Catholic Thought discussion

Life of Christ
This topic is about Life of Christ
Life of Christ > Life of Christ Chapter 25 & Chapter 26

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doreen Petersen | 438 comments Chapter 25 Summary: His Hour Had Not Yet Come.
Chapter 26 Summary: The Mightiest Arrow In The Divine Quiver.

Galicius | 439 comments Christ’s enemies in Jerusalem were looking for a Messiah who would liberate them from Rome politically and give them material prosperity. Earlier in Chapter 19 the apostles quarreled over who Christ is and what kind of a kingdom he will establish. They could not accept Christ’s role as king who became servant who would take on the ills of the world. They continued to see a king who would destroy his enemies and rule the world. Here they could not understand how God would humiliate Himself and become man while still remaining God. It was not a case of blasphemy of a man claiming to be a God.

Susan Margaret (susanmargaretg) | 538 comments It truly helps to have Bishop Sheen and other learned Catholics to explain scripture. Often times Catholic commentary has given me an interpretation for things I misunderstood. For example, Bishop Sheen points out that the poor, the enslaved, and the blind mean more than just the obvious. He states that the poor lacked union with God, the blind did not see the light (Jesus), and the enslaved did not have freedom from sin. Sometimes I have the mind of a Pharisee, because without an explanation I would have taken the meaning of Luke 4:18 & 19 literally. The explanations in "The Life of Christ" and the comments made by our Catholic Thought members have given me a lot to think about.

message 4: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Susan Margaret wrote: "It truly helps to have Bishop Sheen and other learned Catholics to explain scripture. Often times Catholic commentary has given me an interpretation for things I misunderstood. For example, Bishop ..."

Your comment encapsulates a main reason to keep Catholic Thought open and alive. The members offer so much to reflect upon.

Doreen Petersen | 438 comments In Chapter 25: His Hour Had Not Yet Come we are reminded of the prophecies in the Old Testament that foretold all this.