Celtic Studies discussion

Icon for this group?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments Hello! I know I'm brand new, but why don't we have an icon? Anyhoo, if I'm being too forward, just let me know :)
Jenna

message 2: by Count (new)

Count Jared | 3 comments No, that is a good question. My answer, of course, is I wouldn't know how to make great Celtic graphics if I had a master's degree, but that doesn't excuse all of us.

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments Hmmmm, what were you thinking? Does it have to be top-rate professional? I have a degree in art, maybe I could whip something up - if ends up not having the right look, just let me know. What do you think?
Jenna

message 4: by Count (new)

Count Jared | 3 comments Maybe just an animal-face knot? Those are tough enough; wouldn't want you to go crazy. And thanks, for having the idea in the first place!

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments I'll see what I can do. I've designed knots for other stuff before. Just takes longer than normal sketches because you have to figure out where the next part of the knot is going. Any animal in particular? Raven? Bull? Horse? Boar? Those are the major ones. I could throw in some mistletoe and oak too . . . .
Jenna

message 6: by Count (new)

Count Jared | 3 comments Each a good idea. Horse maybe? It is Cu Chullain's animal, if I'm recalling at all well. It's been a while since I've even glanced at the ballad of Setanta.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments Hmmmm, horse is more Rhiannon and Epona. CuChulainn is the hound :) Remember, his name means 'Culainn's Hound'? That's a good idea, because CuChulainn kicks butt! I'll see what I can do . . .
Jenna

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 3 comments Mod
Hi all. I started this group after doing a search for Celtic studies and came up lacking. I did not put up a group icon or avatar because I wanted to have group input and decided to wait 'til someone asked.

Thanks Jenna and Count!

I am good at taking images and turning them into web icons and have to software to do it. I am no good at creating the original artwork. I also have lots of Celtic related Clip Art.

If you come up with some pix you like email them to me (can we do this on goodreads?) and I will gather them and put them on a web site for us to vote on.

A question - What are general icons of Celtic studies, ie, not culture specific (irish, Welsh... ) and I would think pre-Christian and maybe even pre-Roman — something pan-Celtic perhaps. I tend more towards Continental Celtic studies. I also have hundreds of original pictures of Celtic coins, some which would make good avatars.

I go by Kernos, name is Bill, website is http://kernunnos.com

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments Coins would be good. Or perhaps an ogham sign? The three swirls together is a really old celtic symbol. I'll look into it some more when I've got a free moment. A torque would be good too . . . .
Jenna

message 10: by Al (new)

Al Jenna wrote: "Hmmmm, horse is more Rhiannon and Epona. CuChulainn is the hound :) Remember, his name means 'Culainn's Hound'? That's a good idea, because CuChulainn kicks butt! I'll see what I can do . . .
..."

CuChulainn may be the hound, but he is more commonly associated with the horse in art. In some of the stories too his horse is mentioned specifically. I think that may be where Count was coming from.

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments Really? I don't ever remember discussing CuChulainn's horse in any of my classes. He was always known for killing Culainn's hounds and thus becoming the new hound. In fact, there is a Celtic band from Ireland called "Culann's Hounds" Thanks for mentioning the horse though, I'll have to look into it.

message 12: by Al (new)

Al Yeah, the hounds were definately important in many of the stories, but I'm pretty sure there's some art that makes a point of his horse. Of course, I could be mistaken. Has anyone else seen this, or am I mixing up with another figure?

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (authorjejohnson) | 17 comments Alex wrote: "Yeah, the hounds were definately important in many of the stories, but I'm pretty sure there's some art that makes a point of his horse. Of course, I could be mistaken. Has anyone else seen this,..."

You might want to Google it - I know, I know, may not be completely accurate, but if you find anything then you know it has crossed other people's minds.