Horror Aficionados discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 8,639 (8639 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 172 173

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 13657 comments Mod
Welcome to Horror Aficionados! There are a lot of interesting, nice people here, so come join us and tell us about yourself.
(We started a new thread because our original intro thread had over 15,000 comments.)

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Wheeler (richardtwheeler) | 1 comments Hey there, I'm a thriller/horror writer who's looking for some new books to add to my to read list, as well as some nice in depth discussion on the horror genre.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna  Burgos (optinreading) | 1 comments Hello! I've seen plenty of horror/thriller movies but I've never read any horror/thriller books, which I bet would end up creeping me out a lot more assuming they have great detail! I joined to hopefully get some recommendations and view everyone's opinions on certain books!

message 4: by Char (new)

Hello and welcome to HA, Richard and Brianna! There's something here for every type of horror book lover. :)

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Richard!

Welcome, Brianna!

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6740 comments Welcome Richard and Brianna

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Welcome, Richard and Brianna!

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Law (evilclaw) | 5 comments Hello all! I'm another aspiring horror writer and I'm trying to be a little more active on Goodreads in general - I've had a profile here for ages but I keep forgetting to do anything much with it. I'm hoping joining some groups might get me to do that, as well as lead me to stories that might pass me by otherwise.

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Christopher!

message 10: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Christopher!

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil Bryden I'm here for recommendations the same as Brianna.

I don't normally read fiction but I do enjoy a good chilling horror film, hopefully someone can recommend a good read that will give me goosebumps.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 2 comments Hi all :)
I'm here for recommendations and just to hear peoples' opinions.

I'm about to start my Masters in Music, I play viola.

Currently, my favourite author HAS to be the one and only James Herbert.

Currently reading: Karen Rose - I can see you.

Have a great day, all!

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Phil, Eileen & Alice! You will not have a problem getting some good rec's around here.

message 14: by Char (new)

Hello and welcome to HA!

We have several threads going with great horror recommendations-everything from creature features, like Herbert's The Rats, to literary horror, like Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, bizzaro, splatterpunk and everything in between!

message 15: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Phil, Eileen and Alice!

message 16: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 2 comments Going to have a browse for some recommendations now :) Thanks all :)

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6740 comments Welcome all new members!

message 18: by Char (new)

From Wiki: "Splatterpunk was a movement within horror fiction in the 1980s, distinguished by its graphic, often gory, depiction of violence and "hyperintensive horror with no limits." The term was coined in 1986 by David J. Schow at the Twelfth World Fantasy Convention in Providence, Rhode Island."

message 19: by AyyyDaria (new)

AyyyDaria _Reads (ayyydaria_reads) Hello, new to the groups, actually the only group I have joined so far. I love reading horror novels and cant wait to see what recommend I can get from this group.

message 20: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Dauria!

message 21: by Moira (new)

Moira (moirad) | 1 comments Hello, everyone! I'm Moira- it's nice to meet you all. I've never used this site before and, like Dauria up there, this is the only group I've joined as of right now. I hope we can all get along well :D

message 22: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Moira!

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Welcome to all the new folks! Good idea starting a fresh thread! :-)

message 24: by J.Q. (new)

J.Q. Davis (jqdavis) Hiya! My name is JoAnna, but most people call me Jo. I love anything horror. The more blood the better! I am the author of Turning Grace and Escaping Grace, books about a teenage zombie hybrid.
It's so nice to meet you all and look forward to future discussions :)

message 25: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Dauria, Moira and Jo!

message 26: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Jo!

message 27: by Susan (last edited Aug 28, 2015 02:51AM) (new)

Susan May (susanmaywriter) Hi, my name's Susan May and I read The Exorcist when I was twelve, twice, so I was a creepy kid! Now I write creepy dark thrillers. I've been around Good Reads for years filing books and then adding my books, but I could never work out these groups or how you make friends here. Now I've worked it out, I realise what an awesome place Good Reads is. Nice to meet you all and thanks for having me.

Oh, and as a p.s. I'm a film critic, so I see about 200 films on screen a year. Yes, it's a great gig, but sadly there isn't many horror films. They don't do well in Australia.

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan May (susanmaywriter) Maxie wrote: "Hi Susan! I'm new to goodreads and to this group. I loved the movie The Exorcist. Missed out on the book. Harvest Home was the scary book that got me hooked.

I was into horror in my teens, too. St..."

Thanks Maxie. So great to meet you. I'm getting it worked out. I remember reading Stephen King's Salem's Lot when I was 18 and being too terrified to get out of bed. When I studied creative writing the lecturer hated what I wrote. I was supposed to write literature, but you can only go where your mind takes you and mine travels to dark places. They're the best fun.

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6740 comments Welcome Susan

message 30: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome Maxie and Susan!

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome Maxie and Susan!

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina Hi I'm Tina. I like all genre except romance. I like paranormal, but grew up a bit with horror from my parents. So It does not make me pale. And I hope to catch all the new ones.
I also like paranormal and steampunk.
I am 48, married, no kids. Love to read when not working as a deli cook. Have had other appts lately so haven't been able to read as much. Darn it. Glad to meet you all friendly ppl!!

message 33: by Nox (new)

Nox Veneno Hey there!

I'll read basically anything, except romance, chic lit, bibles and cookbooks. The most recent horror I read was The Strain, and at the moment I'm halfway through Red Dragon.

Nice to meet you all! :)

message 34: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Tina and Nox!

message 35: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Freese | 1 comments Anybody read house of leaves yet? I'm waiting for my copy and interested in what people think of it.

message 36: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jacob wrote: "Anybody read house of leaves yet? I'm waiting for my copy and interested in what people think of it."

I have and I really enjoyed it.

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Tina!

Welcome, Nox!

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brocious Hello! I'm Sarah! Fairly new to the Horror Genre...reading wise...I have always been a fan of Horror movies.

Can't wait to look around!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brocious Jacob wrote: "Anybody read house of leaves yet? I'm waiting for my copy and interested in what people think of it."

Loved it!!

Super creepy!

message 40: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 155 comments Hi Sarah, welcome!

message 41: by Jon Recluse (new)

Welcome, Sarah!

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brocious Thanks, Guys :)

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Sarah!

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brocious Thank you, Bill! :)

message 45: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Cordingley | 17 comments Hello, my name is Stephen and I have joined to discover new (to me) authors and books. And hopefully make some new friends too.

message 46: by Char (new)

Hello and welcome to HA, everyone!

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I'm joining HA because I'm already friends with some of the people here and I want to read even more horror! :) :)

message 48: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Welcome, Stephen & Ashley!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi folks,

I'm a longtime horror fan but took a break from the genre after some of my favorite authors like King grew a bit stale for me.

I recently read Susan Hill's Woman in Black, which I liked, and have been on a haunted house/ghosts kick since.

I haven't kept up to date on new authors, so I'm hoping to find some good, scary books to read. Anyways, just wanted to say hi.

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1 comments Hi everyone,

My name's Sophie and I'm from London. I love horror books but can't watch horror films (think it's the music that creeps me out). I particularly love zombie and ghost stories. I'm always on the lookout for a good ghost book, so if anyone has any recommendations let me know!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 172 173