Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2015 Weekly checkins > 8/21 Week 33

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments Hey, guys! Guess I'll take the lead on this one.

Now that we're finished with week 33, how's everyone doing with the challenge? What did you finish last week? And for some extra fun, which prompt has pleasantly surprised you the most (e.g., thought you would hate plays, but it turns out you LOVE them)?

This week, I completed Aurora Sky (non-human characters) and Enchanted (bad reviews) by Nikki Jennard. I picked these up in Alaska while I was on vacation and looking for a book by a local author. I was pretty disappointed. But oh well. They were both quick reads - which I need, still being a few books behind (I think I'm at 29?).

And for my question, I think I've been most surprised by my new found love for memoirs. I used to shrug them off, because they weren't the escape I was looking for, but with the help of the challenge, I have found inspiration and community in memoirs. Good stuff.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Last week I only finished one book for the challenge - Funny book. And I read Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened. It was a quick and easy read.

No prompt has pleasantly surprised me yet but I have been listening to audio-books which I never thought I would enjoy. So that's a major surprise for me!

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 507 comments I finally finished The Complete Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales which was for my book that I started but never finished. A few of the stories I really love, like The Little Mermaid and The Nightingale, but most of the others are forgotten for a reason.

I think I've been most pleasantly surprised by the nonfiction books I've read this year.

message 4: by Ray (new)

Ray Jordan I'm currently reading " Mercury Falls " for my funny book prompt, although I don't find it very funny. I laughed at a couple of the jokes but I feel like it's trying to hard to be funny. Regardless, I'm almost done and plan to start "Pride and Predudice" next for my classic romance prompt.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Thanks for starting this. I always look forward to this discussion. I finished book #33 this week. Landline by Rainbow Rowell. Based on the cover. I have been most surprised by the prompt A Book With Magic.

message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments I am still behind, I've read 28. I recently finished A Game of Thrones, which took me forever, but I loved it. I also finished Palo Alto which I didn't really like, it was confusing and at times just stupid. It was a quick read though.

I am currently reading Authority, second book in my trilogy prompt.

Not really surprised by a prompt yet but I still have a lot more to go.

message 7: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments This week I've read Rob Thomas' Veronica Mars book for my based on a TV show prompt. It was good, a light entertaining mystery that had plenty of twists. I've been surprised by how much I'm enjoying nonfiction books (which are a few prompts). I've always avoided them in the past because I didn't like them but this year there are tons I want to read.

message 8: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments This week I've read Rob Thomas' Veronica Mars book for my based on a TV show prompt. It was good, a light entertaining mystery that had plenty of twists. I've been surprised by how much I'm enjoying nonfiction books (which are a few prompts). I've always avoided them in the past because I didn't like them but this year there are tons I want to read.

message 9: by Julia (last edited Aug 27, 2015 06:57PM) (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) | 18 comments I finished prompt 18) A Pulitzer Prize winning book: "March" by Geraldine Brooks and loved it, but then "Little Women" was a favourite growing up. So now I'm at 48/52 and even though I have slowed down over the last month or so to read other things, I have loved eveyminute of this challenge. I suppose the prompt that suprised me the most was prompt 21) A book your Dad loves: "Vicious Circle" by Wilbur Smith. Not having my dad with me anymore its nice to know we now share tastes in authors.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.