Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Hugo Awards

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3110 comments This year I finally realised that I could vote in the Hugos, and also nominate. This year's been pretty controversial, but hopefully things might be better as a result. Having said that, I think that there may well be some worthy writers who missed out on winning the nomination rounds, and probably a Hugo as a result.

Having said that - Congratulations to our own Australian podcasters from Galactic Suburbia who won a Hugo this year! http://galactisuburbia.podbean.com/p/...

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68405 comments Mod
I don't know anything about the Hugo Awards (hadn't heard of them until your mention) but it's good you can vote:)

message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3110 comments Brenda wrote: "I don't know anything about the Hugo Awards (hadn't heard of them until your mention) but it's good you can vote:)"

They're fan based awards, but are generally regarded, along with the Nebulas, as the pinnacle of Speculative Fiction writing awards.

http://www.thehugoawards.org

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68405 comments Mod

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) I've always found Hugo Awards to be a glorified popularity contest to be honest :P Nebula are a bit more respected.

message 6: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11002 comments Mod
There is always so much conflict around them that they become a bit scary! I still like to see who gets nominated though.

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3110 comments If you choose to vote (costs $US40 for a supporting membership to WorldCon) they send you the Hugo Packet! It has short stories, novellas, novelettes, books, graphic novels and fan writing. Total bonus :)

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments never heard of thr hugo awards..some reason the name gave me a laugh tho

message 9: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Liam wrote: "I've always found Hugo Awards to be a glorified popularity contest to be honest :P Nebula are a bit more respected."

That's not necessarily a bad thing Liam - I resist many award winning books because 'experts' decide what books are worthy for me to read.

I like the fact that people on the ground can have a say in which of their favourite writers and/or stories get a look in at winning an award.

I have long thought that all major book awards should have a 'popular' vote. Let the 'experts' decide on the short list and a winner of their choice. But also open it up so their can be a popular vote winner too.
Like the Archibald art prize :)

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I'm surprised so few readers have heard of the Hugos. I thought it was more well known in bookish circles. Shows how much of a nerd I am.

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) Sally906 wrote: "Liam wrote: "I've always found Hugo Awards to be a glorified popularity contest to be honest :P Nebula are a bit more respected."

That's not necessarily a bad thing Liam - I resist many award winn..."

But then you get the issue like they have this year where it's basically just social justice warriors vs. sane people.

message 12: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Yea I know - I guess it's a case of you can't please all of the people all of the time :(

I'm not sure if there is an answer.

I like to think of myself as sane person who believes in social justice - LOL!!!

message 13: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3110 comments I've always thought of social justice warrior as a compliment :) And also nice to be considered sane.