The Reading Rainbow Coalition discussion

Discussion > Shitty Book Month

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Denise | 120 comments Mod
So during our Shitty Movie Night, I came up with what might either be a brilliant or terrible idea: I thought it might be fun to have a Shitty Book Month as well. I also thought of this while reading Slaughterhouse Five and Billy Pilgrim's fixation on Kilgore Trout's awful sci-fi novels.

This would be trickier than a Shitty Movie Night because:
a) there is more time invested into a book, so reading one that is genuinely shitty may end up being not-so-fun.
b) opinions of what is a "shitty" book can vary so widely. i could suggest one vampire book in particular but there are rabid throngs of fans who would be enraged at the idea

What do you guys think?

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (notmandatory) | 10 comments I kinda love this idea. Of course, I have been known to enjoy, what I consider to be, shitty books from time to time.

message 3: by Self-propelled (new)

Self-propelled | 40 comments I don't think I can force myself to do this! However, if you end up discussing a shitty fantasy book, chances are I'll have read it and will weigh in.. Also, I hope you guys do go ahead as it sounds like it would result in some fun discussions.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 18 comments I ain't readin' me no Mormon vampire books. No sir. Maybe some shitty short stories. The best thing about shitty movie night is that the group is together, sharing the experience simultaneously. Like you said, with a book, that experience is gone.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 18 comments Plus, I have a "to read" pile that will last me pretty much until I croak. Why the hell do I want to take up that time reading shitty books.

message 6: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Aha, shitty short story or shitty excerpt might be a better idea. I'm sure internets can provide us with some resources. I'll look into it and report back.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean (Sean_Mc) | 9 comments I would agree with Mike in that I also have a "to read" pile that is threatening to topple over and kill small children. 90 minutes to 'throw away' for a shitty movie is one thing, but a few weeks worth of reading is too valuable. Yeah, shitty short story is a better way to go IMHO.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike | 18 comments Fan fiction, anyone?

message 9: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (poetrybetween) | 1 comments if you skip all the redundant adjectives the book in question should only take two hours to read. oh no, did I just totally out myself as having read my little sister's copy of it? oh well. it's till two hours you'd never get back of your life, and I can't endorse that.

message 10: by Denise, Coalition Overlord (new)

Fan fic, short fic, we're always open to suggestions! I haven't really had much luck in finding any but please feel free to post links here! :)

message 11: by Redteddy23 (new)

Redteddy23 | 3 comments Its a shame crappy books tend to be brick sized and have about a million flat as a cardboard cutout characters in them. You can tell I read too much Tom Clancy when I was young and didn't know any better.

message 12: by Jacobmartin (new)

Jacobmartin | 11 comments How about The Eye of Argon? I hear if you can read through it without laughing in certain circles you get a prize!

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike | 18 comments Oh, that is so awesomely bad. I am going to see if I can read it and record it as a podcast. SO FREAKIN' BAD. I love it. Go to the Wikipedia entry for a taste and history of this semenal work.

Yes, that was a tribute misspelling, there.

message 14: by Self-propelled (new)

Self-propelled | 40 comments Oh, this is gold. GOLD I tells ya. Thank you, Jacobmartin. Everyone in the group should read this.

..."Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr...