Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > ROUND IV: The Praetorian

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,935 (2935 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 58 59

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Sinner's Gatekeeper (last edited Sep 13, 2015 08:39AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 28520 comments PRAETORIAN

The Huns and The Spartans

BARCA XENA
Megan Captain • Carmen Co-Captain
Tea Co-Captain • Monica Co-Captain
JenniferAlison
AlyssaSarah Groth
Catherine TomlinsonFilipa
Danielle WatsonCatherine
Joanne MerrillKathleen
HayleyZanyar Kamaran
Katie

VARRO MAXIMUS
Karen Captain • Eldarwen Captain
Juliana Rodrigues Co-Captain • Lucy Co-Captain
Karrie ThiesMarguerite
Shan McKinneyTeri-K
Stacey CruddenAshley Co-Captain
MelissaSarah
JoanneKathryn
InêsEmma
Sanz
Lau

COMMODUS GABRIELLE
Denise Captain • Anita Co-Captain
Tonya Co-Captain • Silje Knarvik Co-Captain
TeresaDelta Stet
MichelleMargaret Lante
BlakelyBoston Kate
Brittney BradfordShannon
AnnikaNidhi
Heather SchroederAlyssa
Emily K.Sunshine
Wren

SPARTACUS JUBA
Eni Captain • Kelly Captain - shelf
StacieJoanne - shelf
Cathy M.Lori (Pigletto) - shelf
JackieAmanda A - shelf
Poongothai AZee - shelf
Rosina - shelf
Kimberly - shelf
Allison - shelf

Spreadsheets
Master Spreadsheet
Barca Spreadsheet
Xena Spreadsheet
Varro Spreadsheet
Maximus Spreadsheet
Commodus Spreadsheet
Gabrielle Spreadsheet
Spartacus Spreadsheet
Juba Spreadsheet

The Praetorian Tracking Spreadsheet

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Sinner's Gatekeeper (last edited Sep 22, 2015 09:07PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 28520 comments

Status Update

Goal 1--Varro--: Read a book where a pet name starts with the letter A EMILY
Goal 2--Varro--: Read a book that is in the Amazon 2013 bestsellers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/...) **OPEN**
Goal 3--Varro--: Read a book with the word Ms, Mr, Mrs or Miss (plurals are acceptable) in the title - KARRIE ; Mr Mercedes

Goal 4--Maximus--: Read the memoir of the leader of a country KARRIE
Goal 5--Maximus--: Read a book that has the birthstone Citrine in the text or title **OPEN**
Goal 6--Maximus--: Read a book with a lion - CATHY

Goal 7--Barca--: Read a book that starts with the letter K **OPEN
Goal 8--Barca--: Read a book with the word artist, painter, museum, art or paint (plurals are acceptable) in the title MELISSA; The Memory Painter
Goal 9--Barca--: Read a book with a country name in the title **OPEN**

Goal 10--Xena--: Read a book that appeals to your mind ; where you learn something new - TERI-K; Reading Romans in Context
Goal 11--Xena--: Read a book that has lipstick “kiss” markings on the cover **OPEN**
Goal 12--Xena--: Read a book with the phrase "It takes two to tango" in a book KAREN

Goal 13--Commodus--: Read a book with a palindrome over 4 letters in the title **OPEN**
Goal 14--Commodus--: Read a book where the author's first name is one of the top 100 male names in Spain according to nameberry (http://nameberry.com/popular_names/Spain) **OPEN
Goal 15--Commodus--: Read a book that has the birthstone Alexandrite in the text or title **OPEN**

Goal 16--Gabrielle--: Read a book with a book on the cover - INES; Uprooted
Goal 17--Gabrielle--: Read a book first published on the 25th of a month - **OPEN**
Goal 18--Gabrielle--: Read a book where a character is superstitious or believes in some myth or entity - SARAH; I am Half-Sick of Shadows

Goal 19--Spartacus--: Read a book with the word highway, road, avenue or street (plurals are acceptable) in the title TERI-K; All Roads Lead Home
Goal 20--Spartacus--: Read a book with the word artist, painter, museum, art or paint (plurals are acceptable) in the title PIGLETTO; The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
Goal 21--Spartacus--: Read a book that has been turned into a movie or TV show and the filming is done in South America. CARMEN

