What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Gritty/Dark/Realistic Paranormal or Urban Fantasy Book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments I always recommend this, so I'm sure I sound like a broken record right now, but Rosemary and Rue is the first in the October Daye series which I really liked. It's somewhat dark, lots of physical (and emotional) pain for the main character.

Don't know how "realistic" it is since she's a private detective, so many of the books have the usual mystery structure to them, and some also have the "big fight at the end" trope. Not too many disposable mooks though.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments This one seemed so dark and bleak that I put it down after a couple of chapters so I honestly can't say if it's any good but it is pretty grim.

Pagan

message 3: by Valerie (last edited Aug 26, 2015 05:31PM) (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments The Better Part of Darkness and Unholy Ghosts I haven't read them (they're on my list) but I've read a lot of reviews talking about how grim they are.

message 4: by Geli (last edited Aug 28, 2015 03:06PM) (new)

Geli | 18 comments Child of Fire Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly : You mentioned Dresden Files and the main character of this book as a similar feeling - only he is in a darker urban fantasy world, worse position and his whole life expectancy is drastically reduced.

Fade to Black Fade to Black (Rojan Dizon, #1) by Francis Knight : Dystopian, claustrophic feeling and the main character is a "pain mage". Very noir feeling what many readers didn't like.

Unholy Ghosts Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane : Very, very good writing style, dealing with a gritty urban fantasy world, drug use of the main character, churches and ghosts. Probably what you really want to read.

Blackbirds Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) by Chuck Wendig : She's a drifter with a tragic past and foresees the deaths of others. It's the writing style and the extremly real, gritty characters and low "magic" overall that turns this into a very noir-like book. Plays in the US.

Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz : A personal favourite of mine. It is different to most books I have ever read. He can see ghosts, and is a very real, quiet character living somewhere in the nowhere of the US (later also a drifter), that feels completely unmagical. I added it because ultimately his journey through the books might be the bleakest.

The Restorer The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens : She sees ghosts and the ghosts are dangerous. Restores cementeries and tries to solve their mysteries, without making the ghosts notice her. Not as dark but has a unique atmosphere as it plays in Southern USA with voodoo, etc. Also the heroine is not kickass but really more of a historian, which makes her very real.