Fans of Tristi Pinkston discussion

Top 100 Most Influential Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tristi (new)

Tristi | 40 comments Mod
Sabine suggested that we compile a list of the most influential books we've ever read, books that have made us stop and think and that we feel everyone should read. Please take a minute to leave your choices for this list in the comment trail. If any of your recommended books have content that might be offensive to some readers, just put an asterisk by the title. I'm excited to see which books you come up with, and how many of the same books are on my list as well (which I'll post a little later.)

message 2: by Jewel (new)

Jewel (jewela) | 10 comments My choices are:
The Book of Mormon
Tathea
The Kite Runner*
A Thousand Splendid Suns*
The Screwtape Letters
Kennison's Gifts

message 3: by Tristi (new)

Tristi | 40 comments Mod
I've never heard of Kennison's Gifts, Jewel. Will you tell us a little about it?

message 4: by Jewel (new)

Jewel (jewela) | 10 comments Actually it's by an author I met through Goodreads. We swapped books. His name is W. David Tibbs. It's a beautiful and poetic novel that is kind of like a novel within a novel. It's a fictional journal of a man's journey through life and how each experience leaves a profound impression on him. It has a great emotional twist and is such a beautiful and moving story that I cried through half of it. If you want to borrow it, I'll lend it to you.

message 5: by Sabine (new)

Sabine | 13 comments Here are the ones I came up with of the top of my head:
The Giver by Lois Lowery
Number the Stars by Lois Lowery
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
Reunion by Fred Uhlman
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
(Are you noticing a pattern?)
The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen Randall
The Lord of the Ring by JRR Tolkein
The Screwtape letters by CS Lewis
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

message 6: by Daron (new)

Daron (daronfraley) | 1 comments For my list of most influential readings... Can I include a short story? How about a thesis? A Movie?

The Book of Mormon, Bible, D&C, Pearl of Great Price
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith
Gospel Doctrine by Joseph F. Smith
The Star, short story by Arthur C. Clarke (my favorite short of all time. You can read it online)
Chronicles of Narnia, C. S. Lewis
The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Tolkien.
The Timely and the Timeless, Hugh Nibley
The Lachish Letters, Hugh Nibley
Enoch the Prophet, Hugh Nibley
Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis
Spiritual Progression in the Last Days, Blaine M. Yorgason
Windwalker - Movie, Blaine and Brenton Yorgason
Seeker of the Gentle Heart, Yorgason and Yorgason
The Auto Biography of Parley P. Pratt
The Millenial Messiah, Bruce R. McConkie
Jesus the Christ, James E. Talmage
Reflections of a Scientist, Henry Eyring
Ben Hur - Movie
The Signs of the Times, Joseph Fielding Smith

These are the "works" which have most influenced me in my life. Not a lot of fiction on there. For a historical fiction writer, I think you would REALLY like the book Seeker of the Gentle Heart, Tristi. That is one of the few fiction stories I have ever read multiple times.

As I look over this list, I realize there is a pattern. Very, very few (The Hobbit for instance), are not religious in some way, or centered on Christ, or have easily recognizable religious symbols in them. These books, movies, writings are the basis of who I am, I suppose.

I know some would argue with me about Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series, but if a returning king, and a white tree, and victory of good over evil are not religious symbolism, I don't know what is.

My most favorite RECENT fiction (stories I enjoyed the most, even though I wouldn't necessarily call them influential):

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Harry Potter 7 - Deathly Hallows, J. K. Rowling
Strength to Endure - Tristi Pinkston (No, I am not being a suck-up, this truly is one of my recent favorites)

Daron

message 7: by Sabine (new)

Sabine | 13 comments Daron, Great list. I think for sure Lord of the Rings is symbolic. So much fantasy is. There are a few on your list I am going to have to pick up. Thanks for sharing.