Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Vacation Reading...

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, Jacks heads out tomorrow, Larry's on vacation, Sally's lost in the wilds of Kentucky, I leave for a week at my mother-in-law's on Saturday...so...let's talk vacation reading.

This will sound hopelessly nerdy, but I get quite into planning what I'll read on vacation. You need a mix, you know? And you need more books than you'll actually read. Just in case. JUST IN CASE. I also like to start a book fresh on vacation. But that's not a hard and fast rule.

Here's what I'm taking next week:

1. Archer in Hollywood-Ross MacDonald. This is actually three books in one volume...good crime writing, will work very well on long, boring days.
2. The Best American Travel Writing 2007. I enjoyed the 2009 edition quite a bit and picked this up for three bucks at Borders.
3. A Sorrow Beyond Dreams-Peter Handke. Matty says he's good. This is quite short, though, an depending on how much I read this week in another book I may end up finishing this one before we leave.
4. Jakob Von Gunten-Robert Walser. I read and loved his short stories but haven't had a chance to delve properly into this one yet.
5. The Idiot-Dostoevsky (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation). The only major Dostoevsky I haven't read...seems like a good time.

Now, I doubt I'll read them all, of course, but I have lighter material, more intense material, etc. I should say that I'm visiting somewhat of a college campus area surrounded by a fairly rural area and I'll have a lot of time to read. So we'll see. Maybe I'll watch tv all day. I don't know. But I like having the books with me. Know what I mean?

What about you? What are your vacation reading patterns?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm going to bring Harry Potter with me, in English and Spanishm Never Let Me Go, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

But I don't tend to do much reading in Hawaii.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't blame you for that. Which island?

message 4: by Félix (last edited Jul 13, 2009 06:43PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm still working on Team of Rivals. Hopefully I'll finish this week. I just picked up From Time To Time by Jack Finney. I'll read it in the hotel in KC Wednesday night.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oahu, Larry, the island of my birth. Just like President Obama. We're practically twins! ;)

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well, yes!

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I don't read much when I'm on vacation. I wish I did. I'll take a book with me to read during the plane flight, or catch a few pages here and then, but usually I'm out and about, or just lounging enough to limit my reading.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I hear you, Gus and Jackie...this vacation is...well...a weeklong visit to my mother in law's house. So...I'll probably read a lot. Unless I go off and do my own thing.

message 9: by Heidi (last edited Jul 14, 2009 06:49AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Randomanthony wrote: "I should say that I'm visiting somewhat of a college campus area surrounded by a fairly rural area..."

Are you being recruited for a faculty post?

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No, no. It's where my mother in law lives. I'll explain more when I get there.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Western NY, right?

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yup, right in between Jamestown and Erie, about as far west as you can go.

message 13: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I found Pride & Prejudice & Zombies to be VERY entertaining!

message 14: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments I just spent the past weekend in maine...I brought w/ me my kindle and a stack of 4-5 books. You have to have choices available. I didn't get much reading time in but did start A Confederacy of Dunces.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That book seems to get a lot of "I love it" or "I hate it" responses. I'm on the "love" team.

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments My sister told me it was really good and let me borrow it...So far I feel I will probably also be on the "love it" team

message 18: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments OK, this probably doesn't count since I'm unemployed and not on (paid) vacation, but these are the books I didn't pack up for my move (hoping they'll get me through until I move, otherwise I'll have to go digging through boxes).

The one I'm reading now is The Dialectical Imagination A History of the Frankfurt School and the Institute of Social Research, 1923-1950, and that should take several weeks. And during and after that one:

The Other Voice Twentieth-Century Women's Poetry in Translation
In My Own Skin
The Inferno
The Captain's Daughter and Other Stories
Steps to an Ecology of Mind Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology

(And then I always have the ones on my always reading shelf.)

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Some light summer reading, Mindy? heh.

I'm with you RA, planning vacation books is crucial, I always take more than I can read so I can match my mood or if I don't like some, with a mix of different genres (literature, sf or fantasy, and well written popular fiction).

I'm leaving for Orcas Island mid-August, our annual week there at the beach right on the water's edge. I started contemplating what I'll bring weeks ago! Since we go by car, it's not as difficult as air, no worries about weight. All I do there is read, read, read, and of course nap because doing nothing is exhausting!

message 20: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I take breaks and cross-stitch!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh Lori...Orcas? I am so jealous. I want to be in the San Juans right.now.

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I never go on vacation. I take random stray days off to have a 3-4 day weekend. Maybe I should look into this but hmmm seems odd to vacay by yourself. Hee! Maybe WDW!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I also am very bad about taking big vacations without a big reason. I'm motivated right now to save all my vacation days (and cash) so I can go to South Africa & Mozambique in December with Zu's family.
That said, I would kill to spend a relaxing week in a place I love, like the San Juans or the Adirondacks.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
I actually have a shelf called "vacation reads." I would say for a 1-week vacation I'll take two books with me. My goal on a vacation is more to do active outdoorsy things than sit and read. Ideal vacation reads for me are stuff like The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea or Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster. (Adventure stories for me, personal tragedies for others...)

message 25: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I love those adventure books too! These books always inspire me to go out and try something new.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.