Hermetic Library discussion

General Discussion > General Discussion folder for general discussions and open threads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Mar 08, 2014 01:51PM) (new)

John (jgbell) | 9 comments Mod
Greetings everyone!

Clearly I've let the idea of a Hermetic Library Book Club go dormant. Apologies! Perhaps there will be a future revival some sunny day … maybe a future Goal to consider adding to the Patreon campaign for the Hermetic Library?

In the meanwhile, I thought I'd create this "General Discussion" folder for general discussions and open threads on topics of interest that are an intersection between reading new and old books which are, generally, within the scope of the subject matter at the Hermetic Library (including a living Western Esoteric Tradition, Hermeticism in a broad sense, and Aleister Crowley's Thelema) beyond those related to any specific book club selections.

What are you reading these days? Posted any new reviews to your blog or website? Heard about any new books coming out that pique your interest? Are there book release parties or book conferences in your area happening, or that you've attended? What books currently define the shapely contours of your "scholar's mistress"?

Thanks!

message 2: by Keith (new)

Keith (kgf0) | 2 comments I'm presently in the midst of reading one letter a day in Magick Without Tears, which (with the Hyatt Epilog, conveniently comes to 93 days. I'm also taking the time on this pass, since it's a leisurely pace, to compare Regardie's edits to the longer (original?) versions on hermetic.com which is proving more interesting than I'd expected.

message 3: by John (new)

I once helped organize a rune study group based on Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic, which was over the course of a paired set of runes each week, then at the end of that a friend gave me some basic cookies with the runes inscribed on the surface, which I consumed one per day. I found participating in ritual and contemplative sequences like that to be quite interesting, and found that my experience of each week and subsequently each day were coloured by what I was studying.

On the main index at the Hermetic Library for Magick Without Tears there is a note which states, in part, that the version there is taken "from the 1954 first edition, with a foreword by the original editor Karl J. Germer. The current (New Falcon) paper edition of this work was substantially abridged by editor F.I. Regardie. Omissions by Germer from the original letters have not been restored." So, you are likely to find things there not included in the Regardie version, but also you will not find things which were removed even earlier by Germer. In other words, the original letters, prior to Germer's edits for the book, would include even more than is included at the library site.

What is said and not said between edits seems to be both very interesting. That's one of the reasons I enjoy comparing the different version of the Gnostic Mass that are available, the 3 officially available for celebration, because of the changes and differences.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith (kgf0) | 2 comments BTW John, in doing my comparison today I noticed an effect which is probably unintentional, and perhaps also unfixable: when clicking on the footnote links, the page repositions such that the grey bar at the top obscures the first few lines of the footnote in question, at least in Firefox. It may be something to do with the page CSS or the positioning of anchor tags. At any rate, it's a petty bug, and scrolling up is a viable workaround. Thanks for keeping the project running, and for cleaning up many of the old typos!

message 5: by John (last edited Mar 13, 2014 02:54PM) (new)

Keith, yeah, that's a pain in the bug alright, and I've got it on my list to either find a fix or fix the info bar to the top instead of having it float. Thanks for mentioning it in case I hadn't noticed, however!