Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Comment Republishing

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello again,

On my project I've mentioned, I'm going to be toying with the idea of comment republishing in the very near future (taking a comment posted on an item, and instead of keeping it locked in-system, also republishing it back to the source), and thought Goodreads might be a good place for this also.

For example, say I write a review of "House Atreides" by Brian Herbert (like I just did). I press "save". It shows up within Goodreads, but then uses an API (nonexistent?) to send the information back to Amazon... but the author is "Kyle Brady (through goodreads)", and my author link is to my goodreads profile.

I think, in this case, it would require direct contact with Amazon, but with the high levels of activity on here, I see no reason why Amazon wouldn't benefit from goodreads' benevolence.

--Kyle

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
Some of us might prefer not to have our GoodReads content republished elsewhere . . .

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This would obviously be an "opt-in" measure.

I assumed that was obvious.

--Kyle

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 1262 comments I agree with Abigail, I would not want my reviews cross-posted. But if it's available for those to choose if they'd like to that'd be great.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

opt in yes
no control over my bon mots no

message 6: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
I'm not sure if many people would want the Amazon option, but if they do we can work something out.

I do think however that adding another checkbox to a review to 'automatically publish it on my blog' would be pretty sweet.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm...

Blog, definitely, I'd take that option. But that will be very difficult to coordinate with all blogging systems... especially if a Wordpress user has to find their "xmlrpc file' to be able to publish.

Regardless, I think there should be an ability to duplicate your reviews outside of Goodreads, with the obvious requisite link back to it.

--Kyle

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken I vote for the Blog option. If we're using the Chicago methods, I vote twice.

Re: comments. I also think there should be a menu along the top bar of GR's page called "My Comments." Random comments you leave on people's book reviews seem to be the one thing GR will not help you track. Unless I'm missing something (and no wisecracks about my brain...) you have to jump through hoops to find your way back by searching the book or the person (and you can't really search a person unless s/he's your friend).