Goal 22--Juba--: Read a book with the phrase "a life-saver" in a book- **OPEN
Goal 23--Juba--: Read a book where the author's first name is one of the top 100 male names in Germany according to nameberry (http://nameberry.com/popular_names/Ge...) - SILJE
Goal 24--Juba--: Read a book which has the main location (setting) as South Africa EMMA

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Sinner's Gatekeeper (last edited Sep 15, 2015 10:35AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 28520 comments Arm Yourselves Spreadsheet Link

~ARM YOUR TEAM FOR BATTLE~

This is an optional mini challenge for our Gladiators for Round 4.

Our Gladiators are proving their prowess with defense, now it is time to sharpen your attack!.

Weapons on covers
Show off your weaponry!

For each book your team reads with a cover that has one of these items, you can claim an extra attack point per item – to a maximum of 5 attack points per original team.
♔ Sword
♔ Axe
♔ Bow
♔ Staff
♔ Shield
♔ Trident

Weapon Scavenger Hunt
Find these words... they are all medieval weapons
For each book your team reads that contains one of these words in the text or title (plurals are acceptable), you can claim an extra 1 attack point. Each word may only be found once per combined team, but you can claim up to 5 words per book.

♘ Arbalest
♘ Arming sword
Bailey
Ballista
♘ Barbican
♘ Bardiche
Battering ram
Battle axe
Battlement
♘ Bec de Corbin
Bill
Bludgeon
♘ Bombard
Bow
♘ Broadsword
Cannon
Caravel
Carrack
Castle
Catapult
♘ Chakram
Citadel
City wall
Claymore
Club
Cog
Crossbow
♘ Culverin
♘ Curtain wall
Drawbridge
♘ English longbow
Falchion
♘ Fire ship
Flail
Flanged mace
♘ Fortified tower
♘ Francisca
♘ Galleon
Galley
Gate
♘ Glaive
♘ Guisarme
Halberd
♘ Hand cannon
♘ Hellburners
♘ Horseman's pick
Junk
♘ Katana
Keep
Lance
♘ Lochaber Axe
Longbow
♘ Longship
Longsword
♘ Lou chuan (castle ship)
♘ Lucerne hammer
Mace
♘ Man catcher
♘ Mangonel
Maul
♘ Military fork
Moat
♘ Mongol bow
♘ Morning star
Mortar
♘ Motte-and-bailey
Murder-hole
Musket
♘ Nzappa zap
♘ Onager
Palisade
Partisan
♘ Pernach
♘ Petrary
Pike
♘ Plançon a picot
Portcullis
♘ Qiao chuan (bridge ship)
♘ Quarterstaff
♘ Ranseur
Rapier
♘ Recurve bow
♘ Repeating crossbow
Sabre
♘ Shestopyor
Shortsword
♘ Shuriken
Siege tower
Sling
♘ Sovnya
♘ Spetum
♘ Swordstaff
♘ Throwing Spear
♘ Throwing weapons
♘ Trebuchet
♘ Ulfberht
♘ Voulge
War hammer
♘ War-scythe
♘ Zweihander

◈ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your goals
◈ For the scavenger hunt, words do not need to have the same meaning in your book, but it does need to be EXACT matches, except plurals which are acceptable (for example, "keeper" or "keeping" would not be acceptable for "keep")
◈ For “Weapons on cover” ; you can claim multiples of the same item per cover (so three swords on a cover = 3 points), but still only to a maximum of 5 points per original team.
◈ You can use the same book for the weapons on cover and scavenger hunt. That means if you have a book with five swords on the cover that contains the words "sling" and "mace" you may be able to claim 7 points for that book.
◈ Books read during round 4 only for this mini challenge
◈ The usual book length rules apply, Books must be more than 160 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 40,000 words using arbookfind.com
◈ Team spreadsheets will be updated so that you can track your books and claim your points

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Sinner's Gatekeeper (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 28520 comments .

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hunterrayne) | 1209 comments Hello!!

