Writer's Paradise discussion

Writers H-M > Sandra K-Horn's garret

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments A lot of revising today. But I did get in 500 words. I am more comfortable now with this lawyer discussion and where it will take Marcy. It is more conducive to the theme.

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1803 comments cool

message 3: by Dee, Fan of the "Young Prose Society" (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 3382 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Sandra :]

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Finished Chapter 12 today. It is interesting now to see where Marcy will take me and how she will start discovering herself. How many words over 800 today.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I have research to do for After the Tears Dry so I updated my blog about Teens and Prescription Drugs. It is hard not to get frustrated when the statistics keep getting higher. So 536 words were written today, but they are on my blog, facebook, and here under The Rabbit Trap.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Over 1300 words today. It was easy after I wandered around the zoo. So much emotion needed to be expressed. I am still not done with Chapter 13.

message 7: by Kenzie, Help feed the hungry. Donate to 30 Hour Famine! (new)

Kenzie | 1305 comments Mod
Hi, Sandra! Thanks for joining. Over 1300 is amazing!! Really great job. :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

1300? wow congratulations!

Ha ha, chapter 13, unlucky number. Good luck!

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Good work Sandra! Sorry I haven't stopped by before! Welcome!

message 10: by Sandra (last edited Jul 21, 2009 04:18AM) (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Yesterday was a very dry day. The dog next door was kept in the garage and barked all day. The little boy had many friends over and rang their ship bell constantly. The garret was a very noisy place yesterday. I edited but just as I would get started again...well it just didn't happen. I was ready to join the host of people who write at B and N. ; )

I have been pondering the interesting conundrum of point of view. Anybody do that wonder if a part of their story could be better told in a shift of point of view?

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Annie Mae wrote: "1300? wow congratulations!

Ha ha, chapter 13, unlucky number. Good luck!"

Boy have a thought of this. It has really given my a hassle.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments ♥ Tink ♥ (Paige) wrote: "Good work Sandra! Sorry I haven't stopped by before! Welcome! "

I am really glad you did!

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments The garret is still noisy today. The neighbor is having work done in the yard so there is a lot of chain sawing. Geez.... but I still was able to get out of chapter 13! 4474 words- 93 pages. I am hoping with a little luck I can go over 100. I remember with my first book; I called my dad when I got over 100 pages. Hm.
I looked at the time line of the story and that is working. I don't want Marcy sitting outside having lunch in the middle of an Ohio winter!

I also came up with fun possible ending to the story! Wow, it is a good day.

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments Yay, I'm glad!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Coolio! I love the feeling of knowing how a story can end, and yet also begin again. :D

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Jul 24, 2009 01:24PM) (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I made it! I went past page 100 in After the Tears Dry. Sure wish I could call my dad and tell him again. I still remember his "Good for you!" when I passed one hundred of Rabbit Trap. I am sure he felt like I do when my daughter Jackie talks about running marathons. I am really happy for you though I am not sure why.

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments LOL I know the feeling. :) My friend was all, "I won the Freestyle Level 6 Silver Ice iceskating competiton in Las Vegas on Saturday!"

And I was like, "Good for you!" (seriously, not sarcasticly)

And then she said, "Do you have any idea what that means?"

And I was all, "Errr.... not really. "

message 18: by Sandra (last edited Jul 24, 2009 01:25PM) (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Yesterday was really a dry low energy low creative day. I was spent because I let painting a bathroom divert me from writing. I was upset because I wasn't liking how it was coming out. So my creative energy was going into trying to solve that issue. I tried again today to solve the issue and again let it almost dry up a valuable resource. Finally, I said Hell with it and finished it and decided I can work with anything and not let it take over the good vibes that I can put into my writing. It took awhile but I got back to a good place.

Marcy from my After the Tears Dry is playing with fire. A young player type has asked her out and she is thinking about going. Her friends are not so sure she should either. She's pretty vulnerable after her divorce. After writing 3200 words, I don't know yet if she is going.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Marcy decided what she was going to do. I was relieved. There was so much to weigh. I finished chapter 15 today and wrote some more for future chapters. I didn't hit 3,000 but I did get to 2,982.

