The Filipino Group discussion

Monstress
This topic is about Monstress
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F46: Monstress by Lysley Tenorio | Moderator: Bennard (+Rhena/Aaron)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bennard (last edited Oct 01, 2015 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bennard | 727 comments Hello, dear readers! My name is Bennard and I will be your moderator for the discussion of Lysley Tenorio’s Monstress.

Monstress is a collection of eight stories that mostly deals with the clash of two vastly different cultures in the context of the Filipino immigrant experience. Most of the stories from the collection have been featured in several journals and magazines of note like The Atlantic, Ploughshares and Zoetrope: All Story. The title piece has also been nominated for a National Magazine Award and Tenorio himself has been a Paris Review Writer-in-Residence.

NPR’s Alexander Chee describes the collection thusly:

“The first story in Lysley Tenorio's debut collection begins in the seats at the Primero theater in Manila, where "they use a bedsheet for a screen." The last opens in Lemoore, Calif., a suburban town named phonetically for love. Taken together, this is the unique territory in which Tenorio sets his stories, where Filipino traditions meet Californian modernity again and again, each encounter revealing something unexpected about both cultures.”

Reading Plan

October 1 - 3: Preliminaries
October 4 - 10: “Monstress” and “The Brothers”
October 11 - 17: “Felix Starro” and “The View from Cullion”
October 18 - 24: “Superassassin” and “Help”
October 24 - 31: “Save The I-Hotel” and “L’amour, CA”

Discussion

I’ll be posting one set of discussion questions per week. I will also be posting some activities for people to all throughout the month.

Book Copies

Just send me a message on Goodreads or Facebook (if we are friends over there) if you want a digital copy of the book.

Bonus Question/Activity

One of the main character of “Monstress” is a film director known for making what is called a B-Movie: movies with low budgets, poor production value, and nonexistent technique. Name the director who is hailed as one of the “best” B-movie directors of all-time and the movie credites as the best worst film ever made.
Hint: The film was made in 1959 and is credited to be the final film appearance of renowned horror icon, Bela Lugosi, and is about an alien invasion

Three points for the earliest correct answer, two points for the second, and one point for the rest. Another bonus three points for anyone who is going to watch the movie and post a mini-review here in the threads and/or Letterboxd. The film is available on Youtube and is only 80 minutes long.

That’s it for now. My next post will be on October 4, Sunday EST.

message 2: by Aldrin (new)

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Ed Wood, "Plan 9 from Outer Space" :p

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments Ed Wood, Plan 9 from Outer Space

message 4: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid (gridni) | 599 comments Can I just go ahead and say ditto, haha

Bennard | 727 comments Ingrid: Haha. I guess? I'm pretty loosey-goosey with the rules.

message 6: by Kristel (last edited Oct 01, 2015 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Plan 9 From Outer Space (Ed Wood)

Review:

A voiceoverrific mess that features white actors attempting to express human facial expressions and largely failing. The premise--that aliens are animating corpses in a bid to take over the earth--is boneheaded from the start, but it's the details that elevate it. My favorite set design was the mausoleum where the grieving folks had to bend over to fit in the door, and the dreidel alien space harbor. A movie made with lots of love and little quality control.

message 7: by Mabelle (new) - added it

Mabelle Ortega | 139 comments Mr. Moderator, may I have a digital copy of the book...? My gmail is dyiokbee@gmail.com.

Thank you! :)

message 8: by Tin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Ed Wood. Plan 9 From Outer Space.

message 9: by Bennard (last edited Oct 04, 2015 05:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bennard | 727 comments Week 1 Questions

Point System: First to answer will get three points, the second one will get two points, and all the rest will get one point.

For the bonus question, three points for the best answer. 1 point for all the rest.

"Monstress"
(view spoiler)

"The Brothers"
(view spoiler)

Bonus:
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Tin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments WEEK 1 Questions:
Monstress
(view spoiler)

The Brothers
(view spoiler)

Bonus:(view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 716 comments Week 1 Questions

Monstress
(view spoiler)

The Brothers
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Angus (last edited Oct 10, 2015 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4336 comments "Monstress"
(view spoiler)

"The Brothers"
(view spoiler)

Bonus:
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Bennard (last edited Oct 13, 2015 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bennard | 727 comments Week 2 Questions

"Felix Starro"
(view spoiler)

"The View from Culion"
(view spoiler)

Bonus:
(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Week 1 Questions

"Monstress"
(view spoiler)

"The Brothers"
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Louize (last edited Oct 14, 2015 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Week 2 Questions

"Felix Starro"
(view spoiler)

"The View from Culion"
(view spoiler)

Bonus:
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Angus (last edited Oct 18, 2015 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4336 comments "Felix Starro"
(view spoiler)

"The View from Culion"
(view spoiler)

Bonus:
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Tin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments "Felix Starro"
(view spoiler)

"The View from Culion"
(view spoiler)

Ranee | 1902 comments Monstress

1.(view spoiler)

2. (view spoiler)

3. (view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.