spark
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Finishing more books!
A few.. Went to the doctor. Got diagnosed with strep. Got some meds. Combating the illness related interruptions with Advil and beverages.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
How hard it has been to stay focused this time. I keep struggling to stay awake, but I'm guessing it's because I'm sick.

message 37: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Book mashup: The perks of being a serpent King (perks of being a wallflower + the serpent King). A group of misfit teens bond over music and use their friendship to help get over their dysfunctional families.

message 38: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Literary wanderlust: Woodsong by Gary paulsen. Well... I wouldn't last long. As much as I'd love being surrounded by sled dogs, 40 degrees below 0 is far too cold for me.

message 39: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments End of Event Survey
Which hour was most daunting for you?
20 is where I fell asleep.
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Daughter of smoke and bone trilogy. I'll give you the sun. Two boys kissing.
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season?
I think it was great!
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Loved the Facebook group.
How many books did you read?
3 whole books and part of a fourth
What were the names of the books you read?
Wood song, Stella by starlight, bone: quest for the spark, and part of the book of speculation
Which book did you enjoy most?
Stella by starlight
Which did you enjoy least?
Book of speculation, but I also didn't get very far
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
Definitely going to participate again! Probably just a reader again though if it happens to fall on my Fall break I may be able to help more.

message 40: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (snumpus) | 40 comments Strep is horrible. I'm really impressed that you were able to participate in a readathon at all while you had it. I hope you feel better soon!

message 41: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Thanks, Nicki! Took the day off work to rest but should be back to normal tomorrow :) hopefully I'll get more done on the next readathon. Hope yours was great!

message 42: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Gearing up for this year. On my TBR potentials stack: I Dissent, Bone Gap, A Monster Calls, Confetti Girl, Never Let Me Go, and Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog

message 43: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Nashville, TN
Bone Gap
Lentil Chips
I'm an elementary school special Ed teacher. I have 3 dogs and 2 "porch cats" that are basically now mine (neighborhood strays that I've been caring for)- so basically my house is a zoo, but with more books.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I don't think I'll read as late today because I'm going to see my nephew tomorrow morning- need to be awake for a 2 hour drive

message 44: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Hour 5 puzzle challenge:
1 vow
2 gown
3 candles, cake
4 gifts
5 rings
6 veil
7 bride
8 couple
9 groom
10 bell
11 flowers
12 honeymoon

Such a fun challenge idea!

message 45: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Oct 22, 2016 03:08PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (Scoobydoo0811) | 239 comments Go Reader Go!!!! Hope you are enjoying all of your books.

Keep reading and have fun :)

message 46: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Thanks, Robin. On book 3 now! Happy reading to you as well.

message 47: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments 1. What are you reading right now?
Bone Gap
Finished 2. On my third
Bone Gap
Well, there was a crazy person at the end of my block screaming at someone that they rebuke them in the name of Jesus, and weren't afraid of the two demons inside of them... so that was an interesting interruption. Dealt with it by calling the non emergency police number.

message 48: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Which hour was most daunting for you?
19.5 is where I fell asleep. I knew I had to be awake and functioning for a 2 hour drive mid-morning

message 49: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments Ready for April 2017!

message 50: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (xandraj09) | 77 comments 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Nashville, TN
Rereading I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson
Peanut m&ms
I'm an elementary school special ed teacher with 3 seventy pound dogs 😊
Take some breaks to get up and move around. Today I'll be visiting a local independent book store briefly for an event, and possibly snagging something to add to my pile for today. 😉

« previous 1