What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Illustrated children's book: Lost doll winds up alone at night

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Looking for a children's book I checked out from the library in the mid-70s. Books was illustrated, and the only things I remember:

o VIVIDLY remember being frightened by an illustration of a doll at night in a park (maybe?). The doll is shown upside down, perhaps at the bottom of a hill. I found the illustration to be VERY scary, when I was little. The doll's hair is a mess and she looked kind of crazy, to me.

o The doll was lost. The doll's girl might have lost her in the park. I half-remember that her brother did something nasty to make the doll go missing (threw it out?), but I might be remembering that incorrectly.

That really is all I remember. Sorry :/

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
The Lost Doll, maybe?

From the Kirkus Review: "this story of Emily whose grandma-made doll is left in the park, carried off by a dog and then an old lady, unrecovered through the Police Department's Lost Property Unit, but finally reunited with her owner through the Transit System's public auction of unclaimed articles."

message 3: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments You know ... that could be it. And I feel stupid, since I'm sure I searched for that title. Ordering a cheap copy to see if that's it!

Thanks for the tip!

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Be sure to come back and let us know if that's the right one or not!

message 5: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Absolutely!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod

This cover is on Abebooks.

There's an inside illustration here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD...

message 7: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Ooo, thank you! I don't think that's it ... but I'll know for sure when the book arrives. (My memory might also just be messing with me.)

message 8: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments The illustration I remember so clearly in my head is not in the book, sadly. (I knew it was probably too good to be true ... been trying to remember this books for decades!)

message 9: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Were the illustrations black and white, realistic, colorful, etc?

Anything about the cover?
Was this a completely illustrated book, or did it have chapters?

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Kieran, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Was it "The Lost Doll"? How bout "Missing Melinda?"

message 12: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Ayshe wrote: "Maybe Missing Melinda?"

I don't think this is it ... but I'm trying to track down a copy to check it out, just in case!

message 13: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Kieran, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Was it "The Lost Doll"? How bout "Missing Melinda?""

It was not "The Lost Doll," unfortunately. I don't think it's "Missing Melinda," but I'm trying to track down a copy to check.

Thank you!

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15777 comments Whose Baby Is That?

Kieran, was this a picture book or a children's novel?

message 15: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Whose Baby Is That?

Kieran, was this a picture book or a children's novel?"

It was a picture book.

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15777 comments Thanks, and have you ruled out Whose Baby Is That?

message 17: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Thanks, and have you ruled out Whose Baby Is That?"

From this page, it doesn't look like it is: http://www.penpalsandpicturebooks.com...

I appreciate y'all's suggestions! Still searching ... :)

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32292 comments Mod
Here's one cover image of Missing Melinda by Jacqueline Jackson - Ayshe's suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Missing-Melind...

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, bright/dark/muted colors/black & white? Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

message 19: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Cannistra | 10 comments Kris wrote: Can you describ..."

Keeping in mind that I was very young when I took the book out of the library, and I'm "not so very young" now, here's what I remember:

The illustrations were line drawings, more realistic than cartoony or cute ... They were simple, and possibly even black and white. My memory is that they were probably similar to Beni Monstresor's illustrations. (I also had the book, "The Princesses," which he illustrated.)

The horror this particular illustration left me with is what I really remember, though ... it's right up there with Struwwelpeter. I felt terrified that she was alone in the dark and exposed.

message 20: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32292 comments Mod
Illustrator mentioned by Kieran - Beni Montresor