Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > Chilling almost believable story recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden I'm new to horror fiction, and fiction for that matter. I enjoy a good horror film and thought maybe I could find a short story or novel to give me some chills.

Something almost believable, perhaps an isolated haunting might be a good start to get me into the genre.

Any recommendations?

message 2: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2999 comments The Hitchhiker by Anthony Horowitz. The story can be found in More Horowitz Horror

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden Thanks, i'll try some Horowitz and see if I enjoy it.

message 4: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments Stephen King may be too obvious but I found cujo and geralds game so chilling because it really could happen oh and his short story the gingerbread girl gave me sleepless nights and nightmares

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden thanks Rhian, I was wary of trying Stephen King's books just because he's too popular lol

message 6: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments Phil start with the early books they are fantastic, there's a reason he's so popular lol

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden I'll start with the Gingerbread Girl and a couple more from Just After Sunset short stories.

message 8: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments maybe you won't find it as scary as I did but from a woman's pov its scary stuff

message 9: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2999 comments The Turn of the Screwby Henry James

A classic. The Victorian style is sometime hard to enjoy, but still quite impressive.

message 10: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2999 comments The Haunting of Hill Houseby Shirley Jackson.

That's on my own reading list, but it seems to be quite psychological and fits well into the Haunted House genre.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden Well I read King's Gingerbread girl and quite enjoyed it.

I'll start Haunting of Hill House next I think.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys and gals.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden I'm almost through Hill House. I've quite enjoyed it but I'm not sure fiction is my cup of tea.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike MacDee (mikemacdee) | 18 comments Phil wrote: "I'm almost through Hill House. I've quite enjoyed it but I'm not sure fiction is my cup of tea."

You could always read the online story Ted the Caver for something that blurs the line between horror fiction and reality. Fair warning, though, the grammar is bad on purpose to add to the realism.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments I myself have really been enjoying books by Bentley Little, he has a way of taking mundane, everyday life and turning it upside down. I get scared, I get nervous, and I get so mad at some of his characters it's unreal. I'm currently reading The Mailman, and everything I've read by him has not disappointed.

Also, James Herbert writes good horror that makes you leave the light on......

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 10 comments I want to second the love for Bentley Little. So many times(The Ignored, University, The Store)I just had to put the book down and just process what I had just read because it was so...so WRONG what just happened.

I've become really hooked on Adam Neville. Great import from England. Very creepy and atmospheric.