Horror Aficionados discussion

eReaders/eBooks > Non-US buyers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) I've got a list of books I need to get on Kindle, mostly horror, however the silly publishers are allergic to foreign customers and have banned their kindle books from non-US buyers.

I find this somewhat offensive and self-destructive because if a book has been sold to Kindle, in English, with the regular international licenses still in effect for the audiobooks and harcopies, why not eBooks too?

I've tried contacting some publishers (Anne Rice's, etc) but have been either fobbed off or ignored entirely. I've gotten to the stage where I'm afraid to look up a Kindle book for fear of getting stuck with the 'this title is unavailable in your country' disclaimer.

I live in Australia, man, not the Antarctic or Narnia!

message 2: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 117 comments No publisher is banning sales. If a book isn't being sold on Amazon Australia, it's almost certainly a copyright issue.

I can't think of a reason a publisher would do that.

In fact, Antarctica might be simpler, given that there are no copyright laws, there.

message 3: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) I don't buy from Amazon Australia as there are hardly any books there, and it can be cheaper direct from regular Amazon.

US Amazon Kindle store allows international buyers, save for some series. Or strangely, we can buy the Spanish version, but not the English of the book.

Some authors I looked up argued in their blogs that it is too 'expensive' to allow international publishing. Another one complained that pirates got ahold of her book, so she revoked non-US licenses. I won't name names, but it's quite ridiculous.

message 4: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 117 comments Strange behaviour, for the author. Dig a hole and pull it over you, to avoid danger.