Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Heretic Queen
This topic is about The Heretic Queen
Group Read Discussions > October 2015: The Heretic Queen- Spoilers Allowed

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2464 comments Mod
Spoilers permitted here - but please remember to uncheck the "Add to My Update Feed" box so that spoilers aren't posted out to your update feed.

Silver In some ways I can relate to the young Nefertiti. Particularly the fact that she seems to get along better with the boys, and doesn't seem to have much in common with the other girls, or any girlfriends really. I like her tomboyish nature, and her preference for going out hunting.

But while I can sympathize to the difficult position she is placed within being outcast, and shunned for something her family did long ago, and I know she doesn't have any real power to change things I would have thought she would have a stronger will and more defiant attitude. Her self-pitying and constantly breaking down into tears does get annoying after a time.

Also when Worset (I think that is it) first came to her to offer to support her against Iset I would have thought she would have a bit more fight within her. While it is a daunting task I was disappointed in her defeatist and helpless attitude.

For one so intelligent I am surprised by her naivety. She does act a bit too young for her age, particularly considering the time in which she is living in when girls did grow up much faster and did not have the same notions of childhood that we have. Surely she must know that she will not be able to spend the rest of her life just frolicking around the place doing as she pleases.

message 3: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine | 1125 comments Mod
I think Nefertari's defiance comes out a little later in the book, as she realizes more of what she is really up against. I do agree that her self-pitying was annoying and I'm glad it lessens as the book gets further and further.

I think Worset's guidance and tell it like it is attitude really helps Nefertari to realize who she is up against and that she can't be so weak if she wants to gain any position.

Silver Jasmine wrote: "I think Nefertari's defiance comes out a little later in the book, as she realizes more of what she is really up against. I do agree that her self-pitying was annoying and I'm glad it lessens as th..."

I am really enjoying her lessons with Woreset in part because she dies start to grow out of her timidity. And I think it is interseing seeing her become transformed into a queen.

Silver While history tells us Nerfertari will ultimately end up as the wife of Ramesses during the period in which Nefer was uncertain of her future, and if indeed Ramesses would take her as a wife (and states that if he would not have her, there would be no point to marriage because no one else would share her interests) I wondered why she never considered a possible marriage with Asha.

Is there something about their social standings that would prevent them from being able to marry?

Even if they did not have romantic feelings for each other, particularly for a woman I would think marriage to someone who did care for you and respect you would be better than a lot of other possible fates.

message 6: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine | 1125 comments Mod
That's a good question that I'm not sure about. I don't know the social standards for Egypt at that time. The way the characters presented I think she just didn't want to marry anybody else.

It was mentioned that the Egyptian princess is never left Egypt so unlike many European cultures they were not used as bargaining chips to solidify treaties. Or if they were it seems the prince had to move where they were.

Ceri (klassycatlady) | 12 comments Silver wrote: "While history tells us Nerfertari will ultimately end up as the wife of Ramesses during the period in which Nefer was uncertain of her future, and if indeed Ramesses would take her as a wife (and s..."

Hello, I'm new to this group so this is my first group read here.

I thought the same, Silver. Especially since, for me, Ramesses never came to life as a character. Apart from the few times Asha was referred to as being "Asha the Cautious" (is that what it was? I may be paraphrasing) the personalities of her two friends never distinguished themselves from each other for me. I did feel a little that she was only falling in love with Ramesses because the history books say so.

message 8: by Silver (last edited Oct 10, 2015 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silver Ceri wrote: " I did feel a little that she was only falling in love with Ramesses because the history books say so.
."

I feel the someway, Nefer's love for Ramesses does not come across a buyable in this story. It just kind of feels like they were friends and poof now she loves him because they are older. The love does feel too contrived and forced. We don't really see her develop feelings for him we are just told that she loves him.

And I think part of the reason why I think well if you cannot marry Ramesses just marry Asha is because their characters do feel a bit interchangeable. There is nothing to really distinguish one from the other to really make me feel Nefer's love for one would be so much greater, or more passionate than the other.

Robin (ukamerican) | 548 comments I agree, I wasn't feeling the love between them. It's like we were just supposed to believe she was in love with him because she said so. Ramesses didn't really come across anything other than average so I didn't really understand why she was in love with him. But I let that all slide because I felt like the novel wasn't really supposed to be a romance, it was supposed to be about a girl finding her place in the world and proving that she was worthy of being queen.