School Librarians & Teachers discussion

Teaching Science

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony (tony934) | 1 comments I will teach Physics in high school. I am considering adding fictional young adult literature to my curriculum. Does anyone have book suggestions for a progressive Physics classroom? I am especially interested in books with multicultural characters. I'm hoping this strategy will help students become more interested in Physics.

message 2: by John (new)

John | 10 comments What types of topics would be covered under the umbrella of physics?

I am thinking of a novel called THE GREEN GLASS SEA which is about a girl whose father works at Los Alamos during WWII when the nuclear bomb is being developed. At the end of the story, there is a trial of the bomb.

Homer Hickam wrote a book about creating a rocket right after the Russians put Sputnik in orbit. It is called ROCKET BOYS / OCTOBER SKY. It is not fiction. It became a movie called OCTOBER SKY.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Oosterwyk In the novel SMILES TO GO by Spinelli, the main character (in high school) realizes his mortality when the first photon dies at Yellow Knife.
He dreams of becoming an astronomer and that theme recurrs throughout the story. His best friends are a skateboarder and an actress (I believe she is of Asian heritage).