The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) The Da Vinci Code discussion

Totally amazing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Krystin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krystin set me on fire. Made me to start to analyze religion in its many diverse forms. It really could be the power behind today's politics.

Audrey I read this after Angels and Demons. I thought Angels and Demons was slightly better, but nevertheless, this character's escapades are very thought provoking. Learn many things and wonder about many things from this book. Hope the character comes to life a third time in another mystery/thriller by Brown.

message 3: by ~♥ruth♥~ (last edited Jan 15, 2008 01:05PM) (new)

~♥ruth♥~ * ~♥marsh♥~ This book was a brilliant piece of fiction. Although many english scholars may not agree, it was very well written- anything that can get so many people reading has got to be described that way.

However, the fact that the people who have read it then assume themselves to be well read and researched theological minds need to think again. At Dan Browns own admission, the Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction, albeit an incredibly intelligent one. Anyone who wants to learn more about religion, Da Vinci, or any other subject in the book, needs to conduct their research elsewhere. Where Dan Brown has not made any screaming errors, he has only included the information on all subjects which were relevant to his story. This is, of course, what makes it such a page-turner!

Phillip This book was crap and the movie was crap. Tom Hank's hair in the movie was crap.

"brilliant piece of fiction" Ruth

Jesus wept.

message 5: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth This Ruth agrees, Phillip. Pure, unadulterated crap.

R

Lulu So Phillip and Ruth 2 - you're going back into the DVC abyss....see you both on the other side of insanity...Can you hear that? It's the sound of me pulling up a comfy chair, buttering the popcorn and getting the good reading specs on. I'm ready. Let the thread begin.
:)

Phillip Sorry, Lulu. That was just a random pass. I am not getting into the DVC abyss again. Not unless I decide to change sides and start singing it's praises. And, to be honest, I actually didn't see the movie.
It's rabblerousers like you who cause all the fun on this site!

message 8: by peg (new)

peg I love the comment Woody Allen makes in the film, Hannah and Her Sisters.He says,"If Jesus were to return to earth and see everything that has been done in His name He wouldn't be able to stop throwing up:)"

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels Honestly, I haven't read the book yet. Like The Kite Runner, I have it, but Haven't been able to force myself to pick it up. I have such a hard time overcoming its comercial popularity. Maybe in 10 years when the hype has petered out a bit. I also own the movie, which I have never watched.

I had to say though that I find it funny that so many people psychotically love it, and so many utterly loath it. I reminds me of Gatsby in that way. I haven't seen a single "middle of the road" review of this book.

Peg, in this rare instance I have to agree with Woody Allen. That is a great quote. Normally I can't abide the man, but the quote is brilliant!

message 10: by Lulu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lulu Phillip, thanks for the compliment but I'm just following your lead.

You're the big king daddy dog rabblerouser.

George Bowden It won't improve in 10 years. The story is exciting enough but it's not very well written. Give me Umberto Eco any day.

This is not like Gatsby. Gatsby is well written, but you may or may not like the book.

message 12: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Bolesta I absolutely loved DVC. I loved all the shots at the Catholic church and religion in general. The adventure, the puzzles, the hunt. This is actually my second favorite book of all time. Dan Brown's Angels and Demons even better and is my very favorite for the same reasons. I read to be entertained, not for insight to my inner being, not self-help books, not biographies, and certainly no weepy, tender, heartfelt melodramas. I just want pure adventurous entertainment. Made it about 60 pages into The Time Traveler's Wife and put it away. If nobody is murdered or finds clues to a treasure, I have a hard time staying interested.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, hahaha. Oh, yeah.

Barb, you crack me up. Totally.

What?

You're serious?

Ohhhhh. Sorry then. Forget I said anything.

message 14: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Bolesta Brendan, you are certainly welcomed to have any opinion you wish. So am I. Here's another one. Saw your bio. Let me guess, you still live with your mother.

