Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > The Best Book I read in JULY/AUGUST was ...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1421 comments Mod
Add the book you enjoyed most over the summer/winter holidays, and tell us more about it.

It's a hard call for me - I think it's a tie between Secrets of Black Water Creek and Frankie Dupont And The Science Fair Sabotage. Very different books, but both will keep MG readers going through to the exciting end!

message 2: by S.W. (last edited Aug 25, 2015 04:50AM) (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 843 comments Mod
I've been mixing my genres up lately, but an MG book that I did enjoy was
A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement, #1) by Jennifer Ellis

message 3: by Jemima (last edited Aug 26, 2015 01:27PM) (new)

S.W. wrote: "I've been mixing my genres up lately, but an MG book that I did enjoy was
A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement, #1) by Jennifer Ellis"

I liked that a lot. I wonder when the author's sequel to it will be out. She's very prolific!

(edit) Ooops. A Quill Ladder is already out - since last November. Book 3 is on its way!

message 4: by Jemima (new)

Melissa the Shelf Stalker wrote: "My favorite would be The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and a close second would be the sequel to that [book:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and L..."

Reading this and the start of the some of the reviews, and I added it to my To Read list. How I'm ever going to get to the end of that I have no idea.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I just finished two paranormal/horror books, which I normally don't read, and was surprised by how much I liked them:

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker
The Crossroads by Chris Grabenstein

The first reminded me a bit of Neil Gaiman, and the second was so engaging I'm going to read the next in the series.

message 6: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 843 comments Mod
Jemima wrote: "S.W. wrote: "I've been mixing my genres up lately, but an MG book that I did enjoy was
A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement, #1) by Jennifer Ellis"

I liked that a lot. I wonder when the author's sequel to it will be o..."

Thanks for the tip, Jemima. Ive added book 2 to TBR.

message 7: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Hands down Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

I can't believe it took me so long to read this book!

message 8: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (fearlesshyeana) Lea wrote: "Hands down Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

I can't believe it took me so long to read this book!"

Ooh, I loved this! Read the 2nd and eagerly awaiting the third. Tim Burton is currently working on the film, so that should be interesting!

message 9: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (fearlesshyeana) I've mainly been re-reading Roald Dahl this month, but one new read was The Dreamsnatcher by Abi Elphinstone by Abi Elphinstone. I loved her feisty main character, Moll.

message 10: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Gabrielle wrote: "Lea wrote: "Hands down Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

Ooh, I loved this! Read the 2nd and eagerly awaiting ..."

My daughter (13) forced me to read this. She's waiting on book 3 also and is eagerly anticipating the movie.

message 11: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Lea wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "Lea wrote: "Hands down Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

Ooh, I loved this! Read the 2nd and..."

I have this sitting on my shelf . . . . hope to get to it eventually!!

message 12: by Barbara (last edited Sep 05, 2015 12:12PM) (new)

Barbara Gipson (zipper34) | 12 comments The best book I read in August was The Wizards of Mickey. Yes, this was a comic book. What made it so special is that a nine-year old boy wanted to improve his reading skills and asked me to help him read while he was waiting for his mother, and I, my sister during a doctor's visit. After answering some of his questions, we finished the book together. It was a wonderful moment.

message 13: by Jemima (new)

Barbara wrote: "The best book I read in August was The Wizards of Mickey. Yes, this was a comic book. What made it so special is that a nine-year old boy wanted to improve his reading skills and asked me to help..."

That's wonderful!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Sweet. Thank you for the warm fuzzies, Barbara.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 25 comments I recently read the teen paranormal I Belong to the Earth. It was a well-written, mysterious, and creative read!

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
For mine, I might pick Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir Tomboy A Graphic Memoir by Liz Prince and Listen, Slowly Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.