The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > The Island Game

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Feb 21, 2008 04:57PM) (new)

Kristen (abqnorby6) On The Office, Jim prompts his colleagues to the island game. This game asks if you were on a deserted island which 5 books would you want with you?

message 2: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 21, 2008 09:01PM) (new)

Tiffany
The Bible
Wuthering Heights
Rebecca
Gone With the Wind
The Hours

I had to edit because I couldn't believe I forgot Gone With the Wind!! You're right Alison, 5 is so not enough. lol

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Feb 21, 2008 09:01PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The Bible
East of Eden
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Anne of Green Gables
Can I have all the Harry Potters in a complete volume? Because I can't choose between them and I'd need some pure brevity and entertainment.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Feb 21, 2008 06:14PM) (new)

Meghan 1. Little Women (because the characters are like my friends and it's my favorite book)
2. Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook (because it teaches you how to build a fire)
3. Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel (because it seems like it would have more handy information on living outside my urban jungle)
4. In Search of Lost Time (because it's so ginormously long and then I'd be able to say I've read Proust when I was done)
5. The Encyclopedia Brittanica (Because I'd have time to read it all and I might find some useful information)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) ooh... the Worst-Case Scenario handbook is a great idea.

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Five is SO not enough...

1. The Bible
2. The Complete Works of Jane Austen (cheating, I know)
3. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
4. Gone With The Wind OR Wuthering Heights...can't decide
5. The Chronicles of Narnia

Great question!

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Tao Te Ching, The Republic, Don Quixote, The Divine Comedy, & The Count of Monte Cristo.

runners-up: Hitchhiker's Guide, The Selfish Gene, Phenomenology of the Spirit

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera Five it is...

The Bible, The Alchemist, East of Eden, Peter the Great, War and Peace

Interesting list for me, because only two in my top five favorites, and I haven't read the last one, but figured that there would be plenty of time to read that tome.

message 10: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh and I think "complete works" is totally legit choice as a lot of them can come in technically one "book". I mean it's not like the book police are going to be stopping by your island any time soon. heh

message 11: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Feb 22, 2008 05:06PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
I think I'd be pretty adamant on my first choice. It'd have to be a book on how to build and navigate a seaworthy vessel from anything.

My second would be the complete navigational charts of the world (including shipping lanes, star charts for navigating, etc.).

Then maybe something on how to find/hunt and then store foods for long periods of time in moist areas without salt, refrigeration, or ziplocks. Heh.

Fourth would be a book on flora and fauna and how to recognize what is poisonous and what is safe and healthy to eat.

Lastly, something like Les Miserables because I've not yet read it and it will take sometime to complete, so will keep me entertained during my journey.

I know quite a lot of survival skills or I might have added some of those to the list.

message 12: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Was that just way too practical?

It's just like when that question comes up about if you could bring one thing with you to a deserted island, what would it be? My answer is always an airplane with a full fuel tank and a hot pilot inside. (He needs to be hot so that I can fully enjoy our time while we clear a runway! Hee!)

message 13: by Joey (new)

Joey | 26 comments 1. The Complete Works of Jane Austen
2. The Tao of Inner Peace - Diane Dreher
3. I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
4. Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town - Stephen Leacock
5. I have a really great book of short stories, but I can't remember the title just now...

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments I think I would like to be trapped on a desert island with Michele. Then I could laze about in the sun reading my books and she could build a ship and sail us away when the books ran out.

Hmmm. . . this is an interesting idea. If you were trapped on an island, would you take things with you to make it more like home or take things to help you get out. Assuming that sailing out would be very difficult and fraught with danger.

I am kind of in the middle. I am tempted to say that I would just try to make the island home and read my books, but I am so neurotic and bossy, I fear I would probably colonize a pack of island rats and make them build me a ship.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 2 comments 1- The Book of Mormon
2- Jane Eyre
3- Twilight
4- Eclipse
5- a cookbook on how to prepare sea food!

message 16: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments That was great Courtney!

message 17: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

haha, Courtney. You made me laugh. It never occurred to me to try to LEAVE said island. I was thinking more of all of the reading I could get done. But if I had to pick one person to be with me...it would be Michelle and all of her survival tips. Or Matthew Fox.

message 18: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Well, does *deserted* imply once inhabited? If so, theoretically, one could hope to find some basic supplies available, especially if it's like a deserted Club Med island or something!

Even without essential survival skills, one could reasonably expect a fair amount of reading time, barring sudden death by some sort of trauma or venom.

1)As much as I would like to say I'd take the Bible, truthfully, I think the Psalms would probably do it for me. Although, I guess I could still take the whole thing.

2)I'll follow the lead of many of you and say the Complete Works of Jane Austen. It would mostly be new to me, and I'll have uninterrupted reading time.

3) The one-volume Harry Potter years 1-7 that Sarah has.

4) A Prayer for Owen Meany

5) A Blank Book with lots and lots of pages for writing diary entries or other notes. Hopefully, I'd have enough ink or other writing utensils.

message 19: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

The thing is, I'd have to say if "Sawyer" from LOST were deserted on that island with me, I just choose five books to enjoy and stay forever. Hee-hee!!! Maybe I'd make one a sexy novel even, since he likes to read, too!

message 20: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Good point...there are lots of book references on Lost. I'm trying to remember the one Sawyer's reading in Season 1? Watership Down?

A Prayer For Owen Meany seems to have made a lot of top fives! I'll have to check that one out.

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, here's a little survival tip for you islanders...if you need a blood transfusion and don't have a Red Cross nearby, you can use coconut juice as a replacement for plasma. I'm not exactly sure on how it works but it has the same properties I guess and can work in extreme emergencies.

Alison - Get thee to a book purveyor and read A Prayer For Owen Meany. It never makes my top 5, but it probably one of the best books I've ever read. I've never met anyone who hasn't loved it. Just don't go rent "Simon Birch"...it's a movie "loosely" based on the book and is pretty terrible.

message 22: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Courtney - LOL! I hope one of your rats turn out to be the chef from Ratatouille!

message 23: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Feb 23, 2008 08:10PM) (new)

O.K. Meghan, will do! (As a nurse), not sure how that coconut juice transfusion would work. But thanks for the tip. :)

message 24: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Owen Meany is definitely Irving's best work in my opinion. Very funny stuff. and yeah I was going to say the same thing about the movie until I saw that Meghan had already put out the warning against it.

I think it was indeed Watership Down, Alison. There's a GR group here that's putting together a LOST books bookshelf. That's another show with some great literary references. I read The Third Policeman based on it's placement in LOST and wasn't disappointed. Strange, but fascinating read. Though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

That coconut IV thing is featured in my favorite Jackie Chan movie, Who Am I?, incidentally.

message 25: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Why wouldn't you recommend it to everybody, Heather?

I saw Simon Birch... I liked it. But then, I haven't read the book in question.

I was laughing trying to imagine how on earth one would get the coconut "juice," as Meghan called it, into the vein if you were actually deserted on an island. WWJCD? (What Would Jackie Chan Do?)

message 26: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Michele--I was wondering the same thing about the coconut juice.

I never saw Simon Birch. It might be a good movie, but one that bears little resemblance to the book I would guess, based on the fact that they didn't (weren't allowed to?) use the same name and the Owen Meany equivalent

****SPOILER ALERT****

wouldn't have been admitted to the army, which was a major part of the plot.

message 27: by Sera (new)

Sera Looks like I'm in the minority here. I hated A Prayer for Owen Meany. I don't like Irving, I found Owen to be not funny and annoying, and I felt like the book would never end. I know that many people love that book, but I just couldn't get into it. Those of you who haven't read it, should definitely do so, because you will probably like it.

I would love to stay on a deserted island with Sawyer (and Sayid, too). Yes, I would be very happy being queen of that island.

message 28: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Heather! I completely forgot about that movie. Yeah, that was a good one. Isn't that the one where he scales down the side of a glass building?

But just so you don't think I'm completely nutzo, this was used during WWII when blood supplies were low.

Michele - perhaps you can McGyver a syringe out of some bamboo and fishbones?! heh

Sera - Ironically I disliked intensely Owen as well. He was annoying beyond belief. Little know-it-all. heh

message 29: by Joey (new)

Joey | 26 comments Sera you are not alone! I thought it would never end too. I preferred "The World According to Garp".

message 30: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Yeah, Meghan, that's the one. It was the tallest building in the world at the time I think.

Michele, the book is just really surreal and confusing and takes a lot of patience and effort to get through. But I thought it was worth it in the end. Parts of it are really funny too.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) There are a lot of people here on Good Reads who hate A Prayer For Owen Meany, but it's one of my favorites.

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments 1. Les Miserables (abridge version - Indonesian Edition)
If I want a "quick" read, this is definitely the best choice.
2. Les Miserables (unabridged version - English Edition)
Finally, I get the opportunity to conclude the "never finished" Waterloo and Sewer section (the nerve-racking "Intestine of the Leviathan”) and I promised myself this time I will unquestionably read those sections thoroughly!
3. Les Miserables (abridged/unabridged version - French Edition)
I'm always curious about this book in its original version. Since I assumed that I will be left high and dry in this island for the rest of my life, and it occurred to me that this is the right time to learn something new. Yeah, learning French (at this point) definitely is a brilliant choice.
4. French-English-Indonesian Dictionary.
The necessity of this book is utterly inevitable! My French are merely as far as 'Bonjour' 'Au revoir' 'Bon Apetite' and 'L'amour est un oiseau rebelle Que nul ne peut apprivoiser' (from Habanera)
5. Pablo Neruda's Poem Collection or I should said "the complete works" of Pablo Neruda ;)

Deserted like the wharves at dawn.
It is the hour of departure, oh deserted one!
This was my destiny and in it was my voyage of my longing,
and in it my longing fell, in you everything sank!
Oh farther than everything. Oh farther than everything.
It is the hour of departure. Oh abandoned one!

Yeah, story of my life. Destined to be miserable, deserted, abandoned, remote and sinking!
And in my complimentary time besides climbing a coconut tree, banging a coconut into the rocks, I will go swimming and pay a visit to the nearby island to meet up another person who shares the same fate with me (stranded alone in an island). We can swap our books (Les Miserables, anyone?) and perhaps we can discuss and compare our books or even made a book club! Inter-Island Rory Gilmore Book Club would be a nice name :)

OMG! I’m a NERD!

NB: For those who have "the complete works" of somebody are without a doubt on top of my visit list.
"The complete works" sounds deceptively witty... :))

message 33: by Guaranimal (new)

Guaranimal | 1 comments Hi. I'm new to this group....glad to find it.
My books would be:
1. Collected Poems 1947-1980 - Ginsberg
2. Leaves of Grass - Whitman
3. Complete Works - Shakespeare
4. Walden and Civil Disobedience - Thoreau
5. Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Rinpoche
It's tough to pare it down to five though:).

message 34: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

OOOOOO! Yes, Sera, Sayid, too!! Yummy-yummy-yum-yum! Hee!

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments Yay, Ashley ;)

message 36: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus hmmm... ok i'm not quite so practical as Michele.

I would say

- The Bible

- The Complete Works of Charles M. Schulz (this is easily over 30 volumes--can we count that as one "book"?)

- The Count of Monte Cristo

- The Club Dumas

- The Complete Annotated Sherlock Holmes

That should keep me busy.
;)

message 37: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Mar 15, 2008 12:00AM) (new)

Courtney, I'd be delighted to be on the island with you! I think we'd laugh a lot! If you were around I'd take my time building said ship... but if I had someone with me, I'd take a bit more time about it. At least until I couldn't stand to eat another coconut or banana or whatever tropical fruit was in abundance.

I'm just too social to have the patience to go it alone once the books ran out... thus my practical selections. If it were a LOST scenario, I'd be just fine because I could hang with people still. Though I'd miss the exploring part of my life - exploring cultures and peoples and, yes, places. (Because you can only explore so much on an island before it gets repetitive!)

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 20, 2008 11:19PM) (new)

The only one I want is Sayid! Haha! And when I'm done reading my books I can learn his language just for fun. My books:

1. Book of Mormon
2. Eclipse
3. Pride and Prejudice
4. Something Nicholas Sparks...because, heck! Sayid is with me! ;)
5. A never ending journal and pen

message 39: by Ryara (new)

Ryara Toft 1. A Besty-Tacy huge book (all put 2gether)2. The World of Pooh
3. The Full Cipher Manga!
4. A Series of My own: This Earth owns this love (plus all the others! excerpts available soon!)
5. An infinite-paged journal! (for more of my own writings/drawings.

Okay, so I cheated, but EVERYONE KNOWS THAT 5 IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!