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments reserved

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Hi everyone

I'm creating a tracing spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

I have shared it with the existing Huns, so can the captains/co-captains of Comodus, Gabrielle, Spartacus and Juba check the captains group and let me know your email address to share :)

Back in a bit

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise (kitsune816) | 1647 comments Hi everyone!

Btw since I don't have spreadsheet access yet, Stacie (Team Spartacus) just finished a book, Becoming Red (The Becoming, #1) by Jess Raven , which was first published in December (Team Barca goal). :)

message 9: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5157 comments Hi everyone! This is going to get a little crazy!

Megan, this round officially started an hour ago so if you finished it 30 minutes ago, it would count for this round :)

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 751 comments Hi all!! I am heading to bed but just checking in!!

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Megan wrote: "I just finished my book today (the 12th)... will it go toward this round or the last round (round 3)?"

Round 4 started after you posted this, so it is for this round :)

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (last edited Sep 12, 2015 06:47PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Hi everyone,

This is going to be a crazy few days while we get into the swing of things with such a big team.

It would be a great help if when you complete a book you post
Your original team name Otherwise it is very tricky for us!
Link to the book if possible (if on the app, please let us know the name and author)
Page numbers
If it works for any current goals
Any unique information that will help for our tracking spreadsheet

I also find it personally helpful for my original (Varro) team members to also post their books read to the original Varro spreadsheet so they don't get lost, so you may want to consider that too.

Every day, or after a run of goals, we'll post a "Status Update". Just look out for the image of the post-it note on the thread. I'll also edit message 2 of this thread at the same time so you can always generally see where we are at with goals.
EVEN IF someone's name is against a goal, it doesn't matter if you finish a book first that can work ; please let us know! The status update just gives us a sense of who is reading what, especially for the tougher ones.
:D

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3122 comments Hi everyone, excited to get started.

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise (kitsune816) | 1647 comments Message 5 will also be updated frequently with the current goals for each team, as well as who has said they're working on them. I've been doing that since round 1 since quite a few people get online primarily on the app and then they don't have to try and load the spreadsheets or search through all of the posts in the thread.

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5040 comments We're multiplying!!! lol

message 16: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1287 comments hey everyone. round 4 will be insane

message 17: by Delta (last edited Sep 12, 2015 07:44PM) (new)

Delta (sicname) Hi, all. Just finished:

Team: Gabrielle
Eat, Pray, Love, 334 pages
Current Goal: None
Possible Future Goals: artichoke, onion, parsley, tomato, 107 chapters divided into sections

One Thing Stolen, 272 pages
Current Goal: 72 chapters - Varro
Possible Future Goals: chamomile, mint, parsley, peas, tomato, tumble, less than 100 GR ratings, chapters divided into sections

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Delta wrote: "Hi, all. Just finished:

Team: Gabrielle
Eat, Pray, Love, 334 pages
Current Goal: None
Possible Future Goals: artichoke, onion, parsley, tomato, 107 chapters divided into sections

"

Thanks Delta! I think this one has 84 chapters based on the google preview which will work for a goal. I can't find my copy ; are you able to confirm?

message 19: by Delta (new)

Delta (sicname) I checked Amazon's Look Inside option and it actually has 108 chapters.

message 20: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1391 comments Hello new team. My internet died for a couple of hours so I got started on my "devil" book. :) Now I need to sleep so have a good night and i'll see you all tomorrow.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Delta wrote: "I checked Amazon's Look Inside option and it actually has 108 chapters."

Thanks - I hadn't gotten to Amazon yet ;) The google preview didn't have the whole book so I was hopeful :o

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Delta wrote: "I checked Amazon's Look Inside option and it actually has 108 chapters."

Do you think the words "Elizabeth Gilbert" on the cover are purple?

message 23: by Delta (new)

Delta (sicname) Looks purple to me!