Gabe495 Not to great of a book. It did not deserve the publicity it got. The only reason it got the publicity it did was because it was controversial.

message 16: by Clive (new)

Clive Warner The whole concept was plagiarised. What total and utter drivel. This kind of book makes me despair of the publishing industry.

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Everything successful is crap... all pop groups and musicians that have any chart or financial success are "sell-outs".... therefore anything enjoyed by the populace must be crap mustn't it?

It makes you wonder why we don't all love politicians that do things we hate doesn't it?

Norman Quote from Barb: "I read to be entertained, not for insight to my inner being, not self-help books, not biographies, and certainly no weepy, tender, heartfelt melodramas. I just want pure adventurous entertainment."

Fair enough. Though DVC is not one of my favorites (I found the second half quite boring...and the ending too contrived), I would choose this novel over almost any biography, melodrama (though in its own way DVC's ending approached melodrama), self-help, or 'Chicken Soup' book. I was entertained AND stimulated to consider some of the theories and realities of Christian beliefs and practices.

Having said that, I have to admit that my appreciation for his style was on the wane by the end of DVC and after about 20 pages of Angels and Demons, I decided that there were many other authors I'd rather spend my time on.

message 19: by Barb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barb Bolesta Norman, it's too bad you quit on A&D. It was wonderful. Maybe someday you'll try it again.

message 20: by Tom (new) - rated it 1 star

Tom Pure drivel. Badly written, elaborately plotted. The novelistic equivalent of a cheap videogame. I am no Harvard Professor of Symbologismology, but I sure as hell figured out a couple of those puzzles way ahead of the characters in this silly tripe. When I started to sympathize with the Psychotic Albino Monk I knew I was in for trouble.

message 21: by Sissy (new)

Sissy Jacobson I take it Phillip didn't care for this book.
Come on Phillip, tell us what you really think of it...:)

Maria I really don't get what all the fuss is about. DVC isn't particularily good nor bad, it's just... mediocre. the story isn't new, hell, it's such an old concept that you can't even talk about plagiarism... i think i even read a real trashy pulp novel like ten years ago that had a similar plotline re: jesus was married, yadda yadda yadda. i think the problems stem out of people wanting to hype it up to more than it actually is: an easy, mostly enjoyable fast read, and here comes the important part: FICTION!

that said, the main character (langdon, right?) gives me the creeps big time. brrr.

Jaime I liked the concept of the book, the ideas, even the plot was ok. The writing style was total crap. I don't need my books spoon fed to me.

Keelin hey barb
being catholic i find wat u said offensive n let me guess ur an athiest...
wat too scared tey believe cuz u got no contrl in ur life ???

i got a gud book for u .... u mite knw it .it called the Bible
mite help ur stuck up prissy little supposedly knw-it-all ego cum dwn a few notches so u can c things frm sumwan elses point of view fer wance.

as fer da book da whole bit bout mary magdelene was a bit much but im not sayin dat ders not a chance its not tru but da whole fing dat the catholic church is tryin tey kill people; dats jus a load of bullshit. try the protestant fing (im not callin it a religion cuz itjus isnt) dats more der fing if da lst thirty yeers ova here r anyfing tey go by.

the only good thing for this book is the bac story of the police investigation. evrything else is jus too boring so i tend tey skip ova it.

Audrey Just was sent an article written by a famous researcher who has discovered information that makes it pretty clear Mary Magdalin was not a whore but a very respected apostle of Jesus. Also another name in the bible had it's ending changed making it male as time went on. The female contributions to christianity were far greater than had been thought because of repressed items and what the church chose to leave in what we know as the bible. Seems the Davinci Code was not a strange as we thought - still fiction, but closer to truth than realized.

Glenn As per George, "The story is exciting enough but it's not very well written". It weaves in just enough references to great works of art & architecture to hook us history hounds, seasons it with some intrigue to keep us hooked, and it is an EXTREME page turner. In that regard, it's well done, and I commend the author for that...
But as literature goes, this is EXTREMELY recreational pulp fluff. No actual characters. Most of the "dialog" is actually expository lecturing from one condescending intellectual to another. I think you're right (without even reading the book!): Both extremes- No middle of the road!

