Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > The Cure For Pain is a Good Curse Word...

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Swearing Can Reduce the Feeling of Pain

If that's the case, I should be the person most impervious to pain on Earth, because I love me a good curse word.

message 2: by Kemper (new)

Kemper I always knew there had to be a valid reason for the instant string of profanity that comes flying out of my mouth the millisecond I hurt myself in the slightest way. Good to know that there's a scientific reason and not just me being a wuss...

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments "My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium...a master."
-Ralphie, A Christmas Story Sophie Sanchez

message 4: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Fuck yeah!

message 5: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments :)

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Mindy - are you in pain?

message 7: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments "the need to f and blind"????

And they got to choose their own words? I wonder if the power of some words (fuck) was greater than that of others (piss)?

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I love swearing. I love it so much. I'm trying to teach my kids that sometimes swearing is ok but sometimes, like, you know, in gym class, you should probably keep it to a minimum. Or at least under your breath.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Thanks, Tadpole, for the biggest laugh of my day so far. You may want to amend the whole line to say ""My parents worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was their true medium...masters."

message 10: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I have a sister who is 24 years younger than me, so we have an interesting relationship. I try not to be parental w/her. I never really censored myself in front of her, but I always explained to her the social ramifications of saying certain words in public.

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jul 14, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments True story:

When my stepmother had a stroke, she wasn't able to talk much or say much. The only words that would come out of her mouth were "F***! D***! and Sh**!!" and "This is very bad." While the rest of language failed her, curse words maintained their status as an important part of her vocabulary.

She's since fully recovered.

message 12: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yay, curse words!

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Heidi wrote: "True story:

When my stepmother had a stroke, she wasn't able to talk much or say much. The only words that would come out of her mouth were "F***! D***! and Sh**!!" and "This is very bad." ..."

This, as I understand it, is quite common. It seems there is a different part of the brain that vocalizes in this way -- separate from the normal language part.

message 14: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I've been feeling bad at the amount of cursing I've been doing lately.

message 15: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Bah, blow that shit off, Tanja!

;)

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I must have gotten laxed on my cursing as my kids got older, now I have a toddler who sounds like a sailor. I don't like to hear cursing, but I must do it alot...oops

message 17: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I totally fucking agree, Misha!

message 18: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I am in fucking love w/whoever made that video! (Except he or she mispelled incompetence.)

message 19: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I, quite literally, married a sailor and he certainly can cuss like an aforementioned ... um, sailor.

He's pretty good about censuring himself around our daughter (almost 8 yrs) but every once in a while he let's it fly - mostly while driving. Dumbass is one of his favorites, incidentally, to yell very loudly at people driving. He basically tells Jessi to ignore him and not repeat what he says.

The other day we were trying to explain why she couldn't go see a movie that was PG-13 without us seeing it first. Her reply, very calmly to us, was, "But, they can't be saying anything any worse than what Daddy says in the car to dumbass drivers."

Yup. Daughter of a sailor. ;)

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) "Fuck" is quite possibly the greatest word ever invented. So malleable and apt for just about every situation possible.

message 21: by Heidi (last edited Jul 15, 2009 08:00AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm partial to "bastard" when I feel like cussing for real (most of the time I say stuff like "son of a biscuiteater" and "mother firetrucker" and "SHUT the front door"). I also probably use "dammit" entirely too much.

message 22: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) "Son of a biscuit eater?"

Oh, Heidi, honey...that's how serial killers talk.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments How would YOU know, Gus?

message 24: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Actually, I do know this, Heidi. In some research I've done regarding serial killers, a common trait that was accidentally discovered among some serial killers is their dislike for "foul" language. Surprisingly, for all his grotesque, deviant sexual perversions, Jeffrey Dahmer couldn't bring himself to use slang terms to describe sexual acts or anatomy. He sometimes resorted to using child-like words like "peepee" or "thingy" to describe genitals.

So, let it fly, Heidi. Saying "son of a biscuit eater" may be cute, but shouting "YOU MISERABLE NAZI PIG-FUCKING SON OF A THOUSAND WHORES!" just seems more apt sometimes. Plus, I think it would make my day if I heard you, in person, shout that. Especially for no apparent reason.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments For the record, I'm NOT a serial killer.

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, and I just found out from my supervisor that the summer intern complained about me last week for cussing. Traitor.

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Gus is writing a new book - serial killer cusses and you

My soccer coach hated to cuss so he made up his own - cheese n' crackers, peanut butter!

I use my mother's curse. I've no idea how to spell it but think it meant lightning.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have come to use the word "Okahumpka" when feeling especially frustrated. (add a slight pause after the a and before the h). i saw this word on a sign in FL on the way back last week and it made me laugh so i now have a new curse word

message 29: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments "YOU MISERABLE NAZI PIG-FUCKING SON OF A THOUSAND WHORES!"

You are my hero, Gus.

message 30: by Heidi (last edited Jul 15, 2009 09:28AM) (new)

message 31: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Monkey-fighting?! Monday-to-Friday?!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments They're always hilarious, but that one in particular was really, REALLY funny to me. I've never seen the movie, but I hear Samuel Jackson drops F-bombs left and right.

message 33: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I love the cursing in Pulp Fiction.

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Has it been edited for tv, yet?

message 35: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Skip Snakes on a Plane. You'll hate yourself for wasting 2 hours of your life that you'll never get back.

The worst TV edit is Die Hard. There are several TV-related variations to Bruce Willis' classic line, "Yippee-ka-yay, mothefucker!" but the worst is this one:

"Yippee-ka-yay, melon farmer"

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh, that's hilarious. :)

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I cannot watch editted Bruce Willis in Die Hard or even the two in Pulp Fiction. It's PAINFUL.

This website has cmts from others who complained about bad cursing edits: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/...