Books 'N Booze Book Club discussion

September 2015 > Which Banned Book Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) | 334 comments Mod
Hi all. Please use this space to give us a heads up as to which book you'll be reading for September's CYO Banned Book. I will try to add them to the Currently Reading Bookshelf as they come in.

As for me, I will be reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow because I was so entertained by the idea that it promotes "hacker culture."

I'm very excited about this discussion, and can't wait to hear what others are reading. I will also be doing a little more digging around to find out why this book seems so threatening to people, so please feel free to share any info you find out about your book as well. There's no pressure to do outside research on this, though, so you can ignore that idea if you want :-)

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1 comments I have read so many of the "classic" banned books that I am going to read a newer one. After much searching and deliberating and hemming and hawing I am going to read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I have never read it but it has been on my wish list for a while. I also happen to own it, having picked it up at a garage sale this summer for $1. Win-win.

Sara

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris Laabs Malmberg (the-hat-lady) | 43 comments I am very excited to read and discuss next monthes banned books! I think it will be really intersting what everyone chooses to read. I am reading Slaughter House -Five by Kurt Vonnegut and I am listening to Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Both are off to a good interesting start!

message 4: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 11 comments I am finishing up Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I have The Chocolate War as my on deck book to continue the banned-book idea. However, you all read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian before I joined, so that's on the TBR list as well. Just in case there is time for both. :)

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Ahh, I'm even more excited for this discussion! This is gonna be so fun.

As you're reading your chosen book, do chime in here with initial impressions, too.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments I will be reading Thirteen Reasons Why. Narrowed it down to that one or Crank. Will probably end up reading both eventually. Looking forward to this!

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Ooh, I've wanted to read those, too. I think my TBR list is going to explode after this!

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Oh wait, I have read Crank. Good book :-)

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Alex, I LOVED that book. However, I know from previous conversations that many people do not agree with me ;-) We do have plenty of other choices here if you need a suggestion.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris Laabs Malmberg (the-hat-lady) | 43 comments Finished I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, highly recommended! Onto The Chocolate War.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Kris, I just put IKWTCBS on audio on hold for myself. What a great idea, thanks!

Alex, you'll have to let me know how Nineteen Minutes is; I've felt inclined to read JP until her books started getting challenged.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Passionate responses are a good thing! I'm getting more and more excited for this discussion. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks/thought of their book.

message 13: by Kara (new)

Kara | 2 comments Finally selected and started Persepolis. Since I don't have a lot of experience with graphic novels, I wanted to see how the format would influence my feelings towards the challenges. Liking it so far. Now to see if I can finish it by Thursday...

message 14: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 11 comments Kris wrote: "Finished I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, highly recommended! Onto The Chocolate War."

I read The Chocolate War, as well! I am interested to see what you think of it. In all honesty, I couldn't connect with the characters so it was hard for me to get into.

After reading three banned books I sorta understand why this happens, but all-in-all I'm still surprised. I had to look up why these books were banned to see if I was correct in the reasoning. In some cases, I wasn't.

It's amazing how narrow-minded people can be.

message 15: by Theresa (new)

Kara wrote: "Finally selected and started Persepolis. Since I don't have a lot of experience with graphic novels, I wanted to see how the format would influence my feelings towards the challenges. Liking it so ..."

Ooh, I can't wait to hear what you think about that, Kara. I LOVED that book.

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Jackie B. wrote: "Kris wrote: "Finished I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, highly recommended! Onto The Chocolate War."

I read The Chocolate War, as well! I am interested to see what you think of it. In..."

Honestly, I don't think I ever read The Chocolate War, so I'm also intrigued to hear what you both thought of it.