Travis McGee Fan Club discussion

McGee to hit Silver sceen?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

message 2: by Kemper (new)

Kemper Fingers crossed. I'd read before that they were trying to get Deep Blue Good-Bye filmed. I'd always thought a network like HBO or Showtime should turn them into an on-going series.

message 3: by K.T. (new)

K.T. | 3 comments Yippee... I think this could be an amazing success... but who will be good enough to play Travis? Ryan Gosling?

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carlton | 3 comments I'd like to host a travis event in atlanta

message 5: by K.T. (new)

K.T. | 3 comments anyone know anything about a possible movie? have not heard anything for a long time.

message 6: by James (new)

James (signal20) | 3 comments K.T. wrote: "anyone know anything about a possible movie? have not heard anything for a long time. "

Yes!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/29/l...

message 7: by K.T. (new)

K.T. | 3 comments Oh My GOD! WOW! Thanks James. Awesome! I think Leo will do Travis justice... don't you guys?!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Here's the latest on the McGee movie:

http://www.deadline.com/?s=travis+McGee

message 9: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 114 comments Mod
K.T. wrote: "Oh My GOD! WOW! Thanks James. Awesome! I think Leo will do Travis justice... don't you guys?!"

I do, yes, I do!

message 10: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin | 8 comments Think I've seen all the Travis McGee movies made. None worked for me. @hg47

message 11: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Harv wrote: "Think I've seen all the Travis McGee movies made. None worked for me. @hg47"

Harv: I didn't know any were made although I don't see how that could be. What are the names and who played in them? Please?

message 12: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

From Wiki: Adaptations---Travis McGee has twice been translated to cinema and television; Rod Taylor played McGee in Darker Than Amber (1970), and Sam Elliott played him in the television movie of The Empty Copper Sea, titled Travis McGee (1983). The latter relocates McGee in California, eliminating the Florida locales central to the novels. In addition, Elliott kept his trademark brushy mustache, thoroughly distancing himself from the clean-shaven, brush cut look McGee maintains in the books.

In 1967, author MacDonald refused permission for a television series about Travis McGee and his cases, feeling people would stop reading the novels were Travis McGee regularly on television. Comedian Dan Rowan, a friend of MacDonald's, had expressed interest in playing the role of Travis McGee, but nothing ever materialized.

Robert Petkoff provided the voice of Travis McGee in the majority of the CURRENT audio book versions of the novels. The prior abridged series from Random House audio featured Darren McGavin in all but two, Darker than Amber and Cinnamon Skin, which were read by Kevin Conway.

According to the Internet Movie Database, a film version of The Deep Blue Good-by, directed by Oliver Stone with Leonardo DiCaprio as Travis McGee, was in development with a tentative release date of 2011 or 2012. In April 2010, it was announced that the film's title was changed to Travis McGee.[5][6] In April 2011, it was announced that Paul Greengrass was interested in directing the film.[7] As of February 2014, this has not materialized and the film remains listed as In development.

message 13: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Cathy wrote: "From Wiki: Adaptations---Travis McGee has twice been translated to cinema and television; Rod Taylor played McGee in Darker Than Amber (1970), and Sam Elliott played him in the television movie of..."

I understand the latest is that it will no longer be DiCaprio. Christian Bale has signed on as the new Trav.

message 14: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 10, 2015 10:32AM) (new)

Lynda wrote: "Cathy wrote: "From Wiki: Adaptations---Travis McGee has twice been translated to cinema and television; Rod Taylor played McGee in Darker Than Amber (1970), and Sam Elliott played him in the telev..."

Lynda...thanks for the info. For some reason Christian Bale's face, his photo, doesn't just pop out in my memory. It's like Colin Firth who I didn't notice until I watched Pride and Prejudice. Duh...of course, Christian Bale. He's great.

What do you think? Do you think he would be a good Travis?

message 15: by Lynda (last edited Jan 10, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Lynda Cathy wrote: "Lynda wrote: "Cathy wrote: "From Wiki: Adaptations---Travis McGee has twice been translated to cinema and television; Rod Taylor played McGee in Darker Than Amber (1970), and Sam Elliott played hi..."

Here's an interview with the writer, Scott Frank, who's rewriting the script for Christian Bale. Quite interesting.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured...