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments :D

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Ok,
used: One Thing Stolen for Varro Read a book with 71-80 chapters
Eat Pray Love for Maximus Read a book with purple text on the cover

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (last edited Sep 12, 2015 08:02PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments New Goals

Read a book with the word car, vehicle, bike, bicycle, truck or lorry (plurals are acceptable) in the title

Read a book with a title with 6 or less letters

Message 2 Updated

message 27: by Moderators of NBRC, Sinner's Gatekeeper (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 28520 comments Please take a look at the round 4 mini challenge at the top of this thread.

message 28: by Teresa (last edited Sep 12, 2015 08:15PM) (new)

Teresa (hunterrayne) | 1209 comments Team Commodus
Finished Strength of the Mate, 356 pgs
paranormal, set in Iraq, military, death of unimportant characters
Characters: Adam Madison, Dawson Rivers, Tim Madison, Lucas Young, Noah Hammond, Jason, Eric,

contains the word mortar for mini challenge

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hunterrayne) | 1209 comments I can do
Read a book with a title with 6 or less letters

Honour, 202 pgs

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Thanks Teresa! I've added to our tracking s/sheet

message 31: by Kelly, Quest Master (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Finished Second Grave on the Left.

Does have "the devil" twice in the text.
"Much like the devil himself" page 93
or
"up with the concept of poodles in general had sold his soul to the devil." page 221

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hunterrayne) | 1209 comments Karen wrote: "Thanks Teresa! I've added to our tracking s/sheet"

I just checked it for the mini challenge and it contains the word Mortar :)

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (last edited Sep 12, 2015 08:17PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Nice Kelly!

I finished 1st to Die which doesn't work for any goals yet. I've added to the s/sheets

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise (kitsune816) | 1647 comments How do we add the points for the mini challenge? I just finished a book and it has to have at least a couple of the words.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

To all new team members hi and welcome!!!!

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "Thanks Teresa! I've added to our tracking s/sheet"

I just checked it for the mini challenge and it contains the word Mortar :)"

Bonus :)

message 37: by Kelly, Quest Master (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments All the mod's have access to the mini challenge spreadsheet so any of us can give you access.

message 38: by Kelly, Quest Master (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Just went through and added a bunch of people but I'm sure I missed some :P So just ask if you need access.

message 39: by Denise (new)

Denise (kitsune816) | 1647 comments LOL Kelly, I apparently have access to it. I just missed the link at the very top of that post. ;)

message 40: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 1286 comments Team Maximus

I've finished Bayou Moon, 447 pages, for pet name starts with N. The name is Nellie. It also has a sword on the cover. It contains the words bow, castle, club and crossbow. Do you need the locations of the words?

I've also finished Joy in the Morning which I've already reported on. I'll add that it has a blue and green cover and orange letters. First word "After". No goals, I don't think.

message 41: by Kelly, Quest Master (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Heh, well we probably got most of the easy words now :P

message 42: by Denise (last edited Sep 12, 2015 08:46PM) (new)

Denise (kitsune816) | 1647 comments I'm reading a book now and have a couple of others that are set in medieval type worlds, so I'll see if I can find some of the more difficult ones in those. My current read is over 900 pages and they're fighting a war for most of it, so here's hoping. ;)

EDIT: My current read also has four swords on the cover. o.O

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Thanks Teri!

All good, only bow was left and I have the quote for that from my kindle :)

message 44: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (last edited Sep 12, 2015 08:56PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments New Goals

Read a book with a body of water on the cover

Read a book with "a novel" in the title

Message 2 Updated

message 45: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1287 comments would bearly count for bear?

message 46: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1287 comments when I get home I'll check my book for the scavenger words but I am pretty sure I will have a few

message 47: by Teri-K (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:30PM) (new)

Teri-K | 1286 comments Joy in the Morning, which I just finished, has a pond on the cover, if you need it. (It's on the Maximus spread sheet twice.)

Team Maximus

message 48: by Teri-K (last edited Sep 12, 2015 09:30PM) (new)

Teri-K | 1286 comments Team Maximus

I've started Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us Just, 256 pages, for spiritual genre. It's actually "spirituality", but I assume that will work.

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 13546 comments Rosina wrote: "would bearly count for bear?"

No, for that one it needs to be the animal or just the word "bear"

message 50: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1287 comments k thanks Karen.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 58 59