The Armchair Traveler's Club discussion

9/15 - Polynesia & Micronesia > Hear it - Taste it - Touch it - Feel it

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments This is a place to discuss non-print discoveries about Polynesia, Micronesia & Antarctica. Movies, Music, TV, Food, and anything else you find interesting!

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments The Whale Rider - A Maori tribe must contend with the distinctly nontraditional concept of having a female leader when the intended heir to the throne dies during childbirth, leaving his twin sister, Paikea, to prove herself in this inspiring coming-of-age tale.

This inspiring, magnificent film will transport you to a Maori village in New Zealand, keeping you enthralled until the last wonderful minute. My marine, ultramarathon running S.O. reminded me to mention it, admitting that even he got choked up watching it.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments Kontiki - This Oscar-winning film chronicles the voyage of Norwegian biologist Thor Heyerdahl, who, in 1947, embarked on a daring passage from Peru to Tahiti to prove his theory that South Americans aboard balsa-wood rafts settled the South Seas Islands. Shot en route with 16-millimeter camera equipment, the documentary follows the Kon-Tiki, a raft made with no nails or rivets, on the journey the scientific community considered foolish and suicidal.

WARNING: Watching this film can lead to erratic behavior such as quitting your job and eloping on magical adventures. It is a fascinating traveloge. We checked the original version out from our library, there is a 2012 remake that I have not viewed.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole (Bruddah Iz) - Perhaps the best known Hawaiian musician, played ukelele.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2 comments I thoroughly enjoyed the movie "Whale Rider". Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl's expedition on the raft Kon-Tiki is exciting in both book and movie.

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Sep 16, 2015 01:04AM) (new)

Ruth | 673 comments I found a BBC series called 'South Pacific' on Hulu.com

The production is artful with images, music and voice choreographed so that it sometimes feels more like you are watching artwork than learning from a documentary.

The segment about Anuta Island was fascinating. It's a part of Melanesia, but close enough!

I've watched a couple more episodes and am just loving this documentary. Every episdoe is art. Every episode I learn something new and fascinating about the South Pacific. 5 stars!

message 7: by Ruth (last edited Sep 11, 2015 12:45AM) (new)

Ruth | 673 comments "Boy"- 5 stars - This New Zealand flick offers a gritty glimpse at the growing up of 2 youngsters.

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments 'The Piano' - 5 stars - This incredibly sensuous film will be unlike any you have seen. Not to miss and the soundtrack is beautiful.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments Antarctica radio station:

http://www.anetstation.com/

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments There are over 1000 islands in Polynesia. A new one formed near Tonga in March this year.

http://liteonline.com/new-island-in-t...

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments There are 20-30,000 islands in the Pacific Ocean.

Just finished the 'South Pacific' series and enjoyed it immensely. Definitely does it's intended job of making me want to support marine sanctuaries and buy sustainably harvested fish.

Tim & I ate at http://www.rumbi.com/ - Rumbi Island Grill. It was delicious. I had a huge piece of nicely spiced fish and he got the rice bowl with pork. This chain looks like fast food, but the prices and quality of the dishes approach sit down restaurant quality. It's definitely worth the extra .79 cents for the Rumbi rice cooked in coconut milk with black beans and spices. The pineapple upside down cake was good, but tasted like it came from frozen, nothing special.

I watched 'An Angel at my Table', the story of Janet Frame's life. She is the famous author who was diagnosed with schizophrenia and spent several years in an institution. The movie is beautifully filmed, however they do not spend much time explaining how they arrived at this diagnosis. I imagine that the books would more powerfully portray the world inside her brain.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments We also cooked 'Kalua pig' over the weekend from Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen: More Than 150 Authentic Dishes from One of the World's Most Delicious and Overlooked Cuisines.

It was easy and delicious, though we plan to cut back on the salt next time. Tim was able to find bamboo leaves at a local Asian grocery. We used it to make Lovi pork - sort of a cabbage pork stir fry we ate with naan. Very good and easy to make.

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 673 comments Kawa - I found this New Zealand film on Hulu. As opposed to the Maoris we meet in Once Were Warriors, these Maoris are very well off financially.

The still have their issues though, like anyone. This is beautifully filmed. I remember 1 scene with the reflection of the windshield raindrops on Kawa's face - it was so Lush! Very touching and realistic film. The grandfather's performance I found particularly human.