Given that the movie is going to be set in the present day, I do think Christian Bale is a good fit (more so than DiCaprio). Bale, in my view, has more of that ruggedness about him; more wordly, more of a man's man; a guy that would definitely draw a woman's glance.

message 16: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Lynda wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Lynda wrote: "Cathy wrote: "From Wiki: Adaptations---Travis McGee has twice been translated to cinema and television; Rod Taylor played McGee in Darker Than Amber (1970), and Sam Ell..."

I'm sold! I agree that he's more rugged. Yes, without a doubt.

And I'll listen to the interview. Thanks so much for the posting.

message 17: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 10, 2015 12:13PM) (new)

Whoooaaaaa Nelly.

Great article but near the bottom I read this: We’ve amped up the sexual component to Travis as well as the stoner component. He gets high in this more than he’s sitting in bars drinking Dark & Stormy’s as he does in the books. Small things like that…"

Small things like that, the man says.

Ok, it's movies so I can see amping up the sex but no Boodles? Mary Jane (not the chick on the Busted Flush either) instead of Boodles? Why does this seem just wrong?

message 18: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 20 comments Not very excited about a Travis McGee movie where he is veteran of the Middle East wars, and getting high. Also, McGee as someone who is broke? Not in character at all.

Then again, Scott Frank did a great job with the Matthew Scudder character (and I really enjoyed those books) The film A Walk Among the Tombstones was well done.

Will have to wait and see

message 19: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 11, 2015 04:41PM) (new)

Jeffrey wrote: "Not very excited about a Travis McGee movie where he is veteran of the Middle East wars, and getting high. Also, McGee as someone who is broke? Not in character at all.

Then again, Scott Fran..."

Jeffrey...I agree with everything you said. I have no comment on the Scudder movie. I know I love reading and knowing Scudder but no info on the movie. Guess I need to see it.

But like you...Travis broke, a later war (Vietnam War and Middle Eastern wars are so different) and getting high? Give me a break. That's so not Travis.

But the thought of Bale playing him does intrigue me.

message 20: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Lynda wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Lynda wrote: "Cathy wrote: "From Wiki: Adaptations---Travis McGee has twice been translated to cinema and television; Rod Taylor played McGee in Darker Than Amber (1970), and Sam Ell..."

You are so amazing, posting this picture of Christian Bale! Thank you, Lynda.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments I can't picture either Bale or DiCaprio as McGee. Neither is banged up enough or big enough for the role. Maybe a bulked-up Daniel Craig?

message 22: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jim wrote: "I can't picture either Bale or DiCaprio as McGee. Neither is banged up enough or big enough for the role. Maybe a bulked-up Daniel Craig?"

Oh, Jim, I don't think Daniel Craig is banged up enough.

I don't offer any suggestions, I just make head nods up or down...or thumbs up or down. Never come up with suggestions. I read to much but it just came to me though, Christian Bale can do anything! (Oh,Lynda had him first.)

Javier Bardem? Josh Brolin? No other thoughts or suggestions.

No, I think I'm on the Bale Bandwagon!

message 23: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (drmar120) | 1 comments My dream would be that McGee would be done true to period & straight, with respect, by a major player like the BBC or HBO. I would rather the stories were done for cable--because they make better filmed drama now than the movies.

Fact is, I tremble whenever Hollywood studios get hold of a great literary property. I don't trust them to get it right. In fact, they actively f**k it up more often than not.

But, of course, we are mere interested observers. And it will be what it will be.

Re. casting McGee, Neeson would have been my choice; a bit too old now. So instead, I'm with Cathy...Josh Brolin. But at least Bale is better than DiCaprio.

message 24: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 19, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

D.R. wrote: "My dream would be that McGee would be done true to period & straight, with respect, by a major player like the BBC or HBO. I would rather the stories were done for cable--because they make better f..."

Hi D. R. It sure looks like HBO, Netflix and the others are outshining Hollywood these days. The face of great programming has changed over the past five years.

I just hope that if whoever makes it, does it well and gives justice to JDM's wonderful character, my guy Travis McGee.

message 25: by Lynda (last edited Jan 19, 2015 09:54PM) (new)

Lynda D.R. wrote: "My dream would be that McGee would be done true to period & straight, with respect, by a major player like the BBC or HBO. I would rather the stories were done for cable--because they make better f..."

