Supernatural Fiction Readers discussion

Non-SFR group Authors/Works > Patricia Briggs

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) This is a topic for discussing Patricia Briggs & her supernatural books. To the best of my knowledge, she has 4 books in the Mercy Thompson series:
Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, Book #1) by Patricia Briggs
Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs
[image error]
Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs
in her first supernatural series. There is also a spin-off series, starting with [image error]

She also writes a lot of other fantasy - more sword & sorcery or ... How do you describe it? It's not urban fantasy like the above books, but has elves & such in it. Very good.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 295 comments I just read Moon Called. It very good. Look forward to continuing the series and reading her other books, which I am collecting.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I thought the idea of having a skin walker mixed in with the normal werewolves & vampires was pretty interesting. She also has a lot of other mythological creatures & an interesting underground network. When you read the 2d book, I think you'll understand why I suggest reading them in order. She builds her world slowly & thoroughly.

After you read the third Mercy Thompson book, then you can read the first of the Alpha & Omega, the werewolf spinoff series. I've only read the first one, so far, of that.

Her fantasy books are also good.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 295 comments That's good to hear, Jim. I like how Briggs talks about Mercy's unique role in the werewolf packs. An outsider, but very important to the packs all the same.

message 5: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I just finished Moon Called after trying it once a few months back. I only got about three pages in then, and quit reading it to start other books I KNEW I would enjoy - Harry Dresden, Anita Blake, Queen Betsy, etc. I have to say, I'm glad I went back to it. I finished the book in two days and put the next three on my list of to-read and requests from the library. Now I can't wait to read them!
Mercy is quick-witted, smart on her toes, and not all about the sex and love. I enjoyed the violence of it for some reason - probably due to the fact that most of the books I read have quite a bit of sex in them.
:)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 295 comments It was an intense world. The violence was an important part of it, so I could see why you did enjoy that aspect of it, Elvia.

message 7: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I also LOVE that the wolves are the dominant of the species instead of the vampires. That's a first for me in the books I've read. It's almost ALWAYS the vamps who are "master" of their cities. Love the "alpha in charge"!! Wonderful change of pace.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 295 comments Yay wolves. That's a great point, Elvia. I love the wolves in these books too. Adam is dreamy!

message 9: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) I'm currently reading Iron Kissed, when I can steal away to read.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) "Iron Kissed" is pretty good. I was happy to find out more about Zeke. The world is getting spookier & more complex all the time.

message 11: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I am reading Iron Kissed right now (I brought it to work so I wouldn't get bored during down time). Very good...drama with the fae and the wolves. LOVE IT.
It started slow for me though but it could have been just the heat from the last couple of days getting to me! lol

message 12: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Michaels | 13 comments What is the series about?

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) It's set in today's world, Pacific Northwest. Mercy is a skin walker - she can turn into a coyote. She was raised by werewolves, though. Them & vampires are the biggest groups around. Some faeries are out in public, many aren't. There is a reservation for some.

Mercy is a mechanic, living on the edge from the work she does. Helps the cops with a problem, tries to fix others. In many ways, it's like Kim Harrison's work, if you've read that. Good writing, well done characters.

message 14: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Mercy is fantastic. Her world is more centered on the weres which I love. But she gets involved in all the other "races" as well...fae, vamps.
I'm a bigger fan of Mercy than Rachel Morgan. I think she's tougher and in more ways. But I'm wondering if it's the fact that Rachel's life sucks right now lol.
Anyway, I am waiting for Bone Crossed from my library and I CAN'T WAIT!!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 295 comments I've read the first book so far. I'm totally sucked in. Very likable protagonist and interesting world she lives in.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Super! Glad you like it. She's a very readable author.

message 17: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) I loved the Mercy Thompson books though I didn't read them in order, I read Moon Called then Iron Kissed then Blood Bound but I still loved them and could most follow along. I'm not a werewolf kinda girl but I still really enjoyed them.

message 18: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I just got Bone Crossed, On The Prowl, and Cry Wolf from the library in the last week. I'm going to have a Patricia Briggs weekend...I can't wait!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Moon Called! I just finished reading it and I'm hooked on this series. Can't wait to get Blood Bound. I hear there is a graphic novel available for this series. Has anyone read it?

message 20: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I have never heard of it but I will definitely look into it. I love this series! Glad you are hooked! lol
I can't believe I stopped I stopped reading the first book before I got into it. So happy I gave it another try because now I can't get enough!

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Amelia, have you read any of her other fantasy novels or just the Mercy Thompson & Omega?

message 22: by new_user (last edited Nov 07, 2009 05:20PM) (new)

new_user I've read her fantasy novels, Mercy Thompson, and the first A&O book. They're great, but I'm happy to see her get back to straight fantasy. She's publishing her sequel to Masques (finally!) Yay!