Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Fantasy > Sex in your Fantasy novel.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Begley | 22 comments Hello all,
I am curious about the thoughts of people when it comes to sex in your Fantasy novels. I've read a few that features some sex heavy scenes. there are also a few that should rightly be categorized as smut that only incidentally happen to be in a fantasy setting.
When I wrote my story I knew there would be some light romance and flirting between some characters, but I also knew that was just PART of the story, not THE story. I made sure there was a little light innuendo and some lead-ins where you know what the characters were doing next. I left it at that. Sexually explicit scenes had no place in nor would they further the main story.
I know some readers like that sort of thing, but I wanted a broader audience to enjoy the story. In fact it's safe to say my story is appropriate for mature YA readers and easily for NA.
Thoughts?

message 2: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 141 comments I don't see anything wrong with some sex scenes that are meaningfully worked into the story and depicted in the same tone and language style as the rest of the book, unless YA is your target.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) All depends on your audience, really. I wanted to capture a broader audience, so with the advice of my test-readers, I edited everything to be fade-to-black. No need to pretend sex doesn't happen at all, but if you opt for explicit or even semi-detailed scenes, you'll lose that entire pre-18 demographic.

message 4: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Begley | 22 comments If the intended tone and content of the story only made sense with sith sex scenes, I totally agree. I have some ideas floating in my head could only be classified as 'Adult'. Whether they make it into a novel is a question for the future.
Most of the 'great' fantasy novels don't have sex. Sex is not germane to the story.
Do some authors feel they need to include sex as a hook?
I just want to tell a good story.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Begley | 22 comments Thank you, Joe.
I pretty much went with the fade-to-black option. there were a few spots during editing that I had to sanitize things a little because they didn't forward the plot.

message 6: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments But you see, J.D. there are very different book choices for different people. I don't like YA, it just does not appeal to me, on any level. That does not mean it’s not good, no, far from it, just not my cup of tea. The same goes for fantasy. I've never even seen one HP movie, neither did I read any of the books, but a lot of people loved them. I read love stories with heat, so, I write love stories with heat. I accept that it won't appeal to some people, but I'm cool with that. The problem I have is with the people who see the book is steamy, from the blurb and the cover, they download it anyway, and then they proceed to bash it... Why? When I read a book, regardless of genre, I look for plot, flow, consistency and the author's ability to hold and keep my interest. If it has a lot of errors, then I'll let the author know. I won't bombard him/her with my opinion on his/her book, not my place. And the famous last words, "this book needs to be edited"... How do you know it wasn't? Which editing university did you graduate from? That's it for my rant. LOL

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 158 comments The Songs of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones is not short of sex scenes and brutal violence for that matter or is that not considered fantasy.

Lord of The Rings has some of the violence but not the sex not even much romance.

When commentators state YA do they mean children teenagers under 18s. From my perspective YAs are under thirty!

message 8: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Begley | 22 comments I am by no means a prude :) You are helping me out on whether or not it is something to shy away from in future novels.

I've considered reading Kushiel's Dart in the past and never got around to it. I've added it to my To Read list.

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 158 comments J.D. wrote: "I am by no means a prude :) You are helping me out on whether or not it is something to shy away from in future novels.

I've considered reading Kushiel's Dart in the past and never got around to i..."

Personally I don't mind in fact often the absence of the sex/violence makes the book seem twee especially when adult type situations evolve. I'm not talking graphic here but adding a touch of reality and the consequences of such relationships need to be understood as part of character development.

message 10: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments YA stands for Young Adults, under 30 is New Adults. Don't ask me, I don't write in either genre.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1036 comments Gratuitous sex insinuated into any novel, regardless of genre, is immature and amateurish. There is plenty of erotica available for readers who enjoy stories inundated with sex scenes merely to arouse or titillate.

Sex is a reality and I rather enjoy it. If it is a natural fit in the story line and makes sense, then there is nothing wrong with including it. However, it does not have to be extremely graphic. Set the scene, describe the activity in a mature and artistic fashion, but minute detail is unnecessary. Most readers are intelligent and have experienced sex, they do not require a lecture or detailed account of someone else's amorous activities.

message 12: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments There again, Jim, that's your opinion... see my point. That may or not do for me. :)

message 13: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments Hehehe!

message 14: by Emma (last edited Aug 25, 2015 01:34PM) (new)

Emma Jaye | 150 comments S.L. wrote: "Jim wrote: "Gratuitous sex insinuated into any novel, regardless of genre, is immature and amateurish. "

*Hangs head in shame." Sorry, Dad."

Where's the 'like' button?
Sex is a part of life, and I don't feel I'm 'immature' because I enjoy reading stories that include it, the candles that are due on my next birthday cake certainly proves that I can't claim immaturity on a chronological basis.
I read novels for pleasure and escapism, I've got enough dry'meaningful' text to read for work.

message 15: by K.D. (new)

K.D. McQuain (kd_mcquain) | 94 comments I have some adult scenes in my new novelNYV: PUNK, but I'm going for a UF/NF audience I don't have any problem with mature content as long as it is made clear from the start, as with the cover or a disclosure.

message 16: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments My sentiments exactly! I read a lot of boring textbooks for school. So, when I read and/or write I do so for fun and enjoyment. I enjoy heat. I like my story to have some substance with the heat, but don't deny me the heat. I want to get up and take a walk, because I'm hot, when I write and when I read. LOL

Let me know, I have free gift codes so anyone can get any of my books. P.M. and I'll send you a code in a hurry. :)

message 17: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Wright (everealm) | 15 comments My fantasy series has sex and quite a bit of it, really. My characters are all adults when intimacy occurs. There are teenagers in my books, but they won't be having sex until they are adults. I try to be realistic. Couples come together and are intimate. That's how it happens in real life, so why not in fantasy? Your level of graphicness (not a word!) may be different from mine because my series is a fantasy-romance, so the romance is expected. Then again, I read romance novels with plenty of sex scenes when I was in high school, so my level of acceptance is higher than others who were still reading Babysitter's Club in the 10th grade whereas I was reading Nora Roberts and Terry Goodkind (not much sex, but more graphic). I put a disclaimer on my novels, but I don't want to alienate the older teens and young adults who are mature enough for my writing, so I haven't labeled my books as anything other than fantasy and romance. If they don't like what they find, they can always put it down. If they read/watch the Game of Thrones, they won't be surprised by anything in my series.

message 18: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments Well said!

message 19: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Begley | 22 comments As we all know, there IS a market for everything. Sex has its place but as J.D.W said your book should be appropriately labeled and marketed.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought a book thinking it was one thing (scifi) only to find out it was something else (romance in scifi setting). That's great if your into Romance novels (not my thing), but disappointing if it is not.
I guess it boils down to being responsible.

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Glynn (nancyglynn) | 59 comments Ju wrote: "My sentiments exactly! I read a lot of boring textbooks for school. So, when I read and/or write I do so for fun and enjoyment. I enjoy heat. I like my story to have some substance with the heat, b..."

"I want to get up and take a walk, because I'm hot, when I write and when I read." - Ju

Just peeking in and saw this comment. LOVE! Need those walks! ;) Ok, back to my romance corner!

message 21: by Angel (new)

Angel Haze (authorangelhaze) | 18 comments J.D.W. wrote: "My fantasy series has sex and quite a bit of it, really. My characters are all adults when intimacy occurs. There are teenagers in my books, but they won't be having sex until they are adults. I tr..."

Very true. It really depends on who you are marketing to. I, too, had friends who read smut in high school and I come from the American Pie generation lol. I'd be careful not to overdue it with graphic details though. I write YA fantasy with my husband Slade and he is very careful with mature themes. Hell, he's afraid to even use the word "damn." And you're right, if most of your readers are also fans of A Song of Fire and Ice, then really, it's not going to shock them. Nothing will after that!! Some people were outraged when Patrick Rothfuss added steamy sex scenes in the fae world with his second book. (His Kingkiller trilogy is a must read if you haven't read them!) Although it was different because the first book was him growing up and learning magic, other readers (including me) thought the second book was awesome. Kvothe is older and growing more...experienced. I have never read a romance book. I prefer fast-paced action, adventure, and suspense, but let me tell you those fae sex scenes were HOT!! So it really depends on your target audience. Whatever you do, you can't please everyone so just go with your gut and what you feel is right for the readers you most want to target.

Hope that helps!

:)

message 22: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 276 comments i only write fade to black because im too cold and clinical when it comes to sex scenes (but i go ham on grimdark ultraviolence yay). i tend to write YA and NA so im accustomed to self censoring.
if you are comfortable with writing such go nuts. hopefully the sex scenes fit in the overall plot and arent used as filler

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric Mrozek (eric_mrozek) | 17 comments I put in a few sexually-related scenes because my fantasy is a pitch-black war story. Many members of my main cast are military personnel, so you naturally have certain situations where they are crass and crude. Well, that, and there is that one assassination scene...

message 24: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Begley | 22 comments I appreciate all the feedback.