Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > ON HIATUS until after November NaNoWriMo: Gothic Literature (Contemporary or Romantic Period-1800 to 1850- styled), Horror, Science Fiction/Fantasy, YA or Adult

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Rene (last edited Oct 01, 2015 10:07PM) (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments I am a full-time manager at my local library. I am also a writer. I would love to Beta Read for anyone writing Gothic Literature (Contemporary or Romantic Period -yes 1800 to 1850- styled), Horror, Science Fiction/Fantasy, YA or Adult.

Bring me your weird and haunted.

I am mostly interested in unfinished work (who doesn't need a little helping hand once in a while?) It may take me a while to get through longer pieces, so as long as you are willing to wait a bit, I am willing to read.

Please message me here if you are looking for anyone fitting the above criteria.

message 2: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Lisa Rene,
Im writing an Urban fantasy so let me know if your interested.
Being told you’re a halfblooded witch isn’t something you expect to learn on you sixteenth birthday, but it was for Ivy ..."

Hey Ashley,

PM me for my inbox and I'll have a look at it. It might take me a few days to read through more than two Chapters at a time, but send me the parts that you feel set up your characters the best and I can look at the plot and character set up and we can go from there.

message 3: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments Monique wrote: "Hi Lisa,
I have one book that needs one more edit (Hopefully)before I self publish. It is YA fantasy with 67k words. Katrina has a crush on the local blacksmith. He uses it to steal 3 elixirs, chan..."

Hi Monique,

For your longer book, what kind of things would you like edited?
For the shorter one, I definitely like the intrigue. It might take me a few days to work through it. PM me and we can discuss both.

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Troske | 55 comments Lisa,
My completed novel, Supernaturals - The Rising, a YA piece with some light sci-fi, could use some extra eyes. If you like Percy Jackson, X-men, or superheroes of any kind and works of similar nature/style, I believe you'll enjoy this book.

Here's a quick summary...

Ethan is just an ordinary teenage boy—infatuated with sports music and, of course, girls. Or so he thinks. Heading home on a rainy night from an amateur guitar gig, he finds his life turned completely upside down—literally. His car spins and flips out of control after what he believes to be a small animal jumps out in front of him. The horrific accident is only the beginning of a series of mysterious and seemingly unrelated events that will change his life forever.

After awaking in the hospital, and following an encounter with an enigmatic doctor, Ethan discovers that something that occurred during the wreck allows him to hear others' thoughts, and even more perplexing, move objects with his mind. While trying to wrap his head around this mystery, he realizes he’s not the only one, that there are others out there like him; those with special powers. Not long after learning of this new world, Ethan’s ever increasing lack of control places those around him at serious risk. In order to protect those he loves, he makes the difficult decision to leave and join with a group of other so called Supernaturals to learn how to master his abilities. Shortly after he is recruited, Ethan is sent on a mission to kidnap who he believes to be the enemy leader in a well concealed Supernaturals war. But the further he becomes embedded in this new world, the more he discovers things are not quite what they seem and doesn't know who can be trusted.

In this first installment of the Supernaturals series, Ethan discovers that super powers aren’t always so super, and is faced with difficult decisions that will not only affect his own life, but which may determine the life or death of his newfound companions and mentor.

Let me know if you'd be interested.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Bedford (erin_bedford) | 4 comments Hello, I am about half way done with my manuscript for my fantasy/supernatural novel Chasing Rabbits. I have the first four chapters ready for review. All feedback is welcome!

Here is the synopsis:

Kat was only a librarian. She wasn’t brave or daring. She shouldn’t have chased after that rabbit that night. She shouldn’t have stuck her hand in that hole. She shouldn’t have done a lot of things.
Now Kat was stuck in the Underground with only her wayward rabbit and a grumpy brownie for her guides. While facing blood thirsty tea parties and seductive smiling cats were one thing, the wrath of the UnSeelie Court’s prince was another. This librarian would face the challenges of the Fae Courts and go home or die trying.

message 6: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments Aimee wrote: "Hi Lisa,

I'm looking for a beta reader for a contemporary romance. I'm starting an editing process and after writing 275,000 words (don't even ask lol) I'm paring it down chapter by chapter and p..."

Aimee wrote: "Hi Lisa,

I'm looking for a beta reader for a contemporary romance. I'm starting an editing process and after writing 275,000 words (don't even ask lol) I'm paring it down chapter by chapter and p..."

Aimee wrote: "Hi Lisa,

Hello, I am very sorry to take so long to get back to you. September has been hell. I do not think I would be much help for you in the realm of romance writing. It is definitely not my forte. However, I may have someone that might be interested and able to help you out!

message 7: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments Ryan wrote: "Lisa,
My completed novel, Supernaturals - The Rising, a YA piece with some light sci-fi, could use some extra eyes. If you like Percy Jackson, X-men, or superheroes of any kind and works of s..."

Hello, I am sorry to take so long getting back to you. September has been... trouble. If you are still interested in my services, I would be interested in reading what you have. Please let me know what the word count is currently.

message 8: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments Erin wrote: "Hello, I am about half way done with my manuscript for my fantasy/supernatural novel Chasing Rabbits. I have the first four chapters ready for review. All feedback is welcome!

Here is the synopsis..."

Hello, I am sorry to get back to you so late, Erin. September is... complex. If you are still looking for a beta reader, please PM me and we can get set up.

message 9: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments Aimee wrote: "Hi Lisa,

Erin wrote: "Hello, I am about half way done with my manuscript for my fantasy/supernatural novel Chasing Rabbits. I have the first four chapters ready for review. All feedback is welcome!

Here is the synopsis..."

Hello, I am very sorry to take so long to get back to you. September has been hell. I do not think I would be much help for you in the realm of romance writing. It is definitely not my forte. However, I may have someone that might be interested and able to help you out! PM me if you still need someone.

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Troske | 55 comments Lisa, it's currently just over 130,000 words

message 11: by Trey (new)

Trey Gabb | 12 comments Hello Lisa!

My 106k completed novel is called The Penumbra Pendant, and it is a healthy blend of sci-fi and fantasy with a dash of steampunk. Here is a summary:

When Luca Solbright gets a mysterious golden pendant for his birthday, he doesn’t count on it costing him a bounty for murder on his head.

Luca fears that his newfound telepathy and telekinesis may have somehow caused a good deal of death and destruction throughout his hometown, putting both him and his family in the crosshairs of the Commonwealth Inquisition.

Now on the run, Luca must save his family from a lengthy “interrogation,” but he can’t do it alone. Unlikely allies come from notorious sky-pirates and a secret academy filled with people who have powers just like him. Luca is faced with having to learn how to use his own psychic powers even if they got him into this mess in the first place.

He finds he may not know himself as well as he thought he did—and even as the horrible truth may terrify him, it may also be the only thing he has that will not only help him save his family, but also all of Israith. For what has the power to destroy, also has the power to preserve life...

Please let me know if you think you might be interested!

message 12: by G.M. (new)

G.M. Nair (gmnair) | 10 comments Hi Lisa,

I have a completed novella around ~32k words that I would love another set of eyes on.

In short it is a Sci-Fi/Comedy Novella featuring two twenty-something goofballs who fall into the high-stakes world of Private Investigation, but find that they are in completely over their heads when they investigate an actual murder.

Things are further complicated when they find out the link between the murder and their second case, that of a cheating fiance, can be explained by a rip in time and space that could tear the universe apart.

Please let me know if you're interested!

message 13: by Lisa Rene (new)

Lisa Rene (amarathineeyes) | 9 comments I apologize, but I will not be taking on more new projects until after NaNoWriMo is finished at the end of November.

I will be using the rest of October to finish up the projects I have already accepted and focus on preparation for my own. Wish me luck!