Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Blog tours

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (last edited Aug 24, 2015 08:33PM) (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments Hi all. I'm looking for advice.

So, naturally as a new author who published before promoting, I'm finding out that promoting is hard work. And quite often expensive. Money is nonexistent right now, and well, family and work keep the time portion of promoting to a minimum. I've got a Facebook page as my lead soap box, and then Instagram and Goodreads. I'm really hoping not to get swallowed up in the hole of unknown, well-written books.

But I'm feeling that way now after one week out with my book Love Me Back to Life. My friend/family gravy train has run dry, and obviously, that was expected. I'm waiting on more reviews from my last minute distributed ARCs. I've got 5 awesome reviews but no real platform to stand on in terms of readers.

So my questions for you: Are the packages offered by reader blogs worth it? The ones with tours and interviews. Have any of you used them before and seen a sustainable boost in sales? Or is it short-lived? I'll take what I can get. :)

Thank you!

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
I have yet to pay for a blog spot. In all honesty, I have no idea how well those things work. What I can tell you works, is contacting book reviewers that do interviews, and asking for one.
Some sites also do a free author spotlight that costs you $0. So, my advice to you, since you say you have no money (Fist bump for the poor people like me) is to work the book blogging sights.
You can find lots of them here: http://www.tweetyourbooks.com/#!free-...

message 3: by Elle (last edited Aug 24, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments Thank you! And I realize now this posted in its new topic instead of under marketing/promo. So much to still learn.

message 4: by Afshan (new)

Afshan (afshanmalik) | 1 comments Good luck to you!!

message 5: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn  Moreno Burke (joselynraquel) | 41 comments Elle if you want we can do the interview and book spotlight on my blog www.bookwormiespot.com I do that free of charge

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments Afshan wrote: "Good luck to you!!"

Thank you! :)

message 7: by Elle (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments Joselyn wrote: "Elle if you want we can do the interview and book spotlight on my blog www.bookwormiespot.com I do that free of charge"

Awesome! I'll check that out now. =D

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hi Elle. I've never tried to organize one, but I have hosted a few folks on my blog as stops and no, they didn't cost anything. A tour 'company' is basically someone you are paying to schedule your appearance on blogs. Whether or not they are effective has more to do with the blogs you get on themselves. You don't have to pay to organize that. All you would do is as Riley suvgeated and look for sites that might host you.

Right now, in this group alone, there are several threads offering to do reviews and interviews. Try starting with them and see how that works.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tyree Elle - I would also do an author interview/spotlight with you. check out alaynabellesmom.wordpress.com and if you like what you see give me an email at alaynabellesmom@gmail.com

Joselyn - I believe I'll go check you out too! If you (or anyone else that is an author, illustrator, photographer, agent, publisher, cover artist, etc.) would like to interview...let me know!

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments Christina wrote: "Hi Elle. I've never tried to organize one, but I have hosted a few folks on my blog as stops and no, they didn't cost anything. A tour 'company' is basically someone you are paying to schedule your..."

I have requested reviews on Goodreads groups. Out of the 14 books that have gone out, I've received one review back. And every person who said they'd be willing to review, I jumped at. But I requested from a ton more. But I know others are working on it. Waiting has become hard, but whatcha gonna do, right? :)

Thank you, Elizabeth. I'll get in touch with you.

message 11: by Toi (new)

Toi Thomas (toithomas) | 11 comments I know you said you don't really have a platform, but what is your book about. There may be other ways to promote your book simply by putting it in front of the right people, especially if it's genre fiction.

Also, I do interviews on my blog as well. http://etoithomas.com/blog

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I've sent out some request to review blogs, but have only heard back from one so far (a negative, wrong genre for the reviewer). Those people must be absurdly busy, offering their services for free. Gotta be patient.

message 13: by Elle (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments It's an adult contemporary romance. I think romance readers tend to follow blogs, but it'll be a matter of finding the right ones to reach out to. I have some more reviews coming in this weekend hopefully. I keep saying, for book 2, I'll have more of an established platform. We'll see.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 780 comments I've done three blog tours. 2 of which I did over on another group here on GR and one I paid for. My first tour turned out well although the last two not to my expectations. The issue I found with my last two is people agreed to read and review my book only to either never contact me or the blog organizer and the number I was told I would receive in reviews was not what was met.

However that is only my experience and I am still all for blog tours and I'd suggest trying one out and getting involved in one if you can as it is something worth trying at least once. I would also say if you get good results from it and enjoy doing it then by all means make blog tours your bread and butter.

message 15: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I got back two positive responses today, though both said it would be a couple of weeks before my spot in the queue came up. As expected, they're all very busy. Riley's link is very helpful, just find the ones who say they are interested in your genre and "query" away!

message 16: by Elle (new)

Elle Mraz (ellegmraz) | 7 comments Thank you, Riley, for the link. I got a great review from it. I also found a big romance blog and they've been wonderful, walking me through all the promo options authors use and have set up a blog tour for the beginning of October. They also gave me a list of blogs to contact for more reviews. I've sent out some 85 requests and I've had 50 new likes to my page with almost 15 new book purchases. And that's with just getting the word out. So I'm excited to see what will happen with the tour. I'll let you know. :)

message 17: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Happy to help! Now comes the hard part, twiddling your thumbs and trying not to bug them for a review x D