I like your thinking, D.R. I've only read Blue so far, so I am a McGee novice, but Neeson would make a fine McGee. Given the movie is going to be set in the present, maybe he's not too old? He certainly doesn't look it in his latest movie, Taken 3. But hey, what would I know…he looks good to me no matter what age. :)

message 26: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Lynda wrote: "D.R. wrote: "My dream would be that McGee would be done true to period & straight, with respect, by a major player like the BBC or HBO. I would rather the stories were done for cable--because they ..."

Hah! Lynda, I have to agree with that one.

message 27: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 17 comments But what period ? the sixties ? 70's ? early 80's hmm so many great choices , I would chose early 70's myself .

message 28: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 17 comments Cathy wrote: "Jim wrote: "I can't picture either Bale or DiCaprio as McGee. Neither is banged up enough or big enough for the role. Maybe a bulked-up Daniel Craig?"

Oh, Jim, I don't think Daniel Craig is bange..."

Travis was always described as tall but on the thinner side athletic build not bulky muscles like Craig.

message 29: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Trevor wrote: "But what period ? the sixties ? 70's ? early 80's hmm so many great choices , I would chose early 70's myself ."

Trevor...you talking about the period of the movie? If so, it supposed to be in the present...the here and now if that's what you're asking. And yeah, if I had my druthers I would want in the early/mid '70's, too.

message 30: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 20, 2015 04:47PM) (new)

Trevor wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Jim wrote: "I can't picture either Bale or DiCaprio as McGee. Neither is banged up enough or big enough for the role. Maybe a bulked-up Daniel Craig?"

Oh, Jim, I don't think Daniel ..."

Yeah..I don't think Craig would be convincing as Travis either. But what do I know? I'm not good at putting actors into book character roles and admit to it.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Even though I'm not a big fan of his, I'd suggest Matthew McConaughey as the movie version of Travis McGee. He's got the deep tan necessary for the role.

message 32: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Mike wrote: "Even though I'm not a big fan of his, I'd suggest Matthew McConaughey as the movie version of Travis McGee. He's got the deep tan necessary for the role."

Hi Mike...I am a big fan of both Travis and JDM. So thanks for throwing your two cents in.

I love Matthew McConaughey especially as Michael Connelly's Mickey Haller.

However, I think it would take more than a tan to make Travis McGee...in Florida we have tans year around; they're a dime a dozen but doesn't make a Travis McGee. :D

message 33: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 20 comments True comment Cathy....but McConaughey did a good job in the movie Sahara playing Dirk Pitt, a more modern day Travis McGee. I think he could pull it off now that he is a bit older.

message 34: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Jeffrey...not saying he wouldn't but not because of a tan, that's all. I love Matthew McConaughey. Great actor, never seen him when he wasn't great with or without tan. Just saying the actor for the part shouldn't be chosen because of a tan.

message 35: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 17 comments I would rather they found a new actor instead of a star that way no one can say he isn't right for the part. The actor should have TM's 6 ft 4 height and about 210 build and rough around the edges .

message 36: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (new)

Trevor wrote: "I would rather they found a new actor instead of a star that way no one can say he isn't right for the part. The actor should have TM's 6 ft 4 height and about 210 build and rough around the edges ."

Trevor...I like the rough around the edges, yeah, I think that would be a plus.

message 37: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Oh hell, I don't care who plays him. All I know is that I'm auditioning for the girlfriend, no matter who it is.

message 38: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:37AM) (new)

Lynda wrote: "Oh hell, I don't care who plays him. All I know is that I'm auditioning for the girlfriend, no matter who it is."

Hah! I'm going to up my aerobic exercise a lot and add running so that I can beat you to the Busted Flush all decked out in my party clothes. A skimpy bikini, of course, so Travis and I can take a dip while you're making a nice dinner for us! Thanks, Lynda, you're the best! :D

message 39: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Well...I was definitely thinking of cooking up something, but THAT wasn't quite what I had in mind! Hmph!

message 40: by Cathy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2015 09:03AM) (new)

Lynda wrote: "Well...I was definitely thinking of cooking up something, but THAT wasn't quite what I had in mind! Hmph!"

LOL...It's a big kitchen as you know and you can swish that fanny around all you want. Invite Meyer over. Envisioning this is funny.