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George Let me jump on Audrey's article painting Mary Magdalene as an innocent woman complying with the ideal of Roman Catholic womanhood. I'm afraid that this is no more than attempt to write history to suit dogma.

It is true that there is not an explicit connection in the Bible between mary Magdalene and the woman who washed Jesus's feet with her hair, so they may have been different people. However, Mary associated freely with a group of men outside her family. If you imagine the Palestine of that time as being somewhat similar in social attitudes to Saudi Arabia today, there is going to be a BIG question mark about any woman who behaves like that, so she was definitely a social rebel, if not a social outcast.

Why should we try and shoe-horn Mary into a concept that the twisted old men at the top of the church find comfortable? Mary was who she was, and Jesus loved her. Whether that love turned physical or not is completely unimportant for me, as I suspect it would have been for Jesus. We should respect Mary for whoever she was, not try to re-create her into a milk-and-water puppet.

www.jacquelinegeorgewriter.com

message 28: by Natka (new) - rated it 1 star

Natka I forced myself to finish this book, only because I spent $6.50 on it! If Brown wants to put forth propaganda, at least put more effort into making it better disguised and more pallatable. Poorly written, is my verdict.

clarisse g. it's cool it made me appreciate history even better

message 30: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Oh, Yba. I'm so sorry.

Keelin ruth im confused ??????????

what you sorry for again ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

message 32: by Natka (new) - rated it 1 star

Natka My guess would be that she is sorry that you found it cool. :)

Prerna this book was a roller coaster ride!
From starting to the end, it kept me dazed ! Only authors like Dan Brown can do such a trick.

message 34: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Vincent In my opinion, good writing is prose which does not get in the way of the story. It should flow at a speed appropriate to the story. If the story is a fast-paced thriller, then I don't expect, or even want, a literary masterpiece. It's much more appropriate for the author to use simpler constructs, brief, succinct descriptions and keep things moving along at a pace. The art is to pick those perfect words that produce the imagery without bogging things down in lengthy detail and complex descriptions.

Surely the best way to measure the effectiveness of an author is by results. In Dan Brown's case his books are best sellers and enjoyed by millions. No one's work is like by all, but there's certainly a lot of people around the world who like his work. I'd say that makes him a good author. Personally I write to be read, by as many people as possible. If I could be 1% as successful as him in my writing, I would be pleased.

I suspect he would be the first to admit that he never set out to write a literary masterpiece, but rather a piece of successful fiction. He succeeded.

message 35: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Friant ~♥ruth♥~ wrote: "This book was a brilliant piece of fiction. Although many english scholars may not agree, it was very well written- anything that can get so many people reading has got to be described that way.

H..."

I completely agree with you! at the time, i was attending a very strict religious institution and everyone freaked out because they couldn't see what the book really was, a piece of fiction! As a historian, most of the facts and logic are incorrect, but i really loved reading this book! I don't think i'd even put it in the brain candy category because it certainly kept me thinking! as long as we keep it where it is supposed to be, fiction, i think its a great addition to anyone's library!!

message 36: by Nick (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nick Not a particularly good book. I found it better than Angel & Demons, but that's like saying a slap to the face is better than a kick to the groin.

I would love to read the books Dan Brown used as sources though. Without the boring plot, the subject might actually be interesting.

Umberto Eco for the win!

message 37: by Paul (last edited Jun 16, 2012 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Vincent Nick wrote: "Not a particularly good book. I found it better than Angel & Demons, but that's like saying a slap to the face is better than a kick to the groin.

I would love to read the books Dan Brown used as ..."

If you found one of his books so bad, why on Earth did you read another one?! I am envious of your free time.

message 38: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Paul wrote: "In my opinion, good writing is prose which does not get in the way of the story. It should flow at a speed appropriate to the story. If the story is a fast-paced thriller, then I don't expect, or e..."

Gack. This book was so full of awkward phrasing and out and out grammatical errors that it distracted from the story.

message 39: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Vincent Ruth wrote: "Paul wrote: "In my opinion, good writing is prose which does not get in the way of the story. It should flow at a speed appropriate to the story. If the story is a fast-paced thriller, then I don't..."
Did we even read the same book?

Denise Since it is a fiction puzzle hunt, I can forgive the author for not being factual. Overall, Brown is a poor writer and don't plan on reading anything else he publishes.

message 41: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Mehrez the best at all :))

Heather so many people state that this is the best book they have ever read. if that is true the last thing they read was "see spot run" i was disappointed with all the hype

message 43: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Heather wrote: "so many people state that this is the best book they have ever read. if that is true the last thing they read was "see spot run"

Bingo.

Laurie Hollow.

Empty, flat characters I cared nothing for.

Hated it.

Dumb bathroom read.

message 45: by Kyle (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kyle Reid Amelia wrote: "Honestly, I haven't read the book yet. Like The Kite Runner, I have it, but Haven't been able to force myself to pick it up. I have such a hard time overcoming its comercial popularity. Maybe in..."

I can give you a middle of the road opinion on both Amelia!

Da Vinci Code was tosh, but fun tosh. I read it over a couple of days when I was really ill and it was a pleasantly unchallenging way to rest my fevered brain.

It isn't a piece of literature, it's not intelligent, it's popcorn reading but in that sense it's good at what it's meant to do.

Also, I was fairly ambivalent to The Great Gatsby. I enjoyed it enough I suppose, but it was a bit underwhelming. And that said, I certainly didn't hate it or find it unbelievably dull like some people.

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott Paul wrote: "In my opinion, good writing is prose which does not get in the way of the story. It should flow at a speed appropriate to the story. If the story is a fast-paced thriller, then I don't expect, or e..."

Let me get this straight, you think Dan Brown STROVE for mediocrity? It's one thing to be yourself, and be alone, but to actually change your message to be popular is a level of pandering I don't think even Dan Brown would admit to.

message 47: by Paul (last edited Aug 23, 2012 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Vincent Scott wrote: "Let me get this straight, you think Dan Brown STROVE for mediocrity? It's one thing to be yourself, and be alone, but to actually change your message to be popular is a level of pandering I don't think even Dan Brown would admit to..."

No, I don't think that at all. If that's what my post implied then I must have worded it very badly, and I apologise. I don't think his writing is mediocre, nor that he strove to make it so. It's not brilliant by any means, but it clearly did the job and satisfied a very, very large number of people. His writing was very appropriate to the scenario. I'm not going to try to second-guess what his aims were, all I can really comment on are his results.

To put it another way, had his writing been a literary masterpiece I sincerely doubt he would have been as successful.

message 48: by Paul (last edited Aug 23, 2012 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Vincent Denise wrote: "Since it is a fiction puzzle hunt, I can forgive the author for not being factual. Overall, Brown is a poor writer and don't plan on reading anything else he publishes."

"forgive"!!! It's a work of fiction. Since when does ANY of it have to be factually correct? As we don't even know for sure if Jesus actually existed or is actually a conglomeration of different people who existed, then I don't see how it could all be technically correct. Even ignoring the fact that is a work of fiction, much of it has to be speculative or adapted to make a good story. Did anyone really expect it to be a textbook?

Sheila It fired up my imagination and made me think of possibilities I hadn't thought of before.

I forgive any of the weaknesses in writing that I may have noticed.

On the whole it was definitely worth the read.

message 50: by M.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.J. Mancini If you liked Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code", you will love "Revelation" by MJ Mancini, look for it here...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

If anyone is interested in posting an honest review, please reply. Promotional copies available to avid book reviewers on a limited basis!

« previous 1