Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > September 2015 Group Read Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments Suggestions for group read for September... and Go!!! Theme will be Satan is your pal. Demons, possession, cults and the like.

message 2: by Kat (new)

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments No suggestions, but Satan is awesome! Looking forward to see what others recommend

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10648 comments Mod
what an great topic! I'm all for some cults reads!

message 7: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Come Closer Come Closer by Sara Gran is also very good.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments Maxine wrote: "I'll nominate Son of the Endless NightSon of the Endless Night by John Farris"

Second! Do we do that here?

message 9: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2801 comments Mod
Origin by JA Konrath

Origin by J.A. Konrath

message 10: by Myst (new)

Myst | 397 comments Kiss Me or Die by Scott Nicholson also found in Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 1 (Boxed Set) by Scott Nicholson

message 11: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments I also love reading stories about cults, but I have a hard time finding them. Also the statement "Satan is awesome" made me cringe for sec...I knew what you meant but I had to take a pause, Haha.
I've had this on my TBR for awhile, does it fit the theme?
That Which Should Not Be That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments haha ya, I'm just saying - when it comes to my horror... and my heavy metal... the more Satanic the better :-)

message 13: by K.N. (new)

K.N. (karmaplace) | 53 comments If the theme is Satan, I must recommend Horns Horns by Joe Hill (assuming it hasn't been a group read yet; if it has, my apologies).

message 14: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2015 09:40AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5686 comments Mod
EXORCIST ROAD, Jonathan Janz
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 15: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments Ok, what about this? It's been on my radar for a while now

The Sentinel

message 16: by Shan (new)

Shan (shananigans13) | 20 comments The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories by mark twain ,
Damned by Chuck Palahniuk
Or Rosemarys baby

message 17: by Shan (new)

Shan (shananigans13) | 20 comments The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories by mark twain ,
Damned by Chuck Palahniuk
Or Rosemarys baby

message 18: by Janie (new)

Janie C. | 2868 comments Kimberly wrote: "EXORCIST ROAD, Jonathan Janz
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

I'll second that!

message 19: by Madison (new)

Madison Kinsella | 5 comments I would like to nominate The Showman And The Shade by Nicky P Gardiner. Plenty of possession, bound spirits and con-man spiritualists...
The Showman And The Shade by Nicky P. Gardiner

message 20: by Latasha (new)

I can wait to see what makes it to the poll. These are great suggestions. I have no idea what to suggest but I hope to participate. Hopefully I can finish Dead Sea by then!

message 21: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I'll second (or third or fourth) Rosemary's Baby, since I've never read it and it's considered a classic.

message 22: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Deal | 24 comments May I reccomend, Darkness Tell us, by Richard Laymon.

message 23: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) Rosemary's Baby would be a great selection for this topic.

I also recommend The Association by Bentley Little

message 24: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments Exorcist is easily in my Top 3 for the year. Great suggestion.

message 25: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I'll chuck a classic "deal with the Devil" book into the mix..... Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Jon Recluse wrote: "I'll chuck a classic "deal with the Devil" book into the mix.....Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin"

ohh! I haven't read this one.

message 27: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Carey (janeefficiency) How about How to Make Friends with Demons, by Graham Joyce? I've had this on my shelf for a while - bought because of the fun title.

message 28: by Dean (last edited Aug 25, 2015 05:57PM) (new)

Dean | 27 comments I would like to nominate Judgement Day by Andrew Neiderman by Andrew Niederman; which is the prequel to " The Devil's Advocate"; which was made into a feature film starring Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino and Charlize Theron.

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2015 06:22PM) (new)

Lisa | 65 comments The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper

The Demonologist

message 30: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Carey (janeefficiency) Ah yes! I second The Demonologist.

message 31: by Brendan (last edited Aug 25, 2015 07:26PM) (new)

Brendan Ford (fakeford) | 2 comments A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

message 32: by Justice (new)

Justice  (HavenTierra) Oh can we do Pines? I wanted to read it next but honestly, I'm good with any horror you guys decide to pick.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

The Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby, if these titles haven't been done before.

message 34: by Alex (new)

Alex | 32 comments OMG so many to nominate!! This is my favorite subgenre :D let's see: Shadows of the Dark by John Zaffis, Nightmare House by Douglas Clegg, In a Dark Place by Ray Garton, Manchester House by Kirch, Son of the Endless Night by Farris, The Devil in Connecticut by Brittle, or my number one pick: The Uninvited by Steven LaChance. Check these out, ya'll!! They all look SUPER good! ^_^

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 58 comments Ooh awesome topic! I've been off horror for a bit, but I'm totally up for this one!

message 36: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5686 comments Mod
Alex wrote: "OMG so many to nominate!! This is my favorite subgenre :D let's see: Shadows of the Dark by John Zaffis, Nightmare House by Douglas Clegg, In a Dark Place by Ray Garton, Manchester House by Kirch, ..."

I haven't read Nightmare House (Douglas Clegg) in years! I'll second that one.

message 37: by Walker (new)

Walker | 8 comments BreederMy suggestion is Douglas Clegg's second novel, Breeder. It's drawn comparisons to Rosemary's Baby, and that's being brought up. So I thought I'd throw this in as a lesser-known alternative.

message 38: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (moviegirlfreak88) | 10 comments The Ritual by Adam Nevill was one of the creepiest books I have ever read!! I would read it again!!

message 39: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments Lots of great suggestions for Group Read so far. I will leave the thread open for suggestions until the morning. Poll will be up shortly after I close the thread.

message 40: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments Thread is closed.

message 42: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2761 comments Mod
Yay thanks Scott!

message 43: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments You bet, Kasia!!

message 44: by Scot (new)

Scot | 634 comments 12 hours to vote remaining. Though it appears there are some clear leaders, as in the past, the title with the second most votes will be our second group read.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Dean wrote: "I would like to nominate Judgement Day by Andrew Neiderman by Andrew Niederman; which is the prequel to " The Devil's Advocate"; which was made into a feature film starring Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino..."

I was going to read that real soon myself. It wasn't on the poll since not enough votes, but perhaps a buddy read?