Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

11 views
Incidents in the Life > Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl - Week 3, Chapters 19-29

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1164 comments Mod
This is where we discuss the incidents in chapters 19-29.


message 2: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments This section was just jaw-dropping for me. You did what?!


message 3: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1164 comments Mod
It is hard to believe that Linda stayed hidden all those years and NO ONE said anything!

The hardships she endured were unbelievable. I need to keep moving so I would have given up within a month.

Also, she didn't have heat or air conditioning to protect her from the elements.


Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments I would have given up to, especially when she was attacked by biting insects while in that crawl space!


message 5: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments ☯Emily wrote: "It is hard to believe that Linda stayed hidden all those years and NO ONE said anything!

The hardships she endured were unbelievable. I need to keep moving so I would have given up within a month..."


A Note at the beginning of my edition points out that for seven years she did "nothing but read and sew". Not sure what books she would have had access to, but quite possibly this was her education. Without this, she may not have learned to write as well as she did.


message 6: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1164 comments Mod
Ginny wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "It is hard to believe that Linda stayed hidden all those years and NO ONE said anything!

The hardships she endured were unbelievable. I need to keep moving so I would have given u..."


Yet the hole was very small, so I wonder how she could do those things with so little light.


message 7: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 26 comments This is the third time I've read this and this section still shocks me. It sounds as if she really suffered, especially when she describes the affect it had on her physically and that after a while she couldn't really do much physically. I think the worst thing was when she described how cold she was during the winter and how happy she was when they were able to place hot coals on bricks for her so she could have some heat. I think I would have thought about giving up, but when you think about the fact that she would have had to go back to Dr Flint, it's no wonder she stayed there for so long.


message 8: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Ginny wrote: "...Not sure what books she would have had access to, but quite possibly this was her education...."

I think it was pretty much just the bible.


message 9: by Maelanie (new)

Maelanie (goodreadscommellieb) A.D. wrote: "This is the third time I've read this and this section still shocks me. It sounds as if she really suffered, especially when she describes the affect it had on her physically and that after a while..."

She stated she almost died a few times up there, if I recall correctly. But you are right; the thought of being with that disgusting, pervert gave her strength, and of course the will to live is powerful, even a worm wriggles for life.


message 10: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 26 comments I agree, Maelanie, the will to live is powerful. Her children also gave her strength.


message 11: by Maelanie (new)

Maelanie (goodreadscommellieb) Yessss .... I agree!


back to top