Short Story Connect discussion

FEATURED AUTHOR 2014 - 2016 > Featured Author Discussion - Tim Jopling - Oct 14-28

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DigiWriting (new)

DigiWriting | 523 comments Mod
Join us on Wednesday, October 28, 2015, for a special discussion with author Tim Jopling: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show.... If you have a question for him, please post it in this thread, where Tim will be discussing his writing and books.

Remember - you can post questions here throughout the duration of the Featured Author Read at any time!

Looking forward to the discussion!

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 57 comments Hi Tim, and congratulations on your books.

I attended a talk recently where, along with a couple of crime/thriller writers, a spy writer took part. The interviewer intermittently asked the audience for a show of hands to indicate which of the books had the most appeal. While the crime and thriller books seemed to be popular with both men and women, the spy thriller appeared to have mostly male fans. At the risk of sounding sexist, my question is whether you have noticed a gender bias in your readers, or do you find that the family aspect widens the appeal?

Helen

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 32 comments Hi Tim,
I'm looking forward to your Q&A. I was checking out your books that run about 200 pages each. Do you consider these books to be short stories or have you written some shorter works?

message 4: by Talia (new)

Talia Crockett  | 52 comments Hello Tim,

I am interested in the editorial side of your writing. In your opinion, what qualities contribute to an ideal editor?

Thanks!

message 5: by Blue Moon (last edited Oct 27, 2015 01:55PM) (new)

Blue Moon Publishers (bluemoonpublishers) | 146 comments Mod
Hi Tim,

How do you select the titles for your books? Do they grow from your writing, or do you have the title in mind before you start to write?

Thanks!

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim Jopling | 6 comments Hi Helen,

Great to hear from you and thanks for the question. It’s interesting as I was expecting my target audience to be male dominated but I’ve actually found more women reading my novels than men. Although it’s easy to label my novels as Spy Thrillers I do think anyone can read them as ultimately they are about relationships, functioning or otherwise! The Spy element allows the characters to interact and clash but ultimately it’s the relationships between the characters that keeps the books exciting and readable. I really enjoy writing these characters more than anything else so it’s been great to see that people of any age, sex or background can read my books and enjoy them. Often they are people that have not read anything similar before but they have really enjoyed them which has been such a boost.

Thanks

Tim

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Jopling | 6 comments Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the question. When I wrote my first novel it was far longer (around 180k words) and originally I had this approach of writing ‘epic’ novels of that length but in reality this proved so difficult to maintain especially as I work full time. Recently my approach has been to write novels between 60-80k words and look to make them punchier and fast paced which is the style I’ve developed writing these novels anyway. That works for the reader I feel and it works for me too so I can develop the series with the free time I have available. I do find writing short stories is a lot of fun too, I've enjoyed writing some of those when I've been on holiday, they are really flexible!

Thanks

Tim

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Jopling | 6 comments Hi Talia,

Thanks for the quesiton. Regarding what makes a good editor well first of all an obsession with grammer! At the same time I would want to see them reading a lot of books and be passionate about what they do. I've encountered a few that are frustrated writers so they are more interested in their own efforts than yours so its not easy to find one that shares the same values as you. Either way a good editor has to have an excellent eye for detail, be able to explain what changes were made and why, and be brutally honest with you about your work but still retain some sensitivity.

Tim

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim Jopling | 6 comments Thanks for the question Blue Moon.

The titles of any of my books are so important! It really is critical to any potential reader and to me too as its the first time I can connect with the novel as a whole and build from there. When I'm looking to write a novel I will create a basic map of what is going to happen and why and therefore where events will take place and to whom. Once I have those basic elements mapped out I will choose a title but it has to be something punchy and eye catching and have a level of intensity to it as well. Currently then the first two books available in the Akira and Deane series are:

Book 1: Out of the Shadows
Book 2: Underground Murmurs

The next books in the series will be:

Book 3: Double Cross
Book 4: Judgement Calls
Book 5: Rogue Retrieval

The rest are all in development but those book titles are so important I can't stress that enough!

Tim

message 10: by DigiWriting (new)

Hi Tim - A question we like to pose to authors - What would be the most important message that you would like the reader to take away with them after reading a story of yours?

As well, do you have a favourite theme that you like to explore?

Thanks!

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim Jopling | 6 comments Good question DigiWriting!

I do have a specific process to writing my novels as I like to have several story threads on the go at one time so I can switch from one to the other and have little cliffhangers as I go. To do that then I will map out on a board the basic premise, novel title, and basically what will happen. Once that's done I will start the writing process and flesh out the plan as I go - I've tried to plan it all out at the start but its too static and you'll think of better twists and turns when you're actually writing the book. As I work full time in IT I then look to try and be connected to the novel at least once a week so I set aside an evening and part of the weekend every week to at least write something or develop it further.

I would love to say my life revolves around my writing but having to work for a living does get in the way! I do try to make it as much of a priority as possible though as I do get so much from it.

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim Jopling | 6 comments Thanks DigiWriting!

I always really enjoy hearing from a reader no matter what their viewpoint is but in particular when they comment on the fast pace of the book (and they just had to keep reading) and they understood and recognised the complexities of the relationships in the story. That for me is key so I always like to hear from people who have understood and been able to identify what has happened and why.

In terms of a favourite them I do like to explore the personal elements of each character i.e. their relationships, vulnerabilities, and look to make them as human as possible - that way the reader will hopefully be able to connect with them.

message 13: by DigiWriting (new)

Thank you, Tim! We very much enjoyed having you as our Featured Author and reading your insightful answers. See you around the group!