The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Book of the Month > The Uninvited

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
This is where we will discuss September's BOTM The Uninvited.

message 2: by Trinity (new)

Ordered mine. Should be here within a week.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Ordered mine through interlibrary loan. Hope to start as soon as I finish Bellman & Black.

message 4: by Gills (new)

Gills Muir | 36 comments Just finished this. Really enjoyed it, not my usual choice of book as I don't usually read anything set in war time but it did get me interested in the effect of the First World War on the U.S. I did not see the twist coming and it raised the book to another level. Thanks Gothic Book Club for a good read

message 5: by Trinity (new)

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it Gills!

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Rene (digitaldiva) | 43 comments I have to be honest, I'm one of Cat Winters's readers. Cat had written an earlier book, IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, a YA novel paranormal about the Spanish Influenza pandemic. An editor at William Morrow read BLACKBIRDS and asked her to write an "adult" novel. I've read her next book, THE STEEP AND THORNY WAY that will be released in the spring of next year. It's a fun read too and quite Gothic.

message 7: by Su (new)

Su Kopil (sukopil) | 41 comments Sorry, am way behind on my reading and haven't even bought this one. But based on Gills' and Lee's comments I still want to get it. Just won't be in time for the discussion.

message 8: by Trinity (new)

Still waiting on my copy...

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I started this one last night...good so far!

message 10: by Trinity (new)

My copy came in today! Finishing upPrince of Thorns and then I will delve into it!

message 11: by Trinity (new)

Lee wrote: "I have to be honest, I'm one of Cat Winters's readers. Cat had written an earlier book, IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, a YA novel paranormal about the Spanish Influenza pandemic. An editor at William..."

Nothing wrong with that. I read for NetGalley and promote books from there all the time.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Started this on Sunday.

message 13: by Trinity (new)

No worries Nancy, we'll be here waiting for you. :D

message 14: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (vickymarie) i started it the other day. unfortunately, i did not find the beginning particularly brilliant. straight into it, which i like but i for the life of me could not really understand why she would leave just then. yeah yeah i know why because the author told me but so far my sympathy for the heroine has not appeared and my understanding of her is not enough to really be able to understand her actions.

i'm a bit further along now and i am quite excited to continue. i guess the brother of the murdered man will reappear. enjoyed the scene with the guy she knew with the un-american committee or what it was. all that surveillance and distrust seems promising.

the style i like. it really reads well. and the book itself is nicely made. the type etc. like it.

how easy did you get into it?

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) It's definitely a fast read...I am already 35% done and I haven't really had much time to read. I agree with Antonia that the beginning is kind of unbelievable. (view spoiler)
I'm going to keep reading because even though I don't quite understand the character's motivations I am intrigued enough to see where the author is going with this story. I'm anxious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this one.

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee Rene (digitaldiva) | 43 comments My biggest issue with the novel is that you don't understand the protagonist or her actions until the end. I've read all of Cat's very intelligent YA novels, and found I had more issues with this leading character than in her other books.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Yes, it's very confusing for almost two-thirds of the story. Once you have the key though, things make more sense. I found the beginning a little slow and couldn't see how the ghosts played into it. The story did win me over though, and I'm finding myself going back to reread certain scenes, based on what I now know.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) That's good to hear Michelle because I really want to like this book! I'm looking forward to reading some more before bed now that I know things are going to come together later on in the story!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Nancy wrote: "August has been an unusually busy month.. way behind with my reading. so just now i am reading whatever falls to hand.. am reading from my challenge list.. looks to be busy all this fall and into ..."

Hopefully you will still add your comments and insights sometimes Nancy. :)

message 20: by Michelle (last edited Sep 14, 2015 03:02AM) (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Sarah wrote: "That's good to hear Michelle because I really want to like this book! I'm looking forward to reading some more before bed now that I know things are going to come together later on in the story!"

I do too, but it's a 'delayed gratification' lol

message 21: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (vickymarie) thank you lee and michelle - i look forward to the point when everything becomes clear.
[but as the text flows really well i do not mind reading on just yet (am up to chapter 4 when she moves in with that widow).]

i like her descriptions of place, it really does put the town and the furniture shop in my mind's eye.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I finished the book today, but will wait for others to finish before I post my thoughts.

message 23: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (vickymarie) sounds a bit ominous- not many people here seem to like it much... so far (ch.16) my gripes are that her (Ivy) motivation still is unclear and the dialogue somehow seems "off", and it starts to become a bit repetitive- Daniel-ambulance-Masonic hall, repeat.
but- I am still excited about where this will lead.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Antonia wrote: "sounds a bit ominous- not many people here seem to like it much... so far (ch.16) my gripes are that her (Ivy) motivation still is unclear and the dialogue somehow seems "off", and it starts to bec..."

Yeah, I also thought Ivy (as well as the story) seemed to be stuck in a bit of a rut. Her behaviors seemed so out of character for a young woman who was a virtual recluse for 7 years - to dive into all those things at once, and night after night. Sarah had an earlier post, with 'spoiler alerts', that alludes to the same thing. It does make sense though, in the context of the twist and the end of the story.

message 25: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (vickymarie) also finished the book today.

time to go ahead discussing the end yet?

message 26: by Trinity (new)

Feel free. I will join in on the discussion once I am finished.

message 27: by Trinity (new)

Sadly, I don't think I am going to be able to get to this this month. I may have to take a break from the monthly read for a while. It seems like a busy time for a few of us. No worries about maintaining the group but I will catch up over winter break (teaching life is rough at the moment).

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Trinity wrote: "Sadly, I don't think I am going to be able to get to this this month. I may have to take a break from the monthly read for a while. It seems like a busy time for a few of us. No worries about maint..."

God Bless You Trinity! As a teacher I know you have a lot of hard work to do (my husband has had it rough in education at times). Hope you can sneak a few minutes for yourself every day. :)

message 29: by Trinity (new)

Michelle wrote: "Trinity wrote: "Sadly, I don't think I am going to be able to get to this this month. I may have to take a break from the monthly read for a while. It seems like a busy time for a few of us. No wor..."

Thanks Michelle. I relish my lunch breaks this year. I'm almost afraid the other teachers at school may begin to think I don't like them LOL

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Having 20-30 minutes to yourself to read has got to be way more restorative than listening to all the 'comments' in the staff lounge. Don't feel bad about it!

message 31: by Trinity (new)

FINALLY reading this one!!!

message 32: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 686 comments Mod
Found a copy.. Yay. Might just catch up.

message 33: by Trinity (new)

Ok, can someone please explain to me why she just hopped in bed with Daniel? So irked I can't even continue reading it. This book seems very haphazardly thrown together.

message 34: by Trinity (new)

Let me state, I got 30 pages past that scene and it was still grating on my nerves... had to stop.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nanlewis) | 156 comments Trinity wrote: "Ok, can someone please explain to me why she just hopped in bed with Daniel? So irked I can't even continue reading it. This book seems very haphazardly thrown together."

Trinity, check out message #16 - I don't think if you read the spoiler it will "spoil" anything for you.

message 36: by Trinity (new)

Michelle wrote: "Trinity wrote: "Ok, can someone please explain to me why she just hopped in bed with Daniel? So irked I can't even continue reading it. This book seems very haphazardly thrown together."

Trinity, ..."

Lol, glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

message 37: by Shaina (new)

Ok I caught those though I haven't started yet. Doubting reading this one.

message 38: by Trinity (new)

Shaina wrote: "Ok I caught those though I haven't started yet. Doubting reading this one."

Many have said it all comes together in the end. It's just a character flaw that irks me to no end. Don't quit before you've begun.

message 39: by Gills (new)

Gills Muir | 36 comments It does come together, I'd advise sticking with it

message 40: by Shaina (new)

Thanks, you two. :)

message 41: by Shaina (new)

Trying to read this one now.

message 42: by Trinity (new)

Good luck :) Hope you enjoy it.

message 43: by Shaina (new)

I like your thoughts on this Nancy. It gave me a different view. I mean I saw this, but that she was having freedom but in a way, the ambulance part.... Maybe helping others let go and find their freedom. Yeah. I like that.

message 44: by Trinity (new)

I'm glad you ladies enjoyed it!