A Good Thriller discussion

Group Read Archive > Group Read - Read Along and Q&A with Heather Burnside - Slur - from November 1st

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5323 comments Mod
Our popular member, Heather Burnside, has agreed to do our November Read Along and Q&A for the month of November. Her debut thriller, Slur, is on a promotional offer right now and I believe it will also be available again for a few days at the beginning of November. I hope you'll join in the reading and reviewing of the book.

message 2: by David (last edited Oct 08, 2015 09:28AM) (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 1968 comments Already have it on my Kindle, and should manage to read it by then.

message 3: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I downloaded it today. It's on offer! :) Looking forward to this.

message 4: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 6730 comments Mod
Don't forget FREE till Sunday.

What an offer from Heather, thanks.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Janet wrote: "Our popular member, Heather Burnside, has agreed to do our November Read Along and Q&A for the month of November. Her debut thriller, Slur, is on a promotional offer right now and I believe it wil..."
Thanks Janet. Sorry to be pernickety but due to Amazon rules and regulations, it won't be free again until after 18th November. However, it's currently free until Sunday. :)

message 6: by Janet , Moderator (new)

No worries, you've said it and that's fine! :)

If you want this book for FREE, GET IT NOW.... IS THE MESSAGE! ON OFFER UNTIL SUNDAY 11TH OCTOBER

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Janet wrote: "No worries, you've said it and that's fine! :)

If you want this book for FREE, GET IT NOW.... IS THE MESSAGE! ON OFFER UNTIL SUNDAY 11TH OCTOBER"

Cheers Janet. :)

message 8: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (Agnieszka7) | 1443 comments Thank you I got it. Though I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage with the book seems preaty intense. If not now I'll read it than later :-)

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Hunter (kerryelizabeth) | 268 comments Downloaded it. Looks pretty fun so I'm excited :)

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Kerry wrote: "Downloaded it. Looks pretty fun so I'm excited :)"

Thanks Kerry (and everybody else who has downloaded it). I'm looking forward to the group readalong. :)

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 10 comments Got it and I'm in!

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris | 262 comments I can actually do the group read I have the book on my kindle.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Hello Chris and Chris. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all about the book. Big thanks too to Sean and Janet for giving me this opportunity. :)

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Mccarthy | 76 comments Not free in australia bummer

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments Been waiting to read this book & delighted to be able to share. Which means finish Eden this week to get the deck cleared.

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 280 comments I read it earlier - and the new one - you really must go on to read A Gangster's Grip when you've finished.

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (Twirleyshirley) | 2 comments Just downloaded

message 18: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Great, good to see some interest here.

The book will be on offer again for a few days at the beginning of next month, I believe. I'm sure Heather herself will be along in the next couple of days to say.

message 19: by Sean, Moderator (new)

I have this book, and ready to start in November.

That's come quick !

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy | 28 comments So excited to see this!

I read this recently so won't be participating in the read along but will definitely pop in for the discussion and q&a! Look forward to seeing what everyone thinks :)

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Thanks everyone. It's lovely to see your positive responses and I'm looking forward to discussing 'Slur' with you. Apologies to those of you who missed the free promotion of Slur. Unfortunately, under Amazon guidelines I cannot make it available free again until after 19th November but I will be running another free promotion for three days on 20th, 21st and 22nd November.

message 22: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Thanks for the info, Heather. :)

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Janet wrote: "Thanks for the info, Heather. :)"

You're welcome Janet. Thank you for your help and support. :)

message 24: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 25, 2015 11:08AM) (new)

Agnieszka (Agnieszka7) | 1443 comments Heather wrote: "Thanks everyone. It's lovely to see your positive responses and I'm looking forward to discussing 'Slur' with you. Apologies to those of you who missed the free promotion of Slur. Unfortunately, un..."

Yeah Amazon is often a pain in the neck - especially for the authors. I was helping some authors to get their free books free at the German paige as they have to prove from other sources these are supposes to be free and that kind of stuff - I'm less and less found of Amazon and try to get my books as much as possible from other shops :-)

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Heather wrote: "Thanks everyone. It's lovely to see your positive responses and I'm looking forward to discussing 'Slur' with you. Apologies to those of you who missed the free promotion of Slur. U..."

Oh yes, I think that's probably permafree. Amazon don't let you price your books as free for more than 5 days a quarter through their Select programme, but if they see a book offered free elsewhere they will automatically price match it. I am only with Amazon. I've found that they offer a lot of advantages for authors although they also wield a lot of power.

message 26: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Carleton | 6 comments Hi Heather, joined the group specially for this, looking forward to reading it with you! Soph

message 27: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments Starting Slur. My elliptical trainer read.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris | 10 comments I read the introduction a little bit ago. Hoping to dive in tonight or tomorrow.

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Hi Soph, Bill and Chris. I'm looking forward to chatting about 'Slur' with you and am happy to answer any questions you may have. :)

message 30: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Hoping to start in the next two days, just finishing a book.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Sean wrote: "Hoping to start in the next two days, just finishing a book."

Great, I'm looking forward to it Sean. :)

message 32: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 2935 comments Heather, I'm 34% into Slur. I'm finding that I'm getting really upset with DI Bowden! He seems to rely only on his opinion and already has his mind made up. I feel such a sense of injustice and unfairness.

And I just want to shake Rita! Smarten up, girl!

Are these the reactions you expected to these two characters?

message 33: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I'll be getting stuck into this after my current read. :)

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris | 10 comments I'm 25% in and really enjoying it. Was a little surprised Julie's mom would encourage her to go out again after what just happened though. I sympathize with her father, but then I'm a father of 3 girls so that's how it is :)

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Brenda wrote: "Heather, I'm 34% into Slur. I'm finding that I'm getting really upset with DI Bowden! He seems to rely only on his opinion and already has his mind made up. I feel such a sense of injustice and unf..."
Hi Brenda, thanks for your feedback.
With DI Bowden, yes definitely. He's very old fashioned and has old fashioned values. He doesn't like the sort of girls who go out to nightclubs getting drunk and up to all sorts of mischief so he takes an instant dislike to the girls. Plus, the area they come from is a rough area and certain sectors of society would pre-judge them based on that.
Rita is a complex character. She's brash, feisty and flirtatious to the point of embarrassment. She has had a tough upbringing and this affects how she deals with life. I wanted to show the contrast between the two girls and how they react to the accusations. Although Julie lives near to Rita, she comes from a much more respectable family and has therefore had a different upbringing. Rita has some redeeming qualities although this doesn't become evident until much later in the book.

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Janet wrote: "I'll be getting stuck into this after my current read. :)"
Thanks Janet, I'm looking forward to 'chatting' with you. :)

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Chris wrote: "I'm 25% in and really enjoying it. Was a little surprised Julie's mom would encourage her to go out again after what just happened though. I sympathize with her father, but then I'm a father of 3 g..."
Thanks for your feedback Chris. I'm glad you're enjoying the book. I understand what you are saying about Betty but she's going through a range of conflicting emotions and doesn't know what to do for the best. Her daughter is in a state, and Betty is finding it difficult seeing her like that when there isn't much she can do to help. Also, she isn't used to seeing her husband react in such a way. The atmosphere between Julie and Bill is very unpleasant and Betty is stuck in the middle of it all. :)

message 38: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments I'm fascinated by how behaviour which is not onluy inconsiderate but downright cruel & very dangerous such as deliberately getting a friend so drunk she'll make a fool of herself is characterised as 'having a laugh' & wonder if the characters actually believe it. Seems to me a good picture of 'ladette' culture but somewhat depressing. Personally I detest 'humour' derived from humiliating others & suspect it shows that the perpetrators really hate themselves.

message 39: by Ishita (new)

Ishita | 188 comments It says "not available for download on your device". What's wrong?

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Bill wrote: "I'm fascinated by how behaviour which is not onluy inconsiderate but downright cruel & very dangerous such as deliberately getting a friend so drunk she'll make a fool of herself is characterised a..."
Yes, I agree Bill. I wasn't excusing the girls' behaviour but explaining why Rita is the person she is. I know this sort of thing happens although I've never witnessed it myself. However, I got the idea from a couple of incidents that I saw in pubs and clubs during my younger days. One of them happened when I was with a group of friends and we found a young girl in a pub toilets. She was so drunk that she could hardly stand up, and her friends had left her and gone on to a nightclub. We looked after her and made sure she got home safely.

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Ishita wrote: "It says "not available for download on your device". What's wrong?"

I'm not sure what the problem is Ishita although it is only available on the Kindle from Amazon. Is your device a Kindle or an alternative device?

message 42: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments DI Bowden tells his sergeant that the evidence is there, they just have to find it, because he is sure he already knows who is guilty. As a former academic, I realised the police are not the only ones to make that mistake.

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris | 262 comments I am only 22% into the book and I feel sorry for these girls. The lead detective is an ass. He wants to prove something to someone. I wouldn't put it pass him to plant things to arrest these girls. He is what you would call a bad cop.

message 44: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Carleton | 6 comments Not as far in as I'd like to be right now but I'm enjoying the reconstruction of the girls night out which feels totally believable. I'm enjoying all of the regional dialogue; as I have family in the Midlands a lot of it is very similar to their way of speaking, which I like! How did you manage to create such realistic dialogue?

message 45: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I'm going to have to stop reading on here until I catch. Hopefully starting this one tonight. :)

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris | 10 comments Heather wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'm fascinated by how behaviour which is not onluy inconsiderate but downright cruel & very dangerous such as deliberately getting a friend so drunk she'll make a fool of herself is ch..."

That's terrible. I can't imagine doing that to someone even as a prank. It's one thing to spike a friends drink unawares. I remember doing it at least once in my early 20s. But never could I imagine myself (back then, now never) or any of our friends doing that sort of thing to the point where they were unable to take care of themselves and then even think about leaving them to fend for themselves. Incredible. Time to get some new friends.

I'm at 38%. It's moving right along.

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments Good morning everyone. It's great to see that some of you are getting into the book. Yes, the inspector isn't a very nice man and is definitely a bad cop.
Regarding your question about dialogue Sophia, I guess I am a bit of a people watcher. I have a fascination for how people interact with each other and I tend to play conversations over in my head before writing them down. :)

message 48: by David (last edited Nov 04, 2015 02:20AM) (new)

David Staniforth (DavidStaniforth) | 1968 comments I'm a couple of chapters in, and enjoying it so far.

Some writers use coloqualism to the extreme, and render the dialogue unreadable; good to see you avoided that. The occasional word is all that is needed to give a flavour of the local dialect, and i think you pull it off well.

message 49: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomHeather_Burnside) | 410 comments David wrote: "I'm a couple of chapters in, and enjoying it so far.

Some writers use coloqualism to the extreme, and render the dialogue unreadable; good to see you avoided that. The occasional word is all that ..."

Thank you David. I really appreciate that. :)

message 50: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Just started last night, 10% in.

« previous 1 3