The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

Suggestions > September Suggestions - Nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (last edited Aug 25, 2015 08:27PM) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments I know not all of us read much nonfiction, so maybe it's time to try something new! (It's fitting since a lot of us are going back to school now!) This genre is so huge and varied! Feminist lit, race relations, biographies, history novels, THERE IS SO MUCH! So why don't we take this chance to read about something that interests us in the real world? Let's learn something new!

Here are my suggestions for this month!

Bad Feminist
We Should All Be Feminists
The New Jim Crow
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
I Am Malala
Bossypants
Yes Please
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are

MORE: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

What subjects and books are you guys interested in?? Wow, there's so much!!
Me and Sylvia are thinking of reading some feminist lit, is anyone else thinking along the same lines? Let us know what you guys think! :)

message 3: by Frogli (last edited Aug 26, 2015 03:14AM) (new)

Frogli | 75 comments Oooh look another category doubling as 'finally read one of the unread books on your shelf' :p

Quick look around my room has thrown up a few options: Dancing with Fidel (my UK copy is actually called Waking up in Cuba), As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride, A Slip of the Keyboard, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash: Piracy, Sexuality, and Masculine Identity (yes I bought it for the title, did sound interesting though but never got round to reading it), Lord of Misrule...

There's a few others too. I suspect I will go for either As You Wish or Waking up in Cuba. Maybe. I'm indecisive lol.

Of the ones I don't own, I do want to read I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

ETA: Might have slipped and just bought We Should All be Feminists on kindle so will be reading that too along with whatever else I decide on.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I rarely read non-fiction, but when I do it's usually something science related. The ones I've read that I would highly recommend are:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (really amazing book)
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales (series of really interesting case-studies by a neurologist)
Perfect Rigor: A Genius and the Mathematical Breakthrough of the Century (biogrophy of a truly brilliant, but also crazy, mathematician)

This month I plan on reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. The name kind of speaks for itself.

message 5: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (legendaryriss) | 17 comments I just ordered All I Know Now by Carrie Fletcher so I'll probably be reading that

message 7: by Melany (new)

Melany (globalbymel) This month is going to be so interesting to see what everyone ends up reading since it's such a broad category!

The most non-fiction reading I do in this category is biographies of women in power. I'm currently reading Cleopatra: A Life but some of my favorites are:
- The Tigress of Forlì: Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de Medici
- Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
- The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire

I've also enjoyed The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, especially if you want to know where your food comes from.

I'll probably be reading Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide since it's been near the top of my to-read list for awhile.

Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (jaffacaffa) | 2 comments I don't read too many nonfiction books but I'd highly recommend the autobiography The Glass Castle. This book is insane, sometimes you will have to remind yourself that this is nonfiction because of everything that goes on but I loved it.

I'd also recommend Windows on the World: Fifty Writers, Fifty Views as a sort of "coffee table book", one that you can pick up and put down reading sections at a time.

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions was really enjoyable as well if you're interested in science, space, and/or The Mythbusters.

I hope to read You're Never Weird on the Internet and Find the Good: Unexpected Life Lessons from a Small-Town Obituary Writer. :)

message 9: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Wow this is probably the most diverse discussion board we've ever had! I'm so excited to try all these interesting new reads this month. I'm leaning on the feminist side, probably going to read We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, I Am Malala, and How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are because I'm going to Paris for the first time this December.

message 10: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) I'm open to any suggestions for this month..... though I saw what promised to be a very interesting read on Russian history. Considering we read Deathless early this year, it might be cool to read. Anyway, the book is La saga des Romanov: de Pierre le Grand à Nicolas II, and I saw it in Spanish, so I'm sure there's gotta be an English version as well even if goodreads doesn't show it.

message 11: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Wow, I really want to read some history books now, especially those on powerful women. I just got She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth, and a couple others!

I definitely want to read I Am Malala at some point too! Wow, so many books out there! And now Soledad is inspiring me to read some Russian history! So cool!

message 12: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments You've hit my weakness, I love history I just don't own many history books or at least unread ones! I may or may not have acquired a couple more thanks to these suggestions *facepalm*

But also I've just remembered I have this: Confronting the Classics: Traditions, Adventures and Innovations which looks fun.

message 13: by Valerie (last edited Aug 30, 2015 08:13AM) (new)

Valerie (mmebookworm) | 16 comments There are a lot really great sounding books suggested here already. Up until recently I never read non-fiction, now if ins I enjoy it more and more.
Oddly enough I just finished "I am Malala" for an IRL book club. I would suggest the audiobook for those interested. The reader has a lovley voice, and it helped with somewhat rambling,imho, historical parts of the book.
Also Ashley (JaffaCaffa) is spot on - the Glass Castle w an amazing book. I loved it, 5 stars for sure.

message 14: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (queennovella) You guys make me want to read more non-fiction. A lot of these titles sound amazing.

message 15: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments The poll has been posted!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...