Japanese Literature discussion

Spring Snow
This topic is about Spring Snow
Book discussions > Spring Snow Part 1 pages 1-100

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joanne | 130 comments This discussion thread is going to be about Spring Snow by Ykiio Mishima. As I really like to discuss books by sections, I will the spoilers on my threads and let you know how far the they go to in the book. I hope others will do the same thing.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2015 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael | 59 comments I have read this book twice, ready to read it again, possibly favourite Japanese lit, but then it is the first ever read and a case when author bio is reason to read...

message 3: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn (shawnb) | 7 comments Just started reading it a few days ago. I've been looking forward to it for a while now. I would like to read the whole tetralogy.

Mike (mcg1) | 1 comments Just popping in to say that this book is on my all-time top 10 list.

Joanne | 130 comments I have finished Spring Snow Pages 1-100. Just as a reminder, this post contains
****************Spoilers for pages 1-100 of Spring Snow***

In keeping with Yukio Mishima's style, I find the writing very poetic. For me, the poetic style serves the story well to clarify the scene and gives good imagery. The pace in the book is tempered both fast and slow. I find the slow sections a little too slow. For example, I don't know why he goes into so much detail about Honda's philosophical views and scholarly readings. He nearly lost me there. However, there are other parts of the book that are quite suspenseful. All of the bending forward and backward of the romance has me wondering what will happen next. He hates her, he loves her...its very melodramatic! Kaoaki's character thrives on angst. Without it, he's bored. If things are going too well, that makes him depressed too!

message 6: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn (shawnb) | 7 comments Does anyone else find the translation very dated?

Michael | 59 comments are there other translations? does the language as translated reflect the era of this part of the tetralogy?

message 8: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn (shawnb) | 7 comments the gift wrote: "are there other translations? does the language as translated reflect the era of this part of the tetralogy?"

I don't believe that there are any other English translations.

Dioni (Bookie Mee) (dioni) | 231 comments Joanne wrote: "I have finished Spring Snow Pages 1-100. Just as a reminder, this post contains
****************Spoilers for pages 1-100 of Spring Snow***

In keeping with Yukio Mishima's style, I find the writ..."

I read this on my Kindle, so considering the paperback is almost 400 pages, I'm about there too, about a quarter in.

I also found some parts a bit slow. Seems Mishima was very careful with his characterization. The love story is also the thing that I want to know more next about, and hope the book picks up the pace soon.

HealthyUnhealthyCat | 9 comments im finding this fascinating. i dont know why but i didnt know it was going to be historical. its a really interesting time and i am really enjoying this introduction to the japanese court. but i think kiyoaki is hard to understand ... i don't quite see how he and honda are friends. i love satoko, the scene at the theatre was beautiful.

i imagine that its not going to end happily ... is one of the princes going to run off with satoko?

Christian (comeauch) | 362 comments I also like it so far! I was worried it would have too much to do with politics at first, because of what I know of Mishima and his nationalistic ideas, but it's OK so far.

Lol HealthyUnhealthyCat, I hope you're wrong about Satoko and a prince! But I think you have a point, this love between the Satoko and Kiyoaki is cute and thus in grave danger of being destroyed. #literature

Dioni (Bookie Mee) (dioni) | 231 comments Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it! I had a feeling also at the time that it wasn't going to end happily, but I just couldn't (and didn't) guess how :)

message 13: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Josh | 300 comments About 50pp in and hopefully will find the time to at least finish this one this month.