NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > NetGalley vs. Edelwiss

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments I have been a NetGalley member since October 2013 and I LOVE IT!
Recently I have also signed up with Edelweiss and have three of their books for review.
As I have not yet posted any reviews for Edelweiss I was wondering if anyone on this group can give me any tips/directions for doing so. I can find very little in the way of direction on their site.
Is there a place on the site where you submit your reviews?
How do you let them know you have reviewed the title?

Many thanks in advance
Lynne

message 2: by Penmouse (new)

Penmouse | 32 comments You open up the review box and submit your review. There is a box you check off that says something like "send to the publisher." As best as I can tell, that's how the publisher knows you've submitted your review. Hope this helps!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 148 comments Im a member on both and I feel like Edelweiss isnt very user friendly.

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments Thanks Penmouse and Susan. I appreciate your replies.

message 5: by Penmouse (new)

Penmouse | 32 comments I agree about Edelweiss about being difficult to use and not user friendly. Last night I showed my computer savvy daughter the website and she shook her head in disbelief.

I like NetGalley much better as it's much easier to find and review the books.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 429 comments I just signed up for Edelweiss and got approved for a book but I agree with the above the website is poorly designed and not very user friendly. NetGalley rocks!

Glad to know how to submit the review to Edelweiss as I was trying to figure that out also.

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments I have just created a group called Edelweiss Reviewers.
I welcome all who have submitted at least one review to Edelweiss to join this group and share any tips/knowledge that they have discovered along the way.
Hoping to hear from you.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 14 comments I find edelweiss so easy to use. Maybe it just takes a bit of time. And once you get the hang of it it becomes easy.

I like that you can see when the books are added. I like that you can write why you want to read a book. To me that is so huge.

message 9: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Another thing I like about using Edelweiss is that it sometimes offers titles before they are on NetGalley and also there are some titles that aren't on NetGalley so it does provide different opportunities.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 14 comments I like netgalley. But they don't really give reviewers a good way to interact with the publishers. Basically you just click that you want the book. But there is no way for the publisher to know if it happens to be your favorite author who you would cut your arm off for a chance to read the arc.

I just really like edelweiss' set-up a lot better.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments I tried to sign up at Edelweiss but never received a confirmation email from them, so my registration could never be completed. I checked my spam box and everything. Oh well, NetGalley has more than enough stuff for me.

message 12: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 163 comments Jennifer wrote: "I like netgalley. But they don't really give reviewers a good way to interact with the publishers. Basically you just click that you want the book. But there is no way for the publisher to know if ..."

Hi Jennifer,
Perhaps you would like to join the new group I set up called Edelweiss Reviewers.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
You sound like you have expertise to share.

message 13: by Angie Elle (last edited Oct 06, 2015 03:39AM) (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 24 comments Jennifer wrote: "I like netgalley. But they don't really give reviewers a good way to interact with the publishers. Basically you just click that you want the book. But there is no way for the publisher to know if ..."

I think that Netgalley's website is much easier to navigate (for me,) but I think being able to tell the publisher why you want the book makes a difference. There was a publisher who never approved me, and when I started linking to previous reviews for their authors, I started getting approved by them! I think that's a huge help.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 429 comments I have been approved for one book which I haven't read as yet. But I know I requested about another three. Is there someone on the site where you can see the "pending approval" books as there is on NetGalley?
thanks

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 14 comments Dorie wrote: "I have been approved for one book which I haven't read as yet. But I know I requested about another three. Is there someone on the site where you can see the "pending approval" books as there is on..."

Once you click on "review copies" you should see something called "requests". It will tell you what you have been approved for, declined and what is pending.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 429 comments thanks I'll check it out tomorrow. Off to see the musical Dirty Dancing with my daughter, a night out!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 429 comments Question, I have some titles on NetGalley which have been sitting pending for over a month. Is it o.k. for me to request those same books from Edelweiss??? I was hoping maybe I could get them there.

Jennifer, thanks I found the section on requests :)

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 14 comments IMO it is okay to request the same books on edelweiss (unless I suppose you are always accepted for everything on both).

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 429 comments Thanks Jennifer I'm going to do that because as I said the pending books on NetGalley have been sitting there for over a month who knows if they will approve?

message 20: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 40 comments One thing that I like about Edelweiss is that you can actually request a book a second time if you are declined.

I have been approved for a book that I wanted to read after being initially declined.

message 21: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Dorie, I've done that a few times with different results each time . I was turned down by both for one title , approved on Edelweiss and got no response from NetGalley for another and approved by both for another . I haven't read that one yet but will post my review on both sites . I also was denied for one on NetGalley and approved on Edelweiss. No rhyme nor reason but worth trying .

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 429 comments thank you everyone, I'll give it a try :)