It is hard to write in a linear fashion when there is so much in your head!

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments OMG Marcy took a step even I didn't expect! How fun is that? 4101 words today. This is exciting!

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Okay. I write a lot. But I am a realistic fiction writer with not much experience with romantic writing. You know sexual stuff. I have to revisit what I wrote today to see if I even like going down this road. Challenge challenge challenge. You know if one of my students or their parent reads my book, How will I feel about it. Decisions.

message 22: by Sandra (last edited Jul 31, 2009 02:09PM) (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Okay, yesterday was a low word day. I actually just made decisions about what rating I wanted this book to earn. (Like movie ratings?) I decided to let the reader use their imaginations. Today was a hard start. But I did get 4289 in. Chapter 17 is not done yet. I will probably wait until Monday for Marcy to have this very job interview.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments 4918 words today. I took a break over the weekend and ran away to Lakeside. My hands and arms ached. My friend who is a massage therapist said it is from typing and I needed to take a break Do I did. It is such an inspirational place. I often think I could just sit on the screened in porch there and write and write. Watching Lake Erie go in and out.

Today. I almost turned After the Tears Dry on its ear but remembered what I was doing with the story and why. When back to the game plan. I want to put a bit more romance in it though so maybe tomorrow.....

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Dry, dry dry. It has been a tough two days. Chapter 19 crawled along. Now chapter 20. I started erased started erased. Got to get back into the mode. I spent more time running around today for errands. Oh well. I will get there.

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I have been stuck. So now it is time to set the bar high to finish the first draft. I am going for 1000 words a day.

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I have been happier with my writing. But I did complete over 3,000 words today. I guess I am feeling insecure like my character.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Boy I hate it when I can't get started. I managed 3,000 today. But it was a battle. I went over what I did the other day and I could tell how I was laboring to get something down. I did make it to chapter 21. I am bogged down by all this depressing health care stuff, more Hillary bashing, and school starting. I felt like I was moving in jello trying accomplish something in the last week.

message 28: by Paul (last edited Aug 14, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

Paul That's the acid test, I always think. Chrning out the words even when there's no inspiration. OK, so you may have to get rid of most of them when it comes time to edit, but at least you're still churning them out.

Good for you!

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Today is so much better. I went out and played in the rain with my dogs. I counted up 3,795 words so it must have washed the nasties away. It is so hard when there is a barrier to where to go next and then when you gently press forward the barrier gives way.

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Way to go Sandra. You're outproducing me at the minute. I think I'm going to have to log out of Twitter and MySpace and Facebook and even GoodReads tomorrow and just actually write.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Paul, I really get involved in FB and Twitter also. Goodreads is wonderful because I learn so much. It is so much easier. Today was an okay day 2,898 words. It goes past the 1000 a day. So it is good, comfortable. So little time, so much to write. ;-)

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Whew. Getting back in the groove will be hard, but I am going to go for 250 words a day. It may be spread over 48 hours but I can do it. Working full time does get in the way of my writing. But....thank God for my day job.

message 33: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 156 comments Hi, Sandra! Great word counts! I am really impressed. :o) I totally understand having a busy life. I set my own word count at 200 and haven't managed to reach that every day.

I also find FB far too distracting. I think I need a separate computer for writing that has no internet connection. LOL

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Somehow getting in the habit of writing again has been really hard. There is so much demand on time that it is a continuous fight. Time to start scheduling.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I finally returned to my blog after three months. Time just gets away from me and I love writing so much. Here is what the blog is saying.

I cannot tell people enough to keep on ear open with their kids at all ages. Campbell Brown's report on Adderall is really worth checking on . Seven percent of the kids in college right now are using Adderall illegally. I am not sure what it is saying about our kids or the college environment, but the need to achieve or stress is causing kids to use Adderall (known to students as vitamin A) to make the grade is growing. One thing I noticed in the interview with a student, is he said since he had partied too much he had taken the drug. He also said he had taken the drug for the interview with Campbell Brown. If not under doctor's care, this drug is not harmless. First it is addictive. Second, if abused it can cause tremors, heart problems, or stroke.

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments My husband and I were at Lakeside, Ohio this weekend. I visited what I envision to be Sandy's Garret by the side of Lake Erie. Peace and inspiration finds me every time I visit. It has been so difficult to find time to write with teaching but the peace that finds me by the lakeshore at least is back in my brain. I am hoping I can return to the garret this week.

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul Hi Sandra. Long time, no read. It is hard trying to combine several demanding full-time jobs and chisel out enough time to read as well, isn't it?

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Oh my goodness Paul. Yes. I have been waking up at 2 AM with the need to write. I woke up Weds. to realize that I don't know my characters in AFter the Tears Dry very well. So guess what. The last two nights I wake up thinking about Marcie, or her love conflict, or her new best friend thinking what they are like. It is better than worrying at 3 AM about something I cannot do anything about. But I do lose sleep nevertheless.

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Paul wrote: "Hi Sandra. Long time, no read. It is hard trying to combine several demanding full-time jobs and chisel out enough time to read as well, isn't it?"

Oh my goodness Paul. Yes. I have been waking up at 2 AM with the need to write. I woke up Weds. to realize that I don't know my characters in AFter the Tears Dry very well. So guess what. The last two nights I wake up thinking about Marcie, or her love conflict, or her new best friend thinking what they are like. It is better than worrying at 3 AM about something I cannot do anything about. But I do lose sleep nevertheless.

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul I always like to finish the day with a couple of hours of easy, undemanding TV like NCIS or Dexter, or CSI. Or read a book that I've read before on several occasions. So I can go to sleep with a clear mind. I only ever sleep about 5-6 hours anyway.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Oh my goodness. I feel so much better. I actually started back in! I have learned so much about verbs lately (I am reviewing the basics) feel more secure. Did not meet my goal today. But there is more time tomorrow!

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments 2500 words. Can't say they came easily. I added a new character. With all the darkness that I have been feeling it was so good to get back to writing. Life gets in the way sometimes. Today I am cooking but my spouse informed me he wants dinner done by 1:30. Did not ask told me. His reason? His son needs to get off to his brother's Thanksgiving celebration at his brothers in-laws. I am going to start today at 6 AM for the convenience of his son. I appreciate the dilemma of his son but... Oh my husband would be invited also, except he is having his own celebration with me. Somehow I need to not be sensitive to this and turn it around and make it sweet that he wants to be with me and not his kids. He would be invited to this celebration except for me. My daughter did not come because she did not want to come up from DC. My husband would not go to my brother's home in Indy because he did not want to drive all those hours and work tomorrow. So I am left with these less then celebratory feelings. And now I cook.

message 43: by Paul (new)

Paul Never mind Sandra. Just focus on the fact he'd rather be alone with you.

Or keep on thinking 'This too will pass...'.

Anyway, you have my sympathy.

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Paul wrote: "Never mind Sandra. Just focus on the fact he'd rather be alone with you.

Or keep on thinking 'This too will pass...'.

Anyway, you have my sympathy."

thanks Paul. I think that is all I needed. S

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I am revisiting verbals. My goodness there is a host of ways to write ideas that I have forgotten or maybe never knew about!

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments I have been connecting with local writing groups thanks to a friend who has recommended me to some. I am amazed how a simple connection can make a difference in the desire to write. I usually only see people that I work with on a daily basis and I go home. Seeing people outside of work has really made even a difference on how I am at work. Now it will be fun to see the difference it makes in my writing.

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments 360 words so far today. More to follow later. I need to do some shopping and I will return.

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Interesting reading in Awakening Intuition. Schultz reminds me of some things that I have forgotten on the importance of paying attention to feelings.

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments Over 3,000 words written today The Tarot I picked today said I had to invest time or money. It is a risk but to do it. How fun. 2 of Pentacles.

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (wwwsandrakhorn) | 48 comments 852 words today. They sure didn't start easily.

« previous 1