Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > How to decide.......

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments K girls........ I have to go out of town for my orientation for my doctorate program that I am about to start... I will be there July 26- July 31.... 5 nights in a hotel...... now... how do I decide which books to take with me?!?!?! I have about 30 books here that I have yet to read.... I want to take 3 or 4 with me.... the decision is so hard!!!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Guess it would help if I listed some of them, huh?!

Firefly Lane

The Septembers of Shiraz

The Book Thief

The Historian

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets

Whistling In the Dark

The Portrait of a Lady

Roots

The Joy Luck Club

Nefertiti A Novel

those are some of the ones that I can see from where I am sitting...........oh the decisions!

message 3: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Definitely take Firefly Lane. I just finished it and it was wonderful!

message 4: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Take Nefertiti! It's one of my favorite books. Simple yet fascinating. You won't be disappointed. Plus, if you really like it, you can pick up the sequel when you get home (The Heretic Queen)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Book Thief
Book Thief

It is a Must.

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli LOVED Firefly Lane.

message 7: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments what a wonderful decision to have to make! How about mix them all up on the bed and then close your eyes and pick? From the titles you have listed it doesn't look like you can go wrong.

message 8: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I loved Firefly Lane. I would definitely take that one. I have the Historian but haven't been able to pick it up yet. I always come up with an excuse not to read it.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I suggest Roots and The Historian.

Whenever I can't choose, I write them all on slips of paper, fold them up, close my eyes and then pick at random.

message 10: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I choose The Historian - its a fun book to read.

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Tough decisions! I adored Firefly Lane, though! Definitely take it!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Funny, I'm not familiar with any except The Historian, and I'd recommend leaving that one home.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments LOL Elizabeth!! Those are just a few that I have sitting in my sight distance. I figure that with 5 nights in the hotel, that I will be able to read at least 3, possibly 4 while I am there.

Of course, I will definitely have to take my laptop with me so that I can keep up with all of you while I am gone!

Hmmmmm......... I may also have to go buy a duffle bag just for the books to take with me!!!

Elizabeth (Alaska) OK, when I go out of town, I always take at least 3 books with me - even when I know I will have an opportunity to buy some. I take something that is meaty, I take something light, I take something I've been planning to read "next" . . .

How's the knee by the way?

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments The knee is much better!! Thanks!!! It still swells from time to time, but I dont look like I have a softball on my knee under my pants!

I have even started walking again... building back up to running, just don't want to do any more damage to it!

message 16: by Holli (new)

Holli Good to hear Kat!!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Glad to hear your knee is better. (The visual of the lump in the pants took an adjustment after I reread it to include your knee.)

I know lots of folks really get into running, but think about learning to racewalk. So much kinder to your knees and other joints, and gives you a better overall workout, including the ability to get your heart rate up as good (if not better) than running. Racewalking uses more muscles than running, especially upper body so you have a fabulous core, and trust me, racewalkers have better glutes.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Firefly Lane and Nefertiti get my votes! Glad you're feeling better and things are going well.

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Goodness I hated Firefly Lane. It was read by my F2F group and no one liked it but one.

message 20: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Renee ~ I think you are the first person I encountered who didn't like that book. What didn't you like about it?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I haven't read it yet myself but seeing so many Chicks love it here made me reccomend it from Kat's list. I agree with Mandy Sue. what didn't you like about it Renee? I'm curious!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments I brought 4 books with me this week while I was at school...........and let me tell you...... they are all still in my bag! How sad is that?!?! And whats really bad.... there is a BAM and a B&N on my way to class everyday...... have not stepped foot in either one all week!!!!!

We have been in class from 745-5 everyday this week, then by the time we get dinner... I get back to the hotel at 830 or so...... needless to say that its straight to bed so that can get up and do it all again the next day.

I need a vacation!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Wow Kat, that's a full full day! Hope it's going well for you and you've been feeling good!

Elizabeth (Alaska) I don't know what to say. How's the knee holding up?

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Luckily the knee is doing good. We have been sitting the entire time... one ten min break in the morning and one in the afternoon and an hour for lunch....... other than that, my knee hasn't been used other than walking to and from the car! haha

Elizabeth (Alaska) Enforced rest! We'd all rather you were stretched out with a good book, though.

message 27: by Holli (new)

Holli Glad you are doing well and staying busy Kat. This is an exciting time for you!!