What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA LGBT 'coming out' oriented

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (last edited Aug 26, 2015 11:00AM) (new)

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Young adult fiction about the main character 'coming out', specifically to parents, not friends.
Fiction is preferred, but if you have some non-fiction on this subject that ISN'T happy-go-lucky garbage, by all means, lay it on me.
Thanks.
-Z

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments I'm liking some of the recs I'm getting, but, I'm not exactly looking for focus on the 'T' (all though I must admit I need to get my hands on Parrotfish NOW)
Lesbian/gay coming out books were more what I was looking for.
But still, thanks.
-Z

message 5: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments I can't see what books you've already read, but some of these might suit you:

My Best Friend, Maybe -- secondary character, and the negative stuff revolves around coming out to someone else's parents, not her own.
Beauty of the Broken -- haven't read it, but looks like a lot of small-town small-mindedness.
The Summer I Wasn't Me -- protagonist's mother sends her to 'straight camp'.
Starting From Here -- protagonist eventually comes out to her father. (I think. Been a couple years since I read it.)
Rapture Practice -- YA-oriented memoir; the author doesn't come out to his (very religiously conservative) family in the book, but it deals with a lot of the same themes.
Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel -- Iranian-American protagonist is pushed out of the closet.
The Miseducation of Cameron Post -- protagonist's guardian finds out she's gay and ships her off to straight camp. (That description, even more than most of these, does not do justice to the book -- there's a lot more to the plot, and the guardian is a complex character in her own right.)
Sister Mischief -- heroine is sorting out her sexuality. (It's feel-good, and I love it anyway.)
Julie Anne Peters -- many of her books involve coming out and related unhappiness.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Liralen wrote: "I can't see what books you've already read, but some of these might suit you:

My Best Friend, Maybe -- secondary character, and the negative stuff revolves around coming out to som..."

Thank you very much. ^-^ I'll check those out.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Kaion wrote: "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe"

Already shelved, sorry.
But thanks anyway.

message 9: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy Miller | 4 comments Oranges are not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments Nothing Pink - painful, as the main character's parents are anti-gay christians. I think it's set in the 70s.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Sophie wrote: "Nothing Pink - painful, as the main character's parents are anti-gay christians. I think it's set in the 70s."

Oh, thanks. :D

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Liralen wrote: "I can't see what books you've already read, but some of these might suit you:

My Best Friend, Maybe -- secondary character, and the negative stuff revolves around coming out to som..."

Hey, I bought The Miseducation of Cameron Post and I'm reading it right now. I love it! :D Thank you again for the rec.

message 13: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments You're very welcome! It's quite a book.

message 14: by bookworm (new)

bookworm | 85 comments Almost Perfect

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments bookworm wrote: "Almost Perfect"

Ohh, that one looks cool. Thank you. :D

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 154 comments Amanda wrote: "Luna"

Already shelved. But thank you. ^-^

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (andforamoment) | 297 comments Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
Probably not what you want but she does come out to her dad but he is going to get married and asks her to go back in the closet

Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began

Ask the Passengers She's afraid to come out to her parents

Rainbow Boys One does tell his parents, one you see flashbacks to when he told his mom and I forgot about the third boy

Beauty of the Broken I'm not sure if she ever came out to them at the end, I forgot but she's afraid to because her dad is abusive and her mom is an alcoholic

message 21: by M_ (new)

M_ | 18 comments The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar