Movies We've Just Watched discussion

DVD "Bonus Features" fans

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat | 24 comments Are you addicted to watching the bonus features and/or commentary tracks on DVDs like I am? Interested to know which ones you think are the best/worst/most informative/most waste of time, etc.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments I generally think that most so-called "bonus features" are a waste of time. I'll watch the deleted scenes, and occasionally there will be a background documentary of interest, but the various commentary tracks tend to be the height of tedium. "The Onion" has a regular feature called "Commentary Tracks of the Damned" which gives a pretty good idea of why these are usually best ignored.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I love the bonus features with the Seinfeld dvds, they do interviews, bloopers, commentary, etc, it's great!!!

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat | 24 comments Thanks for the input and the reference to the feature in "The Onion"; I'll have to check it out. There certainly are tedious and boring commentary tracks; but I have found many to include insight into how the scene was constructed and why, difficulties faced in filming and how they were overcome, etc. For me, it's another layer to my enjoyment. And if the work is based upon an actual person or event, I do like to see documentaries that reveal the "real story" and show the persons portrayed.

message 5: by Alexandra (last edited Feb 22, 2008 05:53AM) (new)

Alexandra I like them. But I've noticed on some commentaries the director merely goes through the technique of film-making, explaining lighting, shots, etc. I find those types of commentaries boring and not really what I'm interested in. Unless they're explaining what was CGI vs. real, use of models/special effects - that's more interesting. I enjoy those that explain more about the story, motivations, decisions in development of plot, information on the actors in the scene - how they were motivated, different ways they played the scene, etc.

message 6: by Pat (new)

Pat | 24 comments The special effects comments are some of my favorites as well. They were particularly interesting on the James Bond boxsets. I had surgery last year and was in bed for weeks; so I was able to take advantage of the myriad commentaries, documentaries, etc. that this series provided. Most of the Bond film stunts were in deed stunts, and not results of CGI; so you could really appreciate the effort behind the scenes. Sean Connery didn't do any commentaries, but Roger Moore's were light, entertaining and chatty. The soundstage originally built for Bond films are still being used today.

Even the Warner Bros. Looney Tune cartoons Boxsets have commentaries and they are giving me a new level of appreciation for these classic animated shorts, as well.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Criterion Collection DVDs tend to have excellent special features, but, yes, I'm with Robert in that I don't usually watch them.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat | 24 comments You're correct about the Criterion collections. I used to manage the music/movie department of a major bookstore and there was definitely a hardcore group of customers interested in them.

message 9: by Pat (new)

Pat | 24 comments I'd also highly recommend the Twilight Zone boxset. The commentaries are primarily taken from audio interviews with the directors, writers, and/or stars from decades ago. Though some are current ones and rather revealing. One in particular was with Mickey Rooney. Though his performance (a one-man performance) was excellent; he was nasty, irascible, down right uncooperative; made me wonder why he even agreed to do the commentary unless he needed the money? There are several documentaries and bios of Serling and the early days of television writers.

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Jun 07, 2008 08:02PM) (new)

Jackie | 50 comments I enjoy DVD commentaries on series that I LOVE. For instance, I loved the commentaries on "The Wire" because David Simon and Ed Burns gave lots of insights into their "inside" references to Baltimore as well as their experiences as a journalist and detective / teacher respectively. It was also fun to hear the actors' reflections on their characters and interactions outside of such an intense drama. The child actors, in particular, were poignantly thoughtful about the social concerns they inhabited while acting out the 4th Season. Sweet!

Also, I enjoyed the inside details from "The Office" series commentaries. The actor interactions are just fun to hear. It's like being on the couch with people you've come to know through such long-running series.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky | 51 comments I watched the commentary on Brother Bear (I know not the most classic of movies) before I actually watched the movie and it was hilarious It is totally MST2000 only with Bob and Doug McKensie (the moose!) I prefer watching that movie with the commentary now, and I usually don't!

message 12: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 41 comments I hate it when I watch the movie with commentary and there are 3 or 4 people giving commentary...they all crack each other up with inside jokes which they don't explain, then there's 48 minutes where they are so engrossed with watching the movie that no one speaks.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I enjoy the bonus features when they are giving additional info on the subject of their film.Some that come to mind are The Proposition(excellent western with a twist)Suspect 0 and Cinderella Man.I'm generally not interested in the other aspects of the movie such as how it was made ect or the commentary with the movie seems like a waste of time to me and for pretty much the same reasons April gave.

message 14: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (FaithBQuick) | 81 comments I LOVE THE SPECIAL FEATURES! i do! i am a junkie with them! i really like the commentaries when brad pitt comments, he is really funny and he tells you stuff that you want to know. i LOVE the lord of the rings special features. sometimes i just put them on in the background while i clean the house or cook. i know! it is an addiction! BUT....the movie industry is slowly but surely pushing me out of watching special features.dvd's went up about 4 dollars more and now anything with special features is 8 to 12 dollars more than that.
plus like janis stated some of the commentaries are getting boring. i love to hear about the difficulties and technicalites that go into scenes but a lot of the commentaries are starting to go on and on, on how difficult it is to be them and how much technical stuff they have to do to get a shot and then they go on about how great it is to work with so and so.