Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month September 2015 - Red Rising and Storm Front

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
The winners for September are:

Sci-fi: Red Rising
Fantasy: Storm Front

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books - anyone can create these!

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
I bought Red Rising on Friday so all set for it. I think I have a copy of Storm Front somewhere so will try to get to it over the month but I think Red Rising is exciting me more

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 359 comments Storm Front is sitting on my shelf, waiting; so glad it made the poll! I also queued in for the Red Rising audiobook at our library, and I should have it by September 3.

message 4: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
Brilliant - very well organised Sam :D I myself will probably only read Storm Front in September as with changing jobs and finishing my final assignment I am a bit behind and still have A Darker Shade of Magic from this month to read!

message 5: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 882 comments Mod
I've read both and look forward to discussing them with people as I loved both of them. :)

message 6: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
Never read storm front but red rising was fantastic

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Finally I will get round to reading my review copy of Red Rising :D I hope...

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I've got Storm Front ready to go.

message 9: by Papercuts (new)

Papercuts (goodreadscompapercuts) Both of these seem like great books ,going to buy them tomorrow !

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Storm Front was fun! I think I'm 4 books in to the Dresden Files. I haven't yet been convinced to attempt Red Rising, so I'll be curious to see what everyone thinks of it. I *try* not to get into a trilogy until it's complete, if possible (looking at Patrick Rothfuss here... xD).

message 11: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2022 comments Mod
Susie wrote: "Storm Front was fun! I think I'm 4 books in to the Dresden Files. I haven't yet been convinced to attempt Red Rising, so I'll be curious to see what everyone thinks of it. I *try* not to get into a..."

I just can't do that, I have probably 15 different series going right now...

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Grr, Storm Front is not in any of the county libraries near me - and they charge to reserve here! :( They don't in my home county... very odd.

message 13: by Papercuts (new)

Papercuts (goodreadscompapercuts) just bought them both, finishing august Botm also :)

message 14: by Arjan (new)

Arjan de Vries | 7 comments Susie wrote: "Storm Front was fun! I think I'm 4 books in to the Dresden Files. I haven't yet been convinced to attempt Red Rising, so I'll be curious to see what everyone thinks of it. I *try* not to get into a..."

The last book of the trilogy is already written and comes out this january

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Arjan wrote: The last book of the trilogy is already written and comes out this january

BUT is it worth reading? ;) That's good to know, I'm keeping an open mind, curious to see what people say! Also, key word was "try" - there are always trilogies/series to stumble upon, accidentally or by recommendation!

message 16: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Just finished Red Rising an hour ago and I was actually blown away. Wow. Well worth the read

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom | 216 comments I've finally picked up golden son this week after it dropped from 10.99 to less than a fiver on kindle

message 18: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments Man, the prose in Red Rising is so angry. It reflects perfectly how teenagers often think about adults and society's rules.

On the other hand, I'm having a little trouble imagining what the world looks like. Though I must say I haven't had much time and I've just read 7%.

Did any of you think the same?

message 19: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Perhaps for that bit, but later on it's much more vivid :)

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I'm enjoying Storm Front. Anyone finished yet?

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
I found the start like that Matias.It was good but didn't draw me in much.
Believe me that it changes completely.

message 22: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2022 comments Mod
Feel free to start discussion threads to talk about these books...

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Heingarten (paul_heingarten) | 2 comments Susie wrote: "Storm Front was fun! I think I'm 4 books in to the Dresden Files. I haven't yet been convinced to attempt Red Rising, so I'll be curious to see what everyone thinks of it. I *try* not to get into a..."

I liked Storm Front. This was my first and will probably be going further into the series.

message 24: by Matías (new)

Matías | 41 comments I'm moving houses these days, so I haven't had much time to read, but Red Rising has definitely improved and now I can picture the world Mars much better than at the beginning.

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark Fearnley | 31 comments totally agree with Paul, red rising was awesome! maybe cos i really didnt know what to expect?!
really looking forward to its sequel....

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.