Debate discussion

One on one debates > Davis VS. Holly

Comments Showing 1-50 of 358 (358 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Same rules apply.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
*grabs popcorn*

What are the rules about outsiders commenting?

message 3: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Lauren wrote: "*grabs popcorn*

What are the rules about outsiders commenting? "

Same rules. No one else can comment.

message 4: by Niki (new)

Niki What shall we debate about first?

message 5: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Holly wrote: "What shall we debate about first?"

Economics or healthcare, you choose.

message 6: by Niki (new)

Niki Healthcare.

message 7: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments So you are against Socialized Medicine, I take it?

message 8: by Niki (new)

Niki No.

message 9: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Then we have nothing to debate about there XDDDD

message 10: by Niki (new)

Niki Why did you assume that I was?

message 11: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Because you spoke out against abortion, which normally only happens when people don't understand the concept of liberties, American freedoms, the principles our country was built on, etc.

message 12: by Niki (new)

Niki I said in the other topic, I don't want abortion to become illegal. I am not naive enough to think that making something against the law doesn't mean it happens. I mean, stealing cars is against the law and thousands of vehicles are stolen everyday. If the government were to outlaw abortion, women would begin to go to unsafe sources for abortions.

I am aware that abortion isn't going away any time soon, legal or otherwise. I would much rather women get abortions from safe sources and live than the alternative.

I AM opposed to killing fetuses.

message 13: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Well, it's not killing. That's just not true.

message 14: by Niki (new)

Niki By eight weeks old, perfectly within the time frame of abortions, a fetus has brain function, a heartbeat, lungs, ears, and eyes.

It's killing.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

And abortions are performed before that time.
>.>
<.<
*runs away*

message 16: by Niki (new)

Niki Sure, some are performed before eight weeks, but a good number are performed during or after that time period.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Actually, no, unless the health of the mother is at stake. Go reread your facts.

message 18: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments It cannot live on it's own, it isn't sentient being. I know it makes me sound incredibly callous but it's true. The fetus just doesn't have life on it's own. I mean, I'm the type of guy who eat lobster because it's boiled alive, I don't like anything to suffer. And I still don't believe Abortion is murder.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

*doesn't

message 20: by Niki (new)

Niki Abortions are performed until the fetus is 13 weeks old by a suction and cutterage procedure. Abortions aren't usually performed after 12 weeks, but any time before that is fair game. Go reread YOUR facts.

message 21: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments The first trimester is when abortion is allowed.

message 22: by Niki (new)

Niki Like I said.

message 23: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments And within that section, it's clearly not murder.

message 24: by Niki (new)

Niki Except, by the time a fetus is 8 weeks old - still within the first trimester - it's pretty damn developed. While it may not be viable, it can't be said that it isn't human.

And I never said that abortion was murder. I said it was killing. There's a difference.

message 25: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Alright, fair enough. I think we agree enough on this to quit arguing. How do you feel about the environment?

message 26: by Niki (new)

Niki Sucks. We need to get our act together.

message 27: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Hahah right on, I agree. What about the death penalty?

message 28: by Niki (new)

Niki Bad thing. Bad bad bad thing. What happened to just locking someone up for the rest of their life?

message 29: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Hahah, yes! Hmmm. Torture on terrorist detainees?

message 30: by Niki (new)

Niki I don't like it, but I understand the necessity.

message 31: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Ahhh, I disagree. It's proven that torture is actually harmful to getting information.

message 32: by Niki (new)

Niki So if we just hand the terrorists a beer and turn on ESPN, they'll be talking in no time, right?

message 33: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Holly wrote: "So if we just hand the terrorists a beer and turn on ESPN, they'll be talking in no time, right?"

That is a gross oversimplification, but you have the right idea.

message 34: by Niki (new)

Niki Sometimes gross oversimplication is just the way to go. Where is it said that being all buddy-buddy with terrorists will get you more information?

message 35: by Niki (new)

Niki Okay, I have to go. Found a list of chores that MUST be done AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'll get back to you later.

message 36: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Holly wrote: "Sometimes gross oversimplication is just the way to go. Where is it said that being all buddy-buddy with terrorists will get you more information?"

Pretty much every guy who has ever worked for the CIA says that being kind to a suspect is about a trillion times more likely to get information out of them.

message 37: by Niki (new)

Niki Okay. I wasn't aware of that. I really don't know much about that topic.

I'd still rather cut off a few important appendages. :P

message 38: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I think it reflects poorly on a country who raises hell when any of it's citizens are tortured/detained/kidnapped by other countries, and then we completely hold ourselves apart from the standards we hold others too.

message 39: by Niki (new)

Niki You're right. I actually started looking up some information about this topic after we started. Now that I know more about it, I agree with you.

message 40: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Right on. Let's see, gotta be something we disagree on. What are your views on welfare?

message 41: by Niki (new)

Niki Good thing. In most cases. If people are using it so they don't have to get a job, bad. For people who are genuinely struggling, good.

message 42: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Right on. What about the legalization of marijuana?

message 43: by Niki (new)

Niki No. No no no no no no no no no.

message 44: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Okay, here we got something. And why is that?

message 45: by Niki (new)

Niki We have enough addictive and legal substances already. We don't need another one.

message 46: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments So you want to keep something illegal that millions of Americans partake in, is about a trillion times less damaging then alcohol, and would contribute BILLIONS of dollars in taxes?

message 47: by Niki (new)

Niki You bet your ass.

message 48: by Davis (last edited Jul 15, 2009 01:03PM) (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Hmmm, very backwards. Alcohol has literally caused millions of deaths just through overdose. Marijuana? None. Not even one.

message 49: by Niki (new)

Niki What? That didn't make sense...

message 50: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Typo, my bad. Better?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8