YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Caddie Woodlawn (Caddie Woodlawn, #1)
This topic is about Caddie Woodlawn
BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink->Starting September 10th 2015

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Caddie Woodlawn is a real adventurer. She'd rather hunt than sew and plow than bake, and tries to beat her brother's dares every chance she gets. Caddie is friends with Indians, who scare most of the neighbors -- neighbors who, like her mother and sisters, don't understand her at all.

Caddie is brave, and her story is special because it's based on the life and memories of Carol Ryrie Brink's grandmother, the real Caddie Woodlawn. Her spirit and sense of fun have made this book a classic that readers have taken to their hearts for more than seventy years.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds great. I've wanted to read it for years, but never got around to it. lol.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments I read it a long time ago, but have been wanting to read it again. It's been years. Many years. :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 8
(view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 12
(view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Through chapter 19
(view spoiler)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll start this in a few hours. :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments I started a bit early, but I'm excited to discuss it with you!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Just finished. I was surprised I remembered so much, it's been years.

(view spoiler)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm having a hard time getting interested in it. :(

But I'm on page 34. Uncle Edmund is hilarious.

message 11: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments He really is. I hope you like it more as you go. It's definitely a different style to most of the books published now.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Page 48--I'm starting to enjoy this book. :)

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Yay! I just love Caddie's adventures. And her brothers. I always wanted brothers to do crazy things with.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Page 80; that last part was kind of racist, but I can understand that it was the commonly-held belief in that time period...so I'm not sure if it bothers me or not!

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Which part? Some the stuff about the Native Americans can be kind of iffy, but I don't think it's meant in a racist way.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Courtney wrote: "Which part? Some the stuff about the Native Americans can be kind of iffy, but I don't think it's meant in a racist way."

It was those parts. :) I agree with you; it was just the culture of the 18060's.

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Yeah. Even though the Woodlawn's weren't really racist, some of their ideas and stuff were still a bit questionable...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished! I didn't have much to say in my review. I'm glad (view spoiler). :)

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 3719 comments Yeah, that was kind